Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Winch Installation - Grizz 550

This is a discussion on Winch Installation - Grizz 550 within the Grizzly Accessories forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I picked up a Superwinch Terra 35 yesterday so when the Grizzly 550 arrives I can install it. Do I need anything else to make ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Accessories

Grizzly Accessories Discuss all other Grizzly accessories here.

QMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud of

03-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Smile Winch Installation - Grizz 550

I picked up a Superwinch Terra 35 yesterday so when the Grizzly 550 arrives I can install it.
Do I need anything else to make the installation?
Does the 550 come all ready, aside from pre wired of course.
I see in the box there is a winch plate, anything else I need.
Or recommendations for the install, I saw a great thread here already installing the Terra with a fuse box of some sort, such a pro install.

Thanks
QMaze is offlineReport Post

krayg is a glorious beacon of lightkrayg is a glorious beacon of lightkrayg is a glorious beacon of lightkrayg is a glorious beacon of lightkrayg is a glorious beacon of light

03-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMaze View Post
I picked up a Superwinch Terra 35 yesterday so when the Grizzly 550 arrives I can install it. Do I need anything else to make the installation? Does the 550 come all ready, aside from pre wired of course. I see in the box there is a winch plate, anything else I need. Or recommendations for the install, I saw a great thread here already installing the Terra with a fuse box of some sort, such a pro install.

Thanks
The mount plate that come with my terra 35 didn't work. I had to purchase a KFI mount to make it fit on my 700. It's a really close fit with the normal brush guard. I think it was 1-2mm clearance for the clutch knob.
Moose rear bumper
Ricochet Skids
Warn ProVantage 60" front plow
UNI filter
Gold plugs x 3
12" LED light bar (combo)
krayg is online nowReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to krayg For This Useful Post:
QMaze (03-10-2013)

QMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud ofQMaze has much to be proud of

03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks dude, I've seen a reference to a KFI before but didn't actually know what it was, I thought it was a synthetic hawse kit. Good to know.

13grizz is just really nice13grizz is just really nice13grizz is just really nice13grizz is just really nice

03-10-2013, 05:33 PM
so the terra 35 does fit in a 700 ? i was wondering
Quadboss fender guards
Xxbilletxx 1" spacers
Legit accessories 5k hids and 10" led light bar
ricochet full armor
rox hand guards
rox risers and bars
hanger mod
viper max 3000 winch
2in reciever
27in blk diamond xtr on 12x7 raceline scorpion
54 warn pro vantage front mount plow

On the mod list

jbs clutch mod
13grizz is online nowReport Post

krayg is a glorious beacon of lightkrayg is a glorious beacon of lightkrayg is a glorious beacon of lightkrayg is a glorious beacon of lightkrayg is a glorious beacon of light

03-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13grizz View Post
so the terra 35 does fit in a 700 ? i was wondering
Sure does. Very tight fit though so you'll be yelling obscenities at it in no time during the installation.

Clearance view with the HD brush guard. It was tighter with the standard brush guard.
Moose rear bumper
Ricochet Skids
UNI filter
Gold plugs x 3

Last edited by krayg; 03-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: added second image
LvDirtJunky (07-20-2013)

13grizz is just really nice13grizz is just really nice13grizz is just really nice13grizz is just really nice

03-10-2013, 06:54 PM
So it works ok being that tight? If you where to do again wouldu get the 25 ive been looking at em both wasnt sure which to get

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
Quadboss fender guards
Xxbilletxx 1" spacers
Legit accessories 5k hids and 10" led light bar
ricochet full armor
rox hand guards
rox risers and bars
hanger mod
viper max 3000 winch
2in reciever
27in blk diamond xtr on 12x7 raceline scorpion
54 warn pro vantage front mount plow

On the mod list

jbs clutch mod
13grizz is online nowReport Post

ralphieboy is a name known to allralphieboy is a name known to allralphieboy is a name known to allralphieboy is a name known to allralphieboy is a name known to allralphieboy is a name known to all

03-10-2013, 07:40 PM

I used this stuff on all wiring and contactors, liquid electical tape, that my recommendation....

Sent from my Supordupor cellular device made of gold....
Custom Rad Rack
RDC 2" Lift
HMF
PC-v
Snorkled
2mm Shim
White Spring
1.5"wheel spacers
"Keep Looking"
ralphieboy is offlineReport Post

03-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:
So it works ok being that tight? If you where to do again wouldu get the 25 ive been looking at em both wasnt sure which to get

It does work with it being that tight (~.5"). With the standard brush guard it is less than half that width but it still works without an issue. I had it that way for about a month before the HD one was installed.

