Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Whats the law for riding on public roads in the snow?

This is a discussion on Whats the law for riding on public roads in the snow? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Public Forums category; I have heard that depending on the state, you are allowed to ride an atv on public roads if the snow emergency route is in ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Public Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Welcome to General Discussion. This is a general forum where we talk about anything that is NON-GRIZZLY related. Please post in the appropriate forum that relates (we have engine forums, tire forums, accessory forums...and all the others too) to your topic. This way when someone (including us) comes here to look for answers, it will be a lot easier to find info. If you are posting something in general that you cant find a forum for, then this is the place to put it. Thanks for helping us try to get the info organized.

clayton2127 is on a distinguished road
11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Whats the law for riding on public roads in the snow?

I have heard that depending on the state, you are allowed to ride an atv on public roads if the snow emergency route is in effect.. Apparently the atv has to be equipped with a safety light and a plow.. Can anyone verify this info? Especially in maryland if you know.lol. I did some searching on google and couldnt find anything.
clayton2127 is offlineReport Post

CharlieHo is just really niceCharlieHo is just really niceCharlieHo is just really niceCharlieHo is just really niceCharlieHo is just really nice

11-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I doubt it's any different than any other time.

Chances are, an officer may be more likely to look the other way when there are a couple feet of snow covering the road

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
CharlieHo is offlineReport Post
CRASH STUNT MEMBER

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,180 Posts
desertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond repute

11-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHo View Post
I doubt it's any different than any other time.

Chances are, an officer may be more likely to look the other way when there are a couple feet of snow covering the road
I've got to go with CH on this however you only have to go to your local MVD(Motor Vehical Dept.)
But common sence would say in a snow emergancy what ever you got that can get you out of trouble would be OK!
OG/GROC Member #1
Thought of joining the Original Grizzly Roll Over Club? (OG/ GROC)
PM me and I'll tell you whats required to join.
All Grizzly's welcome!
desertdweller is offlineReport Post

Johnny mac has much to be proud ofJohnny mac has much to be proud ofJohnny mac has much to be proud ofJohnny mac has much to be proud ofJohnny mac has much to be proud ofJohnny mac has much to be proud ofJohnny mac has much to be proud ofJohnny mac has much to be proud ofJohnny mac has much to be proud of
11-25-2009, 10:50 PM
SNOW! Aint that a 4 letter word? Where are our moderators?
Johnny mac is offlineReport Post

Grizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond repute

11-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Haha, i dont know about the snow thing. Usually when theres a good amount of snow on the road and the plows havent came through, i go on the road and rip around, once its plowed though i usually dont because of the grit and chemicals they spread. In in a small community though, people dont care, and when theres snow on the road security isnt patrolling, so its fair game!
08' Grizzly 700 EPS: US Yamaha front brushguard, Full ricochet skids, 3.5" Rox risers, solex bars, odi grips, rox handguards, 27" Maxxis zillas, Tamarack Classic box, Viper 3k winch, 2r tip, 2r foot pegs and traction rails, 2r front receiver, uni filter, pod mod, hanger mod, greasless, Rigid D2s, Rigid 10" SR

2013 Can Am Renegade 1000 XXC

Lots o' mods
Grizzrider08 is offlineReport Post

Niskibum is a jewel in the roughNiskibum is a jewel in the roughNiskibum is a jewel in the rough
11-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny mac View Post
For those of us lucky enough to live in an area that gets a lot of snow, it is by far the best riding! No choking on the dust, no amateurs on the trail, unmatched scenery, a chance to actually use 4 wheel drive, and if you put a set of tracks on you can forget about the trails and just go wherever you want to. Yep, I'll take riding in the snow over riding in the summer every time.

As far as riding on the roads, in Idaho it's legal to ride on them all year long if you get the license and equipment. Snow just makes it funner.
Niskibum is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Niskibum For This Useful Post:
mrycar (12-06-2009)
CRASH STUNT MEMBER

desertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond repute

11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niskibum View Post
For those of us lucky enough to live in an area that gets a lot of snow, it is by far the best riding! No choking on the dust, no amateurs on the trail, unmatched scenery, a chance to actually use 4 wheel drive, and if you put a set of tracks on you can forget about the trails and just go wherever you want to. Yep, I'll take riding in the snow over riding in the summer every time.

