Let's build a house! - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
General Discussion Welcome to General Discussion. This is a general forum where we talk about anything that is NON-GRIZZLY related. Please post in the appropriate forum that relates (we have engine forums, tire forums, accessory forums...and all the others too) to your topic. This way when someone (including us) comes here to look for answers, it will be a lot easier to find info. If you are posting something in general that you cant find a forum for, then this is the place to put it. Thanks for helping us try to get the info organized.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 278 Old 10-17-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,223 Posts

Let's build a house!

The wife and I were out looking at houses a couple weeks ago. That's kind of a pastime for her and the kids on lazy weekends. As I have been off work and the kids were with her parents, I was volunteered to tag along. We looked at a few houses being built near us just to look at floor plans. Most of them we didn't care much for but we did come across one that we liked. We talked about changes we might make to the plan and that was all the house talk for that day.

A day or two later, she told me she's done with living in the city. She wants to build in her (rural) hometown roughly 20 road miles from our current house. This is an idea we have toyed with in the past as her family has land there waiting to be gifted to us at any time and it's three miles south of a small town. Until now, its only been talk. I thought about it and told her I was all for it and that we needed to look at finances and talk to a builder. Relocating doesn't affect my work much but it might require her to change jobs. She's an insurance producer and as a courtesy to her agent and the other girl in the office, she let them know she will be looking for other employment as the drive will be way too far after we relocate. The idea came up about her working from home and she is in talks with her boss about setting her up to do just that. This would be great between her getting to stay home with the kids during the summer and the $$$ we'd save on gas! Regardless, this move is happening.

The plan is for this to be our last home. We want it big enough to finish raising our kids (8 and almost 5) and not so big that it's too much to deal with when we're "old". lol. Of course, our budget will play a big roll in the final product. I have a list a mile long of wants! The needs are really a shop and the house. The shop will either serve as storage for excess stuff while our current house is on the market or storage for all our sh!t while we live with her parents if our house sells before the new house is done. Then it will serve the obvious purposes. Some must haves on the house are foam encapsulation instead of traditional insulation and either geothermal or a highly efficient heat / air unit on zones. There's rebates on both through the co-op that serves that area. The shop will either be a 30x40 or 30x50. I'm leaning toward the larger size. My builder is a coworker and cuts friends and family a great deal. He's built houses for many guys I know and there's only been one guy who complained about anything. And that guy was still happy with the house and the instant equity he had in it at closing. When we initially spoke with our builder, we presented him with the plan we liked. He recommended we go to a local architect and look at some plans that had less hall space. We did and found a plan that made more sense and utilized space much better. It just so happens that plan was recently built a few blocks from our house. We went and looked at it and decided that was it with a few modifications.

My wife and I have our respective lists of desired features. Of course, mine includes a whole house generator because that would just be f'n awesome! lol. Realistically, that will probably have to wait a bit to get the shop done and the features of the home that we want. Her list is mostly eye candy type stuff like those giant front doors. Only she wants one for the back door as well... and they're expensive! lol

Financing is in the works now. We have prepared for several prospective scenarios including an unexpected jump in interest rates and the possibility going over budget. Our plan is to break ground on the shop ASAP and on the house in February. Our hope is that we can close before the beginning of school in August 2017 so the kids don't have to change schools mid year.

So here is my question for you all. If you were building today, what features would you want in your new home? Big or small, lay'em on me! We have a pretty diverse group here, so I figured who better to ask! Even if something is suggested that isn't financially feasible, it may possible to make inexpensive arrangements now so that down the road it's a possibility. And think "down the road" also... I'm 41 now. What will I wish I had done when I'm 71?

After closing, we'll have room for any GC members passing through town and a spot to lock up your griz for the night!

