Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

What brand quad is the worst???

This is a discussion on What brand quad is the worst??? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Public Forums category; Ok kids, we all know what brand quad is the best in the world...but what major manufacturer makes the worst quad on the market? Not ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Public Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Welcome to General Discussion. This is a general forum where we talk about anything that is NON-GRIZZLY related. Please post in the appropriate forum that relates (we have engine forums, tire forums, accessory forums...and all the others too) to your topic. This way when someone (including us) comes here to look for answers, it will be a lot easier to find info. If you are posting something in general that you cant find a forum for, then this is the place to put it. Thanks for helping us try to get the info organized.

View Poll Results: What manufacturer makes the worst quad?
Yamaha 3 1.72%
Honda 9 5.17%
Can Am/BRP 7 4.02%
Arctic Cat 46 26.44%
Suzuki 5 2.87%
Polaris 91 52.30%
Kawasaki 13 7.47%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Hold my beer watch this..

AKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Smile What brand quad is the worst???

Ok kids, we all know what brand quad is the best in the world...but what major manufacturer makes the worst quad on the market? Not trying to start any fights here so keep it clean and fun.

If you were stranded in the woods and "this" particular brand of quad came around to rescue you...you would decide to walk out. What brand would it be?

To keep it fair, I will even add Yamaha to the list...that way we can pick out the spies in the group.
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, Hunterworks Tri-Fire Plus CDI, Hunterworks Aluminum top, Uni filter, Ebay exhaust tip, Hunterworks full windshield, 26" Terracross tires on Series 7s, EPI Clutch Kit, 450 roller weights, Hunterworks Machined Sheave

Visit My Garage

Friends don't let friends moderate drunk!
AKMuddy is offlineReport Post

Jstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to behold

03-30-2010, 07:40 PM
forgot Chinese quads ;)

Pics of the Ride

Street vehicle
'12 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior 4x4
Black on Black.
Jstowell2008 is offlineReport Post

AKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond reputeAKMuddy has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstowell2008 View Post
forgot Chinese quads ;)
I am only looking at "major" manufactures...not the "knock off" brands. We all know they suck for real quadding!
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, Hunterworks Tri-Fire Plus CDI, Hunterworks Aluminum top, Uni filter, Ebay exhaust tip, Hunterworks full windshield, 26" Terracross tires on Series 7s, EPI Clutch Kit, 450 roller weights, Hunterworks Machined Sheave

Visit My Garage

DSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Man, tough question. I cant pick an absolute worse. I think all the big name manufacturers are making pretty good bikes these days. They all have their weaknesses, just in different areas. Some manufactures models are crap, but that same manufacturer may make another bike thats great.... so its hard to say.

With that said i would like to point out what i see as major weaknesses of certain bikes.

It just seems that the kawasuki broken force lives up to its nick name pretty often. Electrical problems, bikes with low hours having engine failures, the list goes on. Their belt system is not the best either.

As far as the sportsman, the older generation bikes seem notorious for burning up belts and frequent belt slippage. I have heard about some premature wear and failure on front end parts of the new xps as well. They seem to have more random problems than others imo

Arctic cat - I have never ridden one but i hear they are very unstable, dont handle well, and dont have a very good ride.

Honda - I am a honda fan and believe they make great bikes. That rincon tranny is a disaster though! 3 speed automotive style tranny. For one, if that baby breaks, your looking at very costly repairs. For two, the grears are tooo long. Thats the last type of tranny i would ever consider putting in a quad if i was an atv engineer.

Can am - I have ridden a new renegade x 800r. Those things are awesome! Only problem is the most important part of the bike is weak. The frame. Big uh oh by can am engineers if you ask me

Last edited by DSCZ71; 03-30-2010 at 07:56 PM..
DSCZ71 is offlineReport Post
I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
I gotta vote PoPo...
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

~Muckboy is offlineReport Post

Jstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to beholdJstowell2008 is a splendid one to behold

03-30-2010, 07:52 PM
ditto on the popo

Pics of the Ride

Street vehicle
'12 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior 4x4
Black on Black.
Jstowell2008 is offlineReport Post

vamped350griz has a spectacular aura aboutvamped350griz has a spectacular aura about

03-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm saying Arctic cat.....or kitty cat, arctic crap, polar bear s**t, what ever you want to call it,

Only good thing i hear about them is the warrantys
homemade exhaust tip
27" vampires
Fully snorkeled

Red 01 Toyota Tundra 4x4
Cold Air Intake
True Dual Flowmaster super 44s
35x12.50x17 BFGs on custom painted procomp rims
3" Lift in the front
vamped350griz is offlineReport Post
Grizzly Patrol

officer641 is a splendid one to beholdofficer641 is a splendid one to beholdofficer641 is a splendid one to beholdofficer641 is a splendid one to beholdofficer641 is a splendid one to beholdofficer641 is a splendid one to beholdofficer641 is a splendid one to behold

03-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I have a Grizzly, Arctic Cat, and Kawisaki and really like all of them the only ATV I have ridden that I did not like is a Popo. Hard to start hard to handle and expencive to work on.