I would probably do the 35 again because it was less expensive than the 25 at the time and of course more power! Installing the 35 required loosening up and probably temporarily removing the brush guard which isn't that big of a deal but a pain nonetheless. Installing the 25 probably just required a bit of jiggling around the opening. Now I've never tried the 25 so not sure if it fits without loosening everything up like the 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
I used this stuff on all wiring and contactors, liquid electical tape, that my recommendation....
I soldered and either liquid taped or heat-shrinked the permanent connections. Connections to the fuse box or to the battery were lathered with dielectric grease.
Moose rear bumper
Ricochet Skids
UNI filter
Gold plugs x 3
ralphieboy (03-10-2013)

03-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:

Any unit that fits within a space and the environment doesn't impede the mechanisms, no reason why it shouldn't work. It's bolted tight, there is access to the engagment lever, should be good to go.

My one buddy seems to think the 3500 will kill the battery but its only a 25amp more of a draw on full pull compared to a 2500. 190amp draw = 3500, 165amp draw = 2500

I wasn't passing up paying only $199 on sale.

Last edited by QMaze; 03-10-2013 at 08:26 PM..

03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMaze View Post
Any unit that fits within a space and the environment doesn't impede the mechanisms, no reason why it shouldn't work. It's bolted tight, there is access to the engagment lever, should be good to go.

My one buddy seems to think the 3500 will kill the battery but its only a 25amp more of a draw on full pull compared to a 2500. 190amp draw = 3500, 165amp draw = 2500

I wasn't passing up paying only $199 on sale.
I think any winch used excessively will kill the battery. The most I've used mine is for plowing. Spent about 45min with the blade going up and down. I didn't have any issues but I do keep mine on a battery tender when not riding.
Moose rear bumper
Ricochet Skids
UNI filter
Gold plugs x 3

ohiododge is on a distinguished road
03-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Any updates on winch? I just got terra 25 w/ plate and appears to all line up except fairlead will be angled up. But on my '13 450 it has a better plate than older models. If you can maybe some pics.
ohiododge is offlineReport Post

Lonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant futureLonerider has a brilliant future
03-23-2013, 10:31 AM
You can pickup a switch power wire from Yamaha for a few bucks it plugs into your harness and gives you two switched power wires , its like 10 bucks ( see post )

Winch switch power...
Trail Tech X High Bars Blue
ODI Lock On Grips
26 " Terracross Tires
ITP Black SS 212 Rims
Yamaha UHMWPE Glide Plate
Yamaha Rear Hitch
UNI Filter
Magnetic Gold Plugs
Ricochet Black A Arm Guards
OGIO Honcho Front Bag Stealth
Yamaha Extended Footpegs
Rigid 10'SR Bar
Lonerider is offlineReport Post

reogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond repute

04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayg View Post
Sure does. Very tight fit though so you'll be yelling obscenities at it in no time during the installation.
Hey guys I'm installing this winch on my 2013 700. Welded some ears and do-dads on the mounting plate. Kind of a pain but it works. That puppy is a tight fit.
Now the wiring. Where did you guys mount the relay? Not much room under the hood.
26"Blackwater Evo
STI HD1 Beadlock wheels
de-grezzzed.

05 camo 660
KN filter w/outerwear
grezzzless clutch

Hers 11 green 450eps
UniFilter
26"MudlitesXTR
STI HD1 Wheels
grezzzless clutch

Last edited by reogem; 04-04-2013 at 06:11 PM..
reogem is offlineReport Post

04-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
Hey guys I'm installing this winch on my 2013 700. Welded some ears and do-dads on the mounting plate. Kind of a pain but it works. That puppy is a tight fit.
Now the wiring. Where did you guys mount the relay? Not much room under the hood.
Fuse box + superwinch component locations DIY HOW TOO!

Above is the link to the post on my installation. You'll have to read through to find the pic and short description. I got the idea of the location from another member. I also pointed out another place where you could install it a bit higher up.

However, since you don't have EPS then install it under the hood in the giant open space.
Moose rear bumper
Ricochet Skids
UNI filter
Gold plugs x 3

reogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond repute

04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Krayg, Thanks a lot! Really great first class job! I remember reading your write up but had forgotten about it as I wasn't installing a winch then. I've been tryin to search it but only found this thread.
I spent about 2 hours welding and fitting up the included mounting plate should have bought one.
Thanks again
26"Blackwater Evo
STI HD1 Beadlock wheels
de-grezzzed.

05 camo 660
KN filter w/outerwear
grezzzless clutch

Hers 11 green 450eps
UniFilter
26"MudlitesXTR
STI HD1 Wheels
grezzzless clutch
reogem is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Accessories

Search tags for this page
2013 grizzly prewired winch
2500 xt warn winch grizzly 550 install

does yamaha grizzly come pre wired for winches

grizzly 600 winch install

how to install a winch on a 2012 yamaha grizzly 550

how to install a winch on a yamaha grizzly 550
how to replace a winch on a 2009 grizzly 550
how to wire a warn provantage winch on a 700 grizzly
is a 2012 yamaha grizxly 450 pre wired for a plow?
terra 35 intall on yamaha grizzly
terra35 winch insall on 700 grizzly

warn winch installation on yamaha grizzly 550

winch install on grizzly 550
yamaha 550 winch installation

yamaha grizzly 550 winch installation

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.