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gallon pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...ld-thread.html

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to okbear For This Useful Post:
BDSNJ (10-20-2016), Bearsixty7 (10-18-2016), Grizzly63 (03-30-2017), mainegrizz660 (10-18-2016), PA. GRIZZLY (10-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 AM

7' tall garage doors, extra deep garage bays ( I had mine so my F350 CCLB fits and can still walk behind it) 24' or 25' I think, wish I'd gone a foot more so I could park further from front wall and plug in block heater in winter.
Assuming a 2car bay and a 1 car bay have 4-6' of wall between the double and single door. Gives room for doors to open or have free standing shelves if desired.
Circulating hot water lines for instant hot water or maybe just point of use (under sink) mini heaters.
Outlets every 4' in master bedroom or all bedrooms/office if you can, seems the standard 3-4 per room are never in the best place.
Pre wire for ceiling fans every bedroom.
Have 30-60 minute mechanical timers for bathroom exhaust fans in place of basic switch.
Master bath have prewired for a space/ceiling heater to supplement in coldest days of winter.
In bathrooms install in wall medicine cabinets, largest available!
Kitchen exhaust fan (even if in over the stove microwave) have exhaust actually ducted outside (or into attic at least) I hate ones that just go back into kitchen.
Water heater NOT in attic! I've heard Too many horror stories.
Have an extra switch and outlet installed for front eave lights and use it for plugging in Christmas lights. Simple, easy to use.
One I plan on doing for my next house, 2 dish washers! Load the first one until full, run washer, pull dishes and use as needed, then put dirty ones into 2nd dish washer, reduce time putting dishes in cabinets!

2007 Raptor 700 w/Dr. D reverse, Trailtech Voyager
2010 Polaris Outlaw 50 - SOLD
2011 Can Am DS90X
2012 Grizzly 700 EPS Camo w/Warn XT30, RotoPax Fuel pack.
Yep, that's all of the mod's, they are awesome stock!

Last edited by Bearsixty7; 10-18-2016 at 09:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearsixty7 For This Useful Post:
okbear (10-18-2016)
post #3 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsixty7 View Post
7' tall garage doors, extra deep garage bays ( I had mine so my F350 CCLB fits and can still walk behind it) 24' or 25' I think, wish I'd gone a foot more so I could park further from front wall and plug in block heater in winter.
Assuming a 2car bay and a 1 car bay have 4-6' of wall between the double and single door. Gives room for doors to open or have free standing shelves if desired.
Circulating hot water lines for instant hot water or maybe just point of use (under sink) mini heaters.
Outlets every 4' in master bedroom or all bedrooms/office if you can, seems the standard 3-4 per room are never in the best place.
Pre wire for ceiling fans every bedroom.
Have 30-60 minute mechanical timers for bathroom exhaust fans in place of basic switch.
Master bath have prewired for a space/ceiling heater to supplement in coldest days of winter.
In bathrooms install in wall medicine cabinets, largest available!
Kitchen exhaust fan (even if in over the stove microwave) have exhaust actually ducted outside (or into attic at least) I hate ones that just go back into kitchen.
Water heater NOT in attic! I've heard Too many horror stories.
Have an extra switch and outlet installed for front eave lights and use it for plugging in Christmas lights. Simple, easy to use.
One I plan on doing for my next house, 2 dish washers! Load the first one until full, run washer, pull dishes and use as needed, then out dirty ones into 2nd dish washer, reduce time putting dishes in cabinets!
We're meeting with our builder tonight.
-Current plan for the garage is 25'x35' (double and single stalls). We're making it wider and deeper with taller and wider doors. These diminsions may be tweaked a bit.
-We will have circulating hot water possibly on two loops on separate switches. One to provide instant hot water to the house. The other may be routed under the sidewalks and zig zagged under the driveway for snow and ice purposes.
-We're planning extra kitchen island, guest bath and master bath outlets (especially on her side!). Good idea on the extra master bedroom outlets.
-All bedrooms, office, living and bonus will have fans.
-Good idea on the exhaust fans and ceiling heater.
-Water heater will be in the garage.
-Excellent idea on the eve outlets.
-I don't think we'll have space for two dishwashers.