As far as riding on the roads, in Idaho it's legal to ride on them all year long if you get the license and equipment. Snow just makes it funner.
I agree with you completely BUT
Out here in the wild west, we don't need no stinking snow to ride all day every day. Using 4 wheel drive here is manditory not optional! The sites and sounds and smells are breath taking and you don't have to get wet or cold. Oh yah YEAR ROUND BABY!!!!!!!!!
OG/GROC Member #1
All Grizzly's welcome!
I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute

11-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller View Post
Out here in the wild west, we don't need no stinking snow to ride all day every day. Using 4 wheel drive here is manditory not optional! The sites and sounds and smells are breath taking and you don't have to get wet or cold. Oh yah YEAR ROUND BABY!!!!!!!!!
Stop trying to make us jealous Ray! OOoooops! Too Late!
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

~Muckboy is offlineReport Post
CRASH STUNT MEMBER

11-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Muckboy View Post
Stop trying to make us jealous Ray! OOoooops! Too Late!
I'm really sorry Matt, When winter comes around I just gota spread the word on how darn lucky I am some times. But hey you guy's are the lucky ones because you get to use those plow kits. hehehe
OG/GROC Member #1
All Grizzly's welcome!

Niskibum is a jewel in the roughNiskibum is a jewel in the roughNiskibum is a jewel in the rough
11-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Jealous! If you want something to be jealous of watch these!

http://www.youtube.com/rockmanatv#p/u/17/yRdQ6_kcS6c

http://www.youtube.com/rockmanatv#p/u/11/SNdLPd3Aopk

http://www.youtube.com/rockmanatv#p/u/4/xnZj4St-G5M

You desert dwellers might want to wrap a blanket around you first, we'd hate for you to get a chill. You could fall down and break a hip or something. Some people don't know how unlucky they really are!
Niskibum is offlineReport Post

El Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud of

11-27-2009, 12:55 AM
EVEL AS ALWAYS

Around here you should be capable of evading high speed pursuit.... OR ELSE!!!Luckily it only snows once in a blue moon here and we don't need no freakin' handwarmers. Nothing like a stream of snot when you're pushing it pretty good. How long 'till spring anyway?????I'll bet ole desert is warming his bones in the sun right now. LuckyI've got the Great Smoky Mountains to the west and the even greater Atlantic Ocean to the east so I'll continue to endure a couple of cold months ...I guess. Snow is ok but that ice........NASTY.

Gary is on a distinguished road
11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
The same as the State laws that exist where you are residing. An exception would be in an emergency situation - you'd get stopped but not likel cited - depending on the interpretation of your story by the officer.

Gary
Gary is offlineReport Post

ramman360 is on a distinguished road

12-05-2009, 06:44 AM
In pa if snow emergency plan is in effect you can ride the roads. In MD it is illegal to ride the roads in any weather condition. Maryland sux

mudslinger828 is a jewel in the roughmudslinger828 is a jewel in the roughmudslinger828 is a jewel in the rough

12-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Where we live in rural PA, we don't have any local police. Our only coverage is by the Staties and they are too busy in the highways when the snow flies. So, once we get a couple of inches on the roads at night we take the quads for a spin. Sometimes we'll have a group of 6 or more quads. It's a blast with no cars on the road.
Viper MX3500 winch w/synthetic rope
Rotopax
Swisher Plow
Garmin GPS w/ram mount
Tamarack V-front box
Rox Handguards
AP skid plates
Uni filter

2007 Grizzly 450 SE-wife's ride

My riding pics: http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...udding%20Pics/
Password:grizz660 if needed
mudslinger828 is offlineReport Post
Moab Aficionado

Gusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller View Post
Ray, you'll just never learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niskibum View Post

Concur with the Potato State Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny mac View Post
JMAC,

HEAT and DUST are the 4 letter words!

Gusman

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Public Forums > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
atv use in a snow eme?gency
can i drive an atv on the road in a snow storm
can i ride atv on road during pa state of emergency
can i ride my atv on public roads state of emegency virginia
can you drive on the road during a snow emergency in pa?
can you drive utv during state of emergancy in ny state
can you ride a atv during a snow emergency

can you ride atvs on the road during a state of emergency

can you use an atv on the e streets during a snow emergency in pa
if it is a state of emergency can you ride atv on road
pa atv snow emergency laws
pa snomobiles during emergency

pa snow emergency rules

pa state of emergency snow rules

when its snows can you ride an atv on the road est virginia
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.