Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Build Your Own ATV Storage Tube **PICS**

This is a discussion on Build Your Own ATV Storage Tube **PICS** within the Grizzly Accessories forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Might have to try that plug instead. Could be a nice alternative to the screw in caps. Here's the completed tube. Paint finished out nice ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Accessories

Grizzly Accessories Discuss all other Grizzly accessories here.

kstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond repute

01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Might have to try that plug instead. Could be a nice alternative to the screw in caps.

Here's the completed tube. Paint finished out nice for rattle can! 3 zip ties and it'll be ready for trail testing! Just patiently waiting for my new BigHorns this week!

kstateskier is offlineReport Post

merky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of light

01-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Looks good, I built one out of 6" pvc and was using it to store my tow straps and a 15' of tow chain. Last time I went riding in real rocky terrain I heard some rattling so I stopped and found my tow chain was dragging and the other stuff was on the ground. What happened was (from the cold temps I'm guessing) the chain was bouncing inside the tube and actually cracked the pcv end cap and it fell off, something to keep in mind. But for storing light items it works great. Here is a pic mounted on my old Wolvy..

PRM skid plates,oxlite stick stoppers, cycle country rear cv gaurds, 27" Zillas on ITP C- series rims, wheel spacers 2" rear, 1.5" in front, ASR Pro XS tie rods with heims, overfenders, Rox Elite 3 1/2 " pivoting risers, Pro Taper Contour Fat bars, EPI blue spring, 500 stall springs, 16 gr rollers, 1.5mm shim mod, PowerMadd handgaurds, shifter mod, twin air filter, HMF utility, audio tube,skull shifter, 2" front receiver, ODI Rogues,heated grip pads
merky1761 is offlineReport Post

Doublejs will become famous soon enough

01-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Why not drill a small hole through the square plug portion and then use some braided wire rope to attach it to the tube. So put it tight around the tube and crimp it together (so it doesn't come off). That way if the cap comes loose over time it will just hang next to it so you don't loose it.

As for the freezing and thawing, maybe use schedule 80 pipe and fittings??? Just a suggestion.
Doublejs is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,119 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

01-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm surprised you broke an endcap. I carry a 3' long metal 1.5" pipe for use as a winch point in mine. The trick is to use old rags to fill up unused space inside the tube so nothing can shift or move. Everything will wear if it's bouncing around in there. I would never use those test plugs either. No threaded cap is ever going to fall out when you crank it down with channel locks. I have channel locks handy in my storage box anyway so I'm into my tube in seconds. I guess if I rode around without being able to grab a tool in a few seconds the test plugs would be a good idea. I got my routines down though and can get at anything needed or start working on whatever needs it QUICK

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

kstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond repute

01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
I went for a night ride last night (4 hours) and it was the first time I've been out since I built and installed the storage tube. It worked perfect! I put my tree saver strap in there and a rain jacket, extra bottle of water and a ziplock of granola bars. I hand tightened the caps, they never came loose...

And as expected it opened up just the amount of room I needed in my action packer for a flashlight and an air compressor.

I'll snap a pic or two (mainly cuz the Quad got a bath today and the Bighorns yesterday :)

01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I need to find some black Heavy duty Zip Ties... The white 175lb ones don't look so good, but I wanted to test them out anyway.

I think I have a picture taking problem!

the atv tub gave me more room to organize my action packer and fit a compressor in there (far left).