26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gallon pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50

Last edited by okbear; 10-18-2016 at 08:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to okbear For This Useful Post:
Bearsixty7 (10-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 09:12 AM

#1 Make sure to plan for an outdoor kitchen
#2 Two dishwashers makes life SO much easier - our house had two when we moved in despite being built in 1983 and we recently remodeled the kitchen. This was one thing that we couldn't live without missing a lot today.
#3 Definitely make sure the garage stalls don't limit the size of the truck you can buy
#4 Keep your landscape simple so taking care of it doesn't cut into your riding time.
#5 I will be deeply jealous of your shop...

Lastly, I'm sure it will be stressful. Do your best to enjoy the process.

2012 Grizzly 700 EPS
ITP 212 12 inch wheels
26" Interco Reptiles
JBS Sheave with .5 mm shim
Yamaha Glide Plate
Ricochet A-arm guards
Moose Front & Rear Bumpers
PowerMadd Hand Guards
Ogio Burro Front Bag
Kimpex Outback Pass Seat/Box
Symtec Heated Grips
Warn RT30 Winch
Moose 60" straight plow
ROX Speed Riser Kit

Last edited by MNDirtRider; 10-18-2016 at 09:13 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MNDirtRider For This Useful Post:
Bearsixty7 (10-18-2016), okbear (10-19-2016)
post #5 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDirtRider View Post
#1 Make sure to plan for an outdoor kitchen
#2 Two dishwashers makes life SO much easier - our house had two when we moved in despite being built in 1983 and we recently remodeled the kitchen. This was one thing that we couldn't live without missing a lot today.
#3 Definitely make sure the garage stalls don't limit the size of the truck you can buy
#4 Keep your landscape simple so taking care of it doesn't cut into your riding time.
#5 I will be deeply jealous of your shop...

Lastly, I'm sure it will be stressful. Do your best to enjoy the process.
1- I'll run that one by the wife. I'm pretty much just a grill guy but good idea.
2- I'll have to take another look at the kitchen plan. I'll run that one by the wife as well.
3- Absolutely agree. That's the plan. Our builder hates doing run of the mill stuff. He's great about suggesting the extras that make life easier.
4- Absolutely. I'm all about low maintenance.
5- You can some see it anytime. The beer fridge will be stocked and I'll have a cold one waiting on you.

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
post #6 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbear View Post
We're meeting with our builder tonight.
-Current plan for the garage is 25'x35' (double and single stalls). We're making it wider and deeper with taller and wider doors. These diminsions may be tweaked a bit.
-We will have circulating hot water possibly on two loops on separate switches. One to provide instant hot water to the house. The other may be routed under the sidewalks and zig zagged under the driveway for snow and ice purposes.
-We're planning extra kitchen island, guest bath and master bath outlets (especially on her side!). Good idea on the extra master bedroom outlets.
-All bedrooms, office, living and bonus will have fans.
-Good idea on the exhaust fans and ceiling heater.
-Water heater will be in the garage.
-Excellent idea on the eve outlets.
-I don't think we'll have space for two dishwashers.
Bear..I was a custom building contractor for most of my life. Nearly all of my homes were retirement or recreational.

One of the most important lessons that I learned was...never ever talk just to the man of the house. If the wife is not present you are in for some big trouble. Women know what must be in a home! period. Men only think...is that post or ??? big enough? Is that cheap enough? What's wrong with white paint paint?

My rule of thumb is you need 1.5 bathrooms for ever women in the house or you will be pissing behind the garage. Plan B put one the shop for you and the boys.

With your list above, always use rounded up dimensions your garage should be 26x36. Building materials are based on 2 feet your going to pay for the extra foot anyway. Only use 8' high garage doors or your truck/ boat will live outside where you piss. Always make the garage or shop bigger NOW!

Concentrate outlets where needed every 4 feet at $60 an opening (my area rate)is un-needed and a budget buster.
NEC requires all ceiling light to be wired and reinforced for a ceiling fan.

