Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Brake fluid

This is a discussion on Brake fluid within the General Discussion forums, part of the Public Forums category; I just changed all my brake pads on my 05 Grizzly 660. I had to take the calipers right off so that I could compress ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Public Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Welcome to General Discussion. This is a general forum where we talk about anything that is NON-GRIZZLY related. Please post in the appropriate forum that relates (we have engine forums, tire forums, accessory forums...and all the others too) to your topic. This way when someone (including us) comes here to look for answers, it will be a lot easier to find info. If you are posting something in general that you cant find a forum for, then this is the place to put it. Thanks for helping us try to get the info organized.

Will Erickson is on a distinguished road
08-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Brake fluid

I just changed all my brake pads on my 05 Grizzly 660. I had to take the calipers right off so that I could compress the piston enough to get the new pads in. There has been nothing left of the old pads for quite awhile so I had to put it in a vice as they were quite stiff. Anyway, I lost a fair bit of brake fluid in the process. Should I drain the remaining fluid and start fresh or should I be okay to just top it up? Also, does anyone know the front and rear capacity?
Will Erickson is offlineReport Post

swdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really nice

08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Erickson View Post
I just changed all my brake pads on my 05 Grizzly 660. I had to take the calipers right off so that I could compress the piston enough to get the new pads in. There has been nothing left of the old pads for quite awhile so I had to put it in a vice as they were quite stiff. Anyway, I lost a fair bit of brake fluid in the process. Should I drain the remaining fluid and start fresh or should I be okay to just top it up? Also, does anyone know the front and rear capacity?
Here is what I would do. Take it for what its worth.

Buy dot 4 brake fluid (i use Valvoline synthetic). Use a turkey baster to get most of the old stuff out, or bleed it down to the brake line orifice in the master. Then fill with new fluid and bleed the furthest wheel first. Bleed till you get clean fluid through the bleeder valve. The old stuff is full of water and crud and needs to go.

As far as capacity goes…I can’t imagine more than a couple of ounces for front and rear. I would think the smaller bottle of fluid would be enough for both front and rear masters.

Edit: make sure you clean up any brake fluid. Over time, that stuff will eat powder coating off your master or anything else it comes in contact with.
'02 Gizzly 660, ITP T7 Beadlocks on 26" OP Bighorns, Greaseless, UTVCrap Machined Sheave, Dynojet (DJ155 w/#45 pilot), DizGrizz RX-5032 K&N Mod, 2" Stainless Tip ... dats it

Last edited by swdockter; 08-05-2010 at 06:01 PM..
swdockter is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to swdockter For This Useful Post:
Will Erickson (08-05-2010)

Will Erickson is on a distinguished road
08-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Next question: I just put my front brakes back on and installed the wheels. I haven't done anything with the fluid yet, just reassembled everything. One of the tires is quite tight, it won't spin easily by hand when off the ground. the other spins a bit better but still seems a bit tight. Is that a problem? or will that re-adjust itself once it's filled and loosened up a bit? Some of my questions may seem a bit silly, but I'm just a parts guys pretending to be a mechanic, so I've been learning lots because apparently I've bouhgt a bit of a lemon, lol
Will Erickson is offlineReport Post

swdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really nice

08-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Erickson View Post
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Next question: I just put my front brakes back on and installed the wheels. I haven't done anything with the fluid yet, just reassembled everything. One of the tires is quite tight, it won't spin easily by hand when off the ground. the other spins a bit better but still seems a bit tight. Is that a problem? or will that re-adjust itself once it's filled and loosened up a bit? Some of my questions may seem a bit silly, but I'm just a parts guys pretending to be a mechanic, so I've been learning lots because apparently I've bouhgt a bit of a lemon, lol
We'll need someone to verify this but I'm pretty sure you have one wheel always engaged in the transfer case and the other one is free wheeling. Put her in 4X4 and then see if that's true. My right front always feels like it has a bad bearing but someone said that’s normal so I ignore it. Not had an issue yet but I have a full set of bearings in waiting.

Now that being said, are you certain the caliper pistons are retracting and letting the pads float freely or are they locking up. Where do you feel the “binding” coming from? How did those caliper pistons look when you had them off? Rusty or dirty? I have a Tacoma with 4 pistons per caliper causing me tons of headaches because not all 4 apply pressure to the rotor at the same rate. Make sure they are working smoothly right after you properly bleed them. When the fluid is withdrawn, so should the pistons ever so slightly. A slight drag is fine when you spin it, but stopping the wheel before one revolution is not right.
'02 Gizzly 660, ITP T7 Beadlocks on 26" OP Bighorns, Greaseless, UTVCrap Machined Sheave, Dynojet (DJ155 w/#45 pilot), DizGrizz RX-5032 K&N Mod, 2" Stainless Tip ... dats it
swdockter is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Public Forums > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
2007 grizzly 660 brake fluid
adding brake fluid to grizzly 450 2014

brake fluid for atv

brake fluid for yamaha rhino
grizzly brake fluid
how to add brake fluid to a atv
how to add brake fluid to rear brakes on grizzly 660
how to release the brake fluid in a yamaha atv
i drained brake fluid in atv, how do i get new fluid to fill lines
what brake fluid yamaha grizzly 660
what kind of brake fluid for a yamaha rhino

yamaha atv brake fluid

yamaha grizzly 660 brake fluid

yamaha grizzly brake fluid

yamaha rhino brake fluid

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.