Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Thoughts on a Yamaha 225 DX 3-Wheeler?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on a Yamaha 225 DX 3-Wheeler? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Public Forums category; I am going tonight to take a look at a used Yamaha 225 DX 3-wheeler and wanted to know what your thoughts are on them? ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Public Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Welcome to General Discussion. This is a general forum where we talk about anything that is NON-GRIZZLY related. Please post in the appropriate forum that relates (we have engine forums, tire forums, accessory forums...and all the others too) to your topic. This way when someone (including us) comes here to look for answers, it will be a lot easier to find info. If you are posting something in general that you cant find a forum for, then this is the place to put it. Thanks for helping us try to get the info organized.

AHILL is on a distinguished road

12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Thoughts on a Yamaha 225 DX 3-Wheeler?

I am going tonight to take a look at a used Yamaha 225 DX 3-wheeler and wanted to know what your thoughts are on them? I grew up riding 3-wheelers , but never owned one myself and this machine was one of many I always wanted as a kid. I have a chance to pick one up for $500.00 and from the pictures, looks in good shape for the year. I believe it is a 1984 or 85, I cannot remember, but for the money, I could re-live my childhood dream. Still love my Grizzly, but always loved riding them as a kid and in some ways like it more then a 4-wheeler. Please let me know your thoughts? THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by AHILL; 12-02-2009 at 03:07 PM..
AHILL is offlineReport Post

JHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond reputeJHFWIC has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
ONE WORD DANGERS! I would not have one if it was give to ME.

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,120 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2009, 05:22 PM
If it's what you want then do it. I had two big reds and a Yamaha 185 three wheeler with no brakes and a twist throttle that always stuck. All my 3 wheeler memories are of crashes :)

Last edited by wayupnorth; 12-02-2009 at 05:22 PM..
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post
CRASH STUNT MEMBER

Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,186 Posts
desertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHFWIC View Post
ONE WORD DANGERS! I would not have one if it was give to ME.
DIDO!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
If it's what you want then do it. I had two big reds and a Yamaha 185 three wheeler with no brakes and a twist throttle that always stuck. All my 3 wheeler memories are of crashes :)
DIDO AGAIN!!!!!!
OG/GROC Member #1
Thought of joining the Original Grizzly Roll Over Club? (OG/ GROC)
PM me and I'll tell you whats required to join.
All Grizzly's welcome!
desertdweller is offlineReport Post

Grizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHILL View Post
I am going tonight to take a look at a used Yamaha 225 DX 3-wheeler and wanted to know what your thoughts are on them? I grew up riding 3-wheelers , but never owned one myself and this machine was one of many I always wanted as a kid. I have a chance to pick one up for $500.00 and from the pictures, looks in good shape for the year. I believe it is a 1984 or 85, I cannot remember, but for the money, I could re-live my childhood dream. Still love my Grizzly, but always loved riding them as a kid and in some ways like it more then a 4-wheeler. Please let me know your thoughts? THANK YOU!!!
Looks like this one?

Thats my friend's. I was fallowing him around his farm with it, went into some trails in the woods, and for the 45 mins we were in the woods, think he rolled it 3-4 times. Real unstable from what ive seen, specially off cambers going down hill. They are fun to tool around on, but can be dangerous if your not careful.
08' Grizzly 700 EPS: US Yamaha front brushguard, Full ricochet skids, 3.5" Rox risers, solex bars, odi grips, rox handguards, 27" Maxxis zillas, Tamarack Classic box, Viper 3k winch, 2r tip, 2r foot pegs and traction rails, 2r front receiver, uni filter, pod mod, hanger mod, greasless, Rigid D2s, Rigid 10" SR

2013 Can Am Renegade 1000 XXC

Lots o' mods
Grizzrider08 is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,120 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
That looks like my old one, I cut a branch off a tree and roped it across the front of the frame for foot rests. Everytime the throttle stuck I would have to jump off while the bike went and did it's thing :)
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

TripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to behold

12-03-2009, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't step foot on one myself, but since you grew up riding them you know a whole heck of a lot more than I. I am sure you could have a lot of fun on it and you won't be out that much money. I know the engine and transmission are really good as I have a 87 MOTO 4 with the same setup and it still runs like a top.
TripleR is offlineReport Post

kwit is on a distinguished road
12-03-2009, 01:36 AM
wow sounds like you guys are safer on quads! .. the 225dx is a great machine. and the truth of the matter is that in the 70s if honda didnt make the us90 then atvs wouldnt have been born in the us until somone did! 3 wheelers arnt really that unsafe. iv rode them since i was 8 and never had an accident that wasnt totally my fualt... when you go to look at the wheeler tho make sure that the rear shaft drive is in real go condition (no clunking, shifts good,no noise while moving) they were natorious for having rear end probs back in the 80s. might wat to go ahead and try out a honda 250sx? or maybe a 200x if you want somthing more sporty? .. the 225 dx is a great machine tho for 500 and the plastic is decent and it runs good ... grab it you wont be disaponted! ... hope you can ride better then some couch riden 4x4 riders .....:O did i just say that? lol check out my atcs ATCS pictures by kwit21 - Photobucket

Last edited by kwit; 12-03-2009 at 01:47 AM..
kwit is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to kwit For This Useful Post:
AHILL (12-04-2009)

Vroma is on a distinguished road
12-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Well if you think so then you can purchase it ,its no harm.