We have 2 dish washers me and my Queen.
Built many high end rec homes they only had 2 DW's when they had 2 kitchens.

Stay away from Cambria. Nice looking, high buck, basically no warranty. Using a slow cooker or similar can make them crack, Guess what no warranty against cracking. Don't set a AA battery upright on it overnight..burns a hole in the finish (it was not leaking). I did it.

All I have time for now...

Twin sister 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Dirty Egg Salad (Camo)
26" Blackwater EVO's
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels

Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Camo
25" Reptiles
STI HD1 Wheels

2013 Ole blue 700
Putting out to Stud 21365 miles
No eps has MMS
360/120 CVT
UniFilter
26" ML XTR soon
stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.

Retired..05 camo 660

Traded.. 11 green 450eps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reogem For This Useful Post:
DrMud (10-19-2016), okbear (10-18-2016)
post #7 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Definitely think about Geo if your state has the tax credit for it.
Don't waste your money on ice melt. I have installed to many of these that are later shut down because of cost to run them. Not to mention they typically require there own boiler to run.

2015 Polaris Sportsman 850 SP Sunset Red
Superwinch Terra 35 with synthetic rope
GSE Performance exhaust
GSE Performance filter
27" Quadboss QBT672's

2007 Grizzly 700 EPS
EHS intake
PCIII
Dynatek ignition
18gram greaseless sliders
1.7mm shim
1.5" wheel spacers
28" ITP 589's/2nd set 28" Vampires
No name rebuilt fox shocks all four corners
Full aluminum skid plates
Superwinch Terra 35 with synthetic
HD tow hooks front and rear

2012 F150 Platinum EcoBoost
The Following User Says Thank You to 4snowandrally For This Useful Post:
okbear (10-18-2016)
post #8 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 11:20 AM

Personally, I would rather have a small house with nice features than a big house with cheap finishes. If I were building my last home, I would almost build it on the small side, knowing full well that someday it will just be my wife and I living there. Less taxes, less cleaning, etc.

1. I would have the laundry and the master bedroom on the 1st floor. When you are old, you will not want to go up and down stairs.

2. Up here, people are either building with SIPs or double stud walls with a tremendous amount of insulation. The attics are usually insulated with blown in cellulose.

3. If you are planing on building an extremely energy efficient house, make sure you have a builder who knows how to do so. These new homes are extremely air tight. It is very important that the house is properly ventilated so that you have quality air inside the house. If it isn't, the air quality will be horrible, and it may make you sick.

4. Having the home designed by a professional is an upfront cost that could save you money down the road. Remember that every extra corner in the building will cost you money. Complex roof lines cost you money. Also, it is cheaper to build up, than out.

Green 2016 Grizzly 700 EPS
26x9x12 Bearclaw HTRs
Yamaha Glide Plate
Eagle 3500lb Winch
JBS sheave w/ 16g weights and purple EPI Spring. 1 MM Shim
Rox 5" Riser Kit
EHS Tuner

Sold-2009 Grizzly 550 EPS w/ 4,800 miles

Last edited by BlackGrizz550; 10-18-2016 at 11:20 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGrizz550 For This Useful Post:
Bearsixty7 (10-19-2016), DrMud (10-19-2016), okbear (10-19-2016)
post #9 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 11:48 AM

One thing you might want to look at is in floor heat piping. No cold floors in the winter.

05 S.E 660
G.B.C. dirt deveil tires
otherwise box-stock
4930 miles as of 1/1/2017
The Following User Says Thank You to desrat For This Useful Post:
okbear (10-18-2016)
post #10 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 12:45 PM

8' overhead for sure, especially on the shop. Since there is a chance you'll have a tractor, I would go 10 high on the shop. Mine is 8 and my little tractor barely fits with the rops. Build the shop plenty high, so you can build a loft for storage. If you're not planning on a hoist, and you change your own oil think about a pit in the shop. Could double as a shelter if you do it right. Bathroom would be nice too, and sprayed insulation if we're dreaming.