My vote goes to PoPo.
officer641 is online nowReport Post

03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
It interesting to see how folks vote...even more interesting, all the moderators that have voted all voted the same. Too funny!!!

Visit My Garage

StupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to behold

03-31-2010, 01:40 AM
I saw it as a close tie between popo, and AC. Just for the reliability factor.

-The can-am front diff blows, and frame is weak.
-Kawi has electricial and belt issues
-Popo has electrical, poor suspension (front end ball joints, and rear bushings. UG)
-Yami, I have went through 2 front axles and 1 front diff and I only run 589s in 27" flavor, and no power mods.
-Suzuki, no grease points in suspension, so bushings go in a year of mud/water riding if you dont put them in, twitchy steering, castor mod, or stablizer needed. Low GC. But tough as nails
-AC just a lot of silly breakdowns. Nothing really jumps out.
07 Red 700 Grizzly. EPI Clutch Kit, Powermad Hand Guards, Heated Grips and Thumb, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, One Off, Dual 2" Intake Snorkels, 2" CVT snorkels, 27" 589s (to be changed). Monkey Axkes Up Front, VDI sitting and waiting. 11:1 on its way, maybe cam
StupidNewbie is offlineReport Post
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

03-31-2010, 06:06 AM
sn ac had and still has from what I have read the front diffs and their plastic cages blowing up. There for a while they didn`t even have their own motors.

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post

benshelton700 is a jewel in the roughbenshelton700 is a jewel in the roughbenshelton700 is a jewel in the rough

03-31-2010, 09:28 AM
As far as reliability goes... Kawasaki, atvs of course, my brother and I have had KFX dirtbikes that were awesome. Back to atvs, I'm calling out the Brute... The rear motor seal doesnt seal from the factory, charging system is garbage, shafts look like toothpicks from factory, my friend mechanics say if you get 200 hrs out of them you might have a good one; and they all ride Brutes! . Power doesnt mean everything. Just a problematic atv.... in my opinion

Zillas 30x11x14
Itp 14" 212s
Ehs Lid
Ehs Intake
Epi Orange, Stall Springs
4- Kodiak Weights
PCV with dyno tune
Dyna FS CDI
HMF Utility
Warn 2500
Coops mod #2 & #3, 1mm shim
Custom Fiberglass Sound
Blue L.E.D Mounted to Frame
More 'go' mods coming soon
benshelton700 is offlineReport Post

RAWGrizzly is on a distinguished road

03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Is everyone refering to the Old "Popos" or the new XP series. From what I have seen and heard, Polaris has come a long way with the XP series quads. I've riden a few and they handle well, as well as my 700 Grizzly, and have huge amounts of power.

T
RAWGrizzly is offlineReport Post

Yamaguy is a jewel in the roughYamaguy is a jewel in the roughYamaguy is a jewel in the rough

03-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Well as said before all brands have problems. That said IMO Honda makes the worst atv's unless all you do is ride on dry groomed trails. They won't redesign there brakes so that you can get more than 20 mi out of them. They refuse to add required things like front diff lock, and IFS. Now Honda does have some great engines, but that is not everything. My AC has been issue free and almost unstopable. My next atv will be a AC as well.

07 Griz 700 EPS Special Edition
Yami overfenders- 26"XTR's on black ITP wheels

08 Wolverine 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
Winch. Winch trumps tires everytime- you can get stuck with any set of tires and there you sit if you don't have a winch. Winch, extra rope and brains can get you thru it all even with dunflops.

Last edited by Yamaguy; 03-31-2010 at 12:49 PM..
Yamaguy is offlineReport Post

Yamaguy is a jewel in the roughYamaguy is a jewel in the roughYamaguy is a jewel in the rough

03-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Also when I think about atv's to own in my mind there are four Brands.

Yamaha Arctic Cat (are even in all areas IMO and the only two I will probably ever own)

CanAm (crazy power and great design. Except for that Crappy ViscoLock system, and they are overpriced.)

Polaris (yeah they make atv's but I Cannot get past plastic racks and past belt issues.)

07 Griz 700 EPS Special Edition
Yami overfenders- 26"XTR's on black ITP wheels

08 Wolverine 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
Winch. Winch trumps tires everytime- you can get stuck with any set of tires and there you sit if you don't have a winch. Winch, extra rope and brains can get you thru it all even with dunflops.

Last edited by Yamaguy; 03-31-2010 at 01:50 PM..
Yamaguy is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Public Forums > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
best and worst atv
best and worst atv's

best and worst utv

best to worst rated forwheelers

most reliable atv brand

most reliable atvs
what is the best brand of atv to buy
what is the most reliable atv

worst atv

worst atv brand

worst atv to buy
worst atvs
worst chinese atv
worst utility atvs
worst utv to buy forums
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.