Last edited by Vroma; 12-11-2009 at 11:58 PM..
Vroma is offlineReport Post

NCMudHunter is a jewel in the roughNCMudHunter is a jewel in the roughNCMudHunter is a jewel in the roughNCMudHunter is a jewel in the rough

12-03-2009, 07:20 AM
In the 80s I had a heavily modified Honda 250R 3 wheeler (2 stroke). That thing would run 80mph +! I like the geometry better on 4 wheelers. Thats what lifes about man. If you want it, $500 isn't to bad-buy it. Just be careful!!

"Observe the masses and do the opposite".
NCMudHunter is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to NCMudHunter For This Useful Post:
AHILL (12-04-2009)

Lloyd Smale will become famous soon enough

12-03-2009, 07:49 AM
totaly agree. I owned a 225 and a 200 and also a 250 2 strroker and had a ball on all of them. If you want to die they will allow for it but then if you really want to die you can do that on any 4 wheeler made too. They have there limitations and you need to respect them but if you do youll find you have a much more manuverable rig in the really tight woods and a very reliable rig to boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwit View Post
wow sounds like you guys are safer on quads! .. the 225dx is a great machine. and the truth of the matter is that in the 70s if honda didnt make the us90 then atvs wouldnt have been born in the us until somone did! 3 wheelers arnt really that unsafe. iv rode them since i was 8 and never had an accident that wasnt totally my fualt... when you go to look at the wheeler tho make sure that the rear shaft drive is in real go condition (no clunking, shifts good,no noise while moving) they were natorious for having rear end probs back in the 80s. might wat to go ahead and try out a honda 250sx? or maybe a 200x if you want somthing more sporty? .. the 225 dx is a great machine tho for 500 and the plastic is decent and it runs good ... grab it you wont be disaponted! ... hope you can ride better then some couch riden 4x4 riders .....:O did i just say that? lol check out my atcs ATCS pictures by kwit21 - Photobucket
Lloyd Smale is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd Smale For This Useful Post:
AHILL (12-04-2009)

KidAgain is on a distinguished road

12-03-2009, 08:09 AM
The 225 DX was my first ATV back in 1984--lots of fond memories as it was a great machine.

They can be dangerous--but what fun isn't?
KidAgain is offlineReport Post

AHILL is on a distinguished road

12-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwit View Post

Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and bought it and have already re-lived my early childhood on it. I agree with what everyone has said, sure I know they can be risky to ride if you don't know how to ride them. Look at what the Federal government is starting to do with the Side x Side issue. All because afew riders screwed up, they whole group is now getting a close look and the government thinks they need to protect everyone because of a few accidents all most likely caused by rider error. I have a Grizzly 550 and love it, but I still think for all around fun riding nothing beats the Three Wheeler if riden correctly. And I agree 100% with you kwit, if it wasn't for Honda then we might not have ATV's today?? I started on a 1969 Honda ATC 90 and rode everything I could back then just to get on one. This is my first owned Three Wheeler, but had family who all had them and this was something I always wanted. Now, at 40, 30 years later I have one for only $500.00 it does need some work, but runs great. I look forward to just playing around on it and having fun. I am going to try to completely re-store it as I remember as a kid. I will get before and after pictures of it as I go. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find parts for this 1985 225DX other then Ebay? I would appreciate any ideas.

Last edited by AHILL; 12-04-2009 at 02:56 PM..
AHILL is offlineReport Post

TripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to beholdTripleR is a splendid one to behold

12-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Congratulations on your new bike. I agree anything can be safe if ridden within its and the operators skill level and machines design parameters or dangerous if exceeded.

For pure fun, I always preferred dirt bikes and my philosophy was if you aren't crashing, you aren't having fun; too old to do that any more; have fun.
TripleR is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to TripleR For This Useful Post:
AHILL (12-04-2009)
Moab Aficionado

Gusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond repute

12-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Good move! Any OHV can be dangerous. I have an 85 Honda Big Red ATC250ES. I love it. I have a blast on it but as with any OHV, they can be dangerous but look at it this way; I have had less accidents on my 3 wheeler than Desertdweller has had on his Grizzly. Just a thought to consider.

Gusman
AHILL (12-04-2009)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Public Forums > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
1983 yamaha 225dx
1985 yamaha 3 wheeler 225 specs
parts for a yamaha 250 shaft drive three wheeler
whats the horsepower of a yamaha 225 three wheeler

yamaha 225 3 wheeler

yamaha 225 dx
yamaha 225 dx specs

yamaha 225dx

yamaha 225dx 3 wheeler
yamaha 225dx motor swap
yamaha 225dx specs
yamaha 325 3 wheeler
yamaha dx 225
yamaha dx225
yamaha ytm 225 reviews
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.