Doublejs will become famous soon enough

01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Try looking at an electrical store. When I worked in the mill, the electricians always had black zip-ties. They were "3M" brand "Cable Ties"
Anyway, looks good!
Doublejs is offlineReport Post

01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I got some black ones coming, my buddy has them at work... But if not I'll check electrical, thanks

irish317 has a spectacular aura aboutirish317 has a spectacular aura aboutirish317 has a spectacular aura about

01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
They run $10 for 60 on eBay. Just wanted to mention it.
irish317 is offlineReport Post

merky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of lightmerky1761 is a glorious beacon of light

01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
I'm surprised you broke an endcap. I carry a 3' long metal 1.5" pipe for use as a winch point in mine. The trick is to use old rags to fill up unused space inside the tube so nothing can shift or move. Everything will wear if it's bouncing around in there. I would never use those test plugs either. No threaded cap is ever going to fall out when you crank it down with channel locks. I have channel locks handy in my storage box anyway so I'm into my tube in seconds. I guess if I rode around without being able to grab a tool in a few seconds the test plugs would be a good idea. I got my routines down though and can get at anything needed or start working on whatever needs it QUICK

Yea I was too, it was 14 degrees out and I'm thinking the cold had something to do with it along with bouncing around inside..

PRM skid plates,oxlite stick stoppers, cycle country rear cv gaurds, 27" Zillas on ITP C- series rims, wheel spacers 2" rear, 1.5" in front, ASR Pro XS tie rods with heims, overfenders, Rox Elite 3 1/2 " pivoting risers, Pro Taper Contour Fat bars, EPI blue spring, 500 stall springs, 16 gr rollers, 1.5mm shim mod, PowerMadd handgaurds, shifter mod, twin air filter, HMF utility, audio tube,skull shifter, 2" front receiver, ODI Rogues,heated grip pads
merky1761 is offlineReport Post

Crashking has a spectacular aura aboutCrashking has a spectacular aura about

01-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
in 2 years Ive never had either plug fall out?

though i think I'm going to go to a couple of old ammo cans for storage next, need a bit more space, and i'm gonna add a seat in between the cans, and mount speakers on top of the ammo cans

Crashking is offlineReport Post

01-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I found that a couple drops of synthetic chain lube on the cap threads allow the caps to go on and off nice and smooth... Just wipe off the excess otherwise it will get on your stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
Red383 (02-29-2012)

Bono Redneck is on a distinguished road

01-16-2011, 02:03 PM
in regards to an air compressor. I bought a mini 12 V compressor from harbor freight for $20.00 and it works great and fits in the storage compartment under the seat perfectly with the OEM tool kit and tire gauge.
Bono Redneck is offlineReport Post
Ron

CLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant future

01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
I carry my tow gear that may get muddy in the front one and my rain gear in two short ones on the rear rack. I used gear clamps to mount them and can switch out the small action packer for a larger one when needed.

2008 Grizzly 700, EPS, 26.5" Pit Bull Rockers on SS112's, Full Ricochet Armor including floorboards, 2500lb Warn on Front(Amsteel Blue Rope), 3000lb Viper on 2" Rear Receiver, Custom Covers (2xbrake, Throttle),32 Mods Total. Visit My Garage.

CLHC is offlineReport Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLHC For This Useful Post:
Red383 (02-29-2012), Yamaguy (04-12-2011)

irish317 has a spectacular aura aboutirish317 has a spectacular aura aboutirish317 has a spectacular aura about

01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
U.S. G.I. Storage Tube Plastic/Waterproof

After I made mine last summer I found this one.
"Authentic Military Issue. Made of a rigid plastic that will not deteriorate in wet conditions. This is a completely waterproof container. This tube has a screw tight lid with a rubber gasket seal. Great item for geo cachers, time capsules, or storage of important documents. Includes rubber carry handle. This tough tube was originally used to house the 81mm mortar. Tube measures approximately: (outside dimensions) 21 1/4 tall x 4 diameter. Used, great condition."
Attached Thumbnails
Build Your Own ATV Storage Tube **PICS**-tube.gif  
irish317 is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Accessories

Search tags for this page

atv attachment ideas

atv chainsaw holder
atv dry storage tube

atv storage rack plans

atv storage tube

atv storage tubesl
building your own atv cargo box
ctn77
diy atv accessories
homemade atv accessories
homemade atv racks with pvc
how to mount pvc storage pipe on atv
make utility box for atv
pvc atv storage
pvc pipe storage for an atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.