As for the house, a hidden room & a moat.

YACC #44

'13 camo 550-SOLD

'15 700 SE-

-27"bearclaw HTR's/STI beadlocks
-2" snorkels/EHS fuel cont./extended. batt. cables/exh. tip OR barkers
-rox setup
-Switch panel/voltmeter/temp gauge/20"light bar/eagle eye rear lights/led TL panel w/ flash module
-2x pelican 1200/2x pelican 1400 cases
-viper max 3500#/1/4" amsteel blue rope
-ODI rogue
-DIY 1/4" skids/bumper repl.
-machined sheave 3.13:1 ratio, cut camplate
-blocked A.I.S.
The Following User Says Thank You to whiskeymike For This Useful Post:
okbear (10-19-2016)
post #11 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanked 1,292 Times in 774 Posts

Garage
Some great info already.

I would go for shop that could house a RV/Trailer which means it would need 14'-16' doors and keep in mind, if there is any approach slope, that can effectively reduce the available height for a trailer entry... reason by saying 14'-16'. If an RV does sound as something of interest for your shop, then also make sure to have a sewer drain plumbed in for dumping and also, 30a (110V) or a 50a circuit for the RV.

Hot/cold water service and wash tub in the shop. Ability to attach garden hose from the shop.

We have a hydronic heating system (boiler) in our current house and really do like it. You can create multiple zones in the house and also tie in to your hot water service and not require a separate water heater (not the way ours is unfortunately). Keeps the house warm and does not dry out the air since it is not forced air heating. If you do go hydronic, go with a more expensive cast iron unit as it should last long after you are gone.

EDIT: just thought though that you need air conditioning, so forced air is probably preferred to have heating and air. If that is the case, possibly whole house humidifier if it gets dry there.

Heated floors are great, especially in bathrooms when on a timer.

Do you have radon issues there? Don't forget about an active radon system if it is needed.

All LED lighting.

Solar?

- Brad, '07 Grizzly 700 (bought 02/14) | Updated '09 oil line cover w/ RM Stator | Dynatek DFCA-13 FI Controller | 26" BigHorns OG | Yamaha Rhino SE wheels w/ 1" spacers | Coop45 Primary Sheave mod3 & .7mm shim | EPI purple spring | RoxRisers w/ Renthal Fatbar | Ricochet Full skids w/ UHMW Overlays | BlueSea Fuse Block | Yamaha HD bumper w/ Totron 12" LED light bar | Back-up LED light | Heat Demon grips/throttle | Kolpin Fuel Pack | Uni air filter

Last edited by RedRocket; 10-18-2016 at 03:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:
okbear (10-19-2016)
post #12 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
Bear..I was a custom building contractor for most of my life. Nearly all of my homes were retirement or recreational.

One of the most important lessons that I learned was...never ever talk just to the man of the house. If the wife is not present you are in for some big trouble. Women know what must be in a home! period. Men only think...is that post or ??? big enough? Is that cheap enough? What's wrong with white paint paint?

My rule of thumb is you need 1.5 bathrooms for ever women in the house or you will be pissing behind the garage. Plan B put one the shop for you and the boys.

With your list above, always use rounded up dimensions your garage should be 26x36. Building materials are based on 2 feet your going to pay for the extra foot anyway. Only use 8' high garage doors or your truck/ boat will live outside where you piss. Always make the garage or shop bigger NOW!

Concentrate outlets where needed every 4 feet at $60 an opening (my area rate)is un-needed and a budget buster.
NEC requires all ceiling light to be wired and reinforced for a ceiling fan.

We have 2 dish washers me and my Queen.
Built many high end rec homes they only had 2 DW's when they had 2 kitchens.

Stay away from Cambria. Nice looking, high buck, basically no warranty. Using a slow cooker or similar can make them crack, Guess what no warranty against cracking. Don't set a AA battery upright on it overnight..burns a hole in the finish (it was not leaking). I did it.

