Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Need help on winch installation!

This is a discussion on Need help on winch installation! within the Grizzly Accessories forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I just bought a 2011 Grizzy 700 eps about a month ago and im trying to mount a 2500 pound super winch to it. I ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Accessories

Grizzly Accessories Discuss all other Grizzly accessories here.

bigbadgrizz is on a distinguished road
04-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Need help on winch installation!

I just bought a 2011 Grizzy 700 eps about a month ago and im trying to mount a 2500 pound super winch to it. I have it mounted up but i cant figure out where the best place is to put the selenoid and all of the other wiring components.

and also the red wire that is supposed to get tapped into the ignition wire, where is the place place to do that withouit messing anythinbg up?

if anyon e can give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated...thank you
bigbadgrizz is offlineReport Post

doulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond reputedoulos has a reputation beyond repute

04-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I put mine on the rear of the winch mounting plate. There are holes already in the plate for it.

Moose Front & Rear Bumpers
Ricochet Full Skid Plates
Garmin GPSMAP 62st
Kolpin Outfitter Box
Maier Hand Guards
2" Receiver
Rigid D2's
ODI Grips
RotoPax

doulos is offlineReport Post

jwfordracing is a jewel in the roughjwfordracing is a jewel in the roughjwfordracing is a jewel in the roughjwfordracing is a jewel in the rough

04-14-2012, 10:31 PM
ha ha, I asked the same question about the "contactor". I know the directions say to put it somewhere dry. I didnt want to mount mine on the winch plate but it was really the only way, plus everyone on here says it will be fine there. As far as the Red wire to the red ignition wire, i used an scotch lock quick splice and wrapped it in electrical tape.

Burn rubber, not your soul
jwfordracing is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to jwfordracing For This Useful Post:
ODAVID (07-23-2012)
Ride to Live!

COtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond repute

04-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Take your hood off, and pull the ignition wires from the key area out a tad, then use a scotch lock to tie into the wire that gets hot when the key is turned, think its white/red. That way the winch won't work unless the key is in it.

I jammed my solenoid down behind the batter towards the shifter area, it just floats around there.

I cut my excess cables and made little ATV jumper cables out of them and keep them in my box.
COtoMTgriz is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to COtoMTgriz For This Useful Post:
ODAVID (07-23-2012)

YEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond reputeYEPSED has a reputation beyond repute

04-14-2012, 11:25 PM
I put my contactor on the winch plate also.... As far as using the quick connect splicer they are okay in a emergency but after time they will lose contact so when your winch stops working check that connection first. 9 out of 10 times that will be your problem, I cut my keyed wire and soldered back together for a never fail connection.....jmo

08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 Real Tree AP

Over 15,000 Hard Miles,Custom Welded Reinforced Fixed Frame,Vision Buckshot Wheels,Maxxis Bighorn Tires,Yamaha Heavy Duty Front Bumper,Warn 2500 Winch,Hi Lifter 2in Lift,Moose Heated Hand Grips,EBC Brake Pads,2in Exhaust Tip,Artic Cat Rear Rack,Kawasaki Axle Bearings,Yamaha Aluminum Skid Plates,Ricochet A Arm Guards,UNI Air Filter,Amsteel Winch Rope,American Trails Rear Bag,4-450 Clutch Weights,1mm Shim

2011 Polaris RZR 800 Indy Red/White LE

13inches of ground clearance,STI HD3 7x14 6+1 offset wheels,PB Growlers 26.5x9x14 on all 4 corners,Racer Tech 2in lift,Racer Tech dual rate HD springs,SLP Clutch kit,Vent Racing air intake with Donaldson filters,Polaris front and rear bumpers,Polaris Flip up windshield,Cooter Brown top,Pro Armour Doors,Warn 3500lb winch,Joes racing mirror,Polaris rear trunk

YEPSED is online nowReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to YEPSED For This Useful Post:
ODAVID (07-23-2012)

jimclemjr is on a distinguished road

04-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Not sure about 700's but on my 660 I mounted relay upsidedown on bottom of body over rear diff. Just drilled storage box bottom and used some SS 1/4 bolts with locknuts. Red wire to fuse panel under seat as the harness has to pass by the area back to relay.

dwightman will become famous soon enough

04-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Just installed a viper 3000 classic on my 2012 700 today. I ended up putting the contactor under the battery cover up front. Made two mounts for it out of 1" strap 1/8" thick by 2" long and tack welded them to the metal battery hold down bar. Drilled the tabs out to match the hole pattern on the contactor. Was able to get all the wires under the battery cover without a problem. Drilled one of the drain holes out with a 7/16" drill bit so I could pass my two winch cables through the existing battery box drain hole just behind the radiator. As far as the red wire for the handle bar rocker, I used a splice connector and spliced it into the + lead under the battery cover that goes to the 12V outlet under the key on the right fender. The wire I spliced into on the 2012 was pink, I just followed the wire on the back side of the 12V supply into the battery box. This will give your winch power when the key is on and none when it is off. Biggest pain in the install was fighting to get the battery screw back on the nut after putting the winch leads on the battery terminals, what a cluster, than goodness for aluminum tig welding filler rod.
dwightman is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to dwightman For This Useful Post:
ODAVID (07-23-2012)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Accessories

Search tags for this page
grizzly 660 winch installation
grizzly winch wire radiator
hook up super winch to 2011 grizzly
how tk wire up a super winch on a 2005 grizzly
how to install warn power pivot on a 1998 grizzly 600
how to mount and hook up a winch on a 700 yamaha grizzly
installing warn winch on grizzly#gsc.tab
pit bull atv winch wiring

placing winch on grizzly red wire

scotch locking a red winch wire into a key controlled wire on a atv

super winch mounting instructions 05 660grizzly

videdo of installation of warn bumper on a 1998 grizzly

when installing superwinch into 2012 yamaha grizzly 700 where do you tie into

where to connect 12v key wire for superwinch on yamaha grizzly

yamaha bruin winch installation
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.