All I have time for now...
Thanks reo. Make no mistake..... The woman is 85% in charge of the majority. I have veto power if she comes up with something I can't stand. The shop and garage are fully my domain.

The plan has 2 full baths and a half bathroom downstairs and also a half bathroom upstairs. The shop will also have a bathroom eventually. We'll take care of the plumbing for that that before they pour the foundation.

Thanks for the tip on rounding up. Will do. I got a price on the 30x50 shop today. It's doable. Electric and bathroom will have to wait until after closing. We want to pay cash for as much as possible. Once we're in and everything settles down, we'll tackle the "wants".

I agree on the outlets. Extra on each side of the bed, wife's side of the master bath vanity, daughter's side of the kids bathroom, etc. Wiring the house may be handled by myself and a friend who happens to be my wife's uncle. He was an electrician in a past life. He still moonights from time to time. My builder gave me a rough figure of 15k to wire. My buddy said we could probably get materials for 5k and of course I would pay him. Even if I only saved 1/3 of that 15k, I think it's something to look at.

I'm leaning away from the 2 dishwashers idea. We have never had issues in that department before. When it's full, we wash them. When they're done, we put them away. Besides, we have kids that are about big enough to reach the upper cabnits. Isn't that what they're for? lol

Will do on the cambria.

Thank you for all the advice. Keep it coming.

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
post #13 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4snowandrally View Post
Definitely think about Geo if your state has the tax credit for it.
Don't waste your money on ice melt. I have installed to many of these that are later shut down because of cost to run them. Not to mention they typically require there own boiler to run.
Geo will depend on which system we can the best deal on. There are debates for both where we are building. I'll cross that bridge when we get there. The ice melt would be on a switch. Still not a good idea? Thanks for the input!

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
post #14 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGrizz550 View Post
Personally, I would rather have a small house with nice features than a big house with cheap finishes. If I were building my last home, I would almost build it on the small side, knowing full well that someday it will just be my wife and I living there. Less taxes, less cleaning, etc.

1. I would have the laundry and the master bedroom on the 1st floor. When you are old, you will not want to go up and down stairs.

2. Up here, people are either building with SIPs or double stud walls with a tremendous amount of insulation. The attics are usually insulated with blown in cellulose.

3. If you are planing on building an extremely energy efficient house, make sure you have a builder who knows how to do so. These new homes are extremely air tight. It is very important that the house is properly ventilated so that you have quality air inside the house. If it isn't, the air quality will be horrible, and it may make you sick.

4. Having the home designed by a professional is an upfront cost that could save you money down the road. Remember that every extra corner in the building will cost you money. Complex roof lines cost you money. Also, it is cheaper to build up, than out.
1- It is.
2- I did some research on the traditional vs foam encapsulation. Foam is roughly double the cost but is extremely airtight. So much so that some outside air has to be brought in to prevent the air from becoming stale. I was also advised that with foam and the size house we will be building, we would have to drop our a/c unit by 2 tons and go with a 3 ton system so that it would run enough to deal with moisture. My biggest reason for wanting that is because it saves us money forever in the long run.
3. See #2.
4. Great tip. Thank you.

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50

Last edited by okbear; 10-19-2016 at 03:03 PM.
post #15 of 278 Old 10-18-2016, 04:45 PM

If the wife is going to be working from home, I would put in a designated home office in a quiet part of the house. It would be nice if she could contract her services to her current employer and then claim the tax benefits of a home based business.

2014 Grizzly 700 EPS

ITP Black Ops Beadlocks
26" Mud Bugs
LT3000 Superwinch
Yamaha Aluminum A-Arm Guards
Yamaha Glide Plate
Rigid LED SR10 with Handlebar Mount
Jack Nut Plastic Fastener Replace
Shim Mod. 1.7mm
Heat Demon Dual Zone Grips & Throttle
NGK Iridium IX
Twin Air Filter