Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Are YOU breaking your winch cable/cord when plowing???

This is a discussion on Are YOU breaking your winch cable/cord when plowing??? within the Grizzly Accessories forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; SO i was in here last week and I honestly can't remember where but some bright GC Member mentioned that he and his buddy used ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Accessories

Grizzly Accessories Discuss all other Grizzly accessories here.

I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Thumbs down

SO i was in here last week and I honestly can't remember where but some bright GC Member mentioned that he and his buddy used a piece of seat belt material on the end of their winch and that is what goes through the hawse / rollers when plowing.
As we all know, the 10" of cable/cord which goes through is where they are snapping.

For our more northern brothers, this happens more often than we would like.

I was just on eBay and found a guy who is selling brand new seat belt material for $4.75 per 25 foot!

I'm going to pick up 50 feet today and I will tell you all how it went after I get it installed and plow with it...
Hell....I'm even thinking of leaving it on!!! It has 5000lbs of pulling power. The winch will pull off it's mounts before that thing snaps...
I'm also going to send a email to Peter from Motoalliance to ask what he thinks.
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

Last edited by ~Muckboy; 11-30-2010 at 10:25 PM..
~Muckboy is offlineReport Post

SteelBlue08 is on a distinguished road

01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (~Muckboy @ January 17, 2009, 3:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
SO i was in here last week and I honestly can't remember where but some bright GC Member mentioned that he and his buddy used a piece of seat belt material on the end of their winch and that is what goes through the hawse / rollers when plowing.
As we all know, the 10" of cable/cord which goes through is where they are snapping.

I was just on eBay and found a guy who is selling brand new seat belt material for $4.75 per 25 foot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

I'm going to pick up 50 feet today and I will tell you all how it went after I get it installed and plow with it...
Hell....I'm even thinking of leaving it on!!! It has 5000lbs of pulling power. The winch will pull off it's mounts before that thing snaps...
I'm also going to send a email to Peter from Motoalliance to ask what he thinks.[/b]
I had the same problem, the plow I have had a 1 1/2 foot long bar that connected on the blade and then you connect the winch hook to the bar. I was trying to lift the blade too high and the hook would bottom out and snap the cable. I removed the bar from the blade and connected the cable right to the blade.
SteelBlue08 is offlineReport Post

Buck119 is on a distinguished road

01-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a good fix, I haven't broken the cable yet how ever i have an issue with angle. the winch sets low on the Grizz and the angle to polw bracket causes the handle for the angle of the blade to bend or it breaks the safety latch on the hook for the winch. I've tried brackets, straps, and many other fixes but can't seem to get it right. it will still hit the relase handle on the blade.

suggustions?
Buck119 is offlineReport Post
Ursus arctos horribilis

Tumbleweed is a jewel in the roughTumbleweed is a jewel in the roughTumbleweed is a jewel in the roughTumbleweed is a jewel in the rough

01-17-2009, 07:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (~Muckboy @ January 17, 2009, 4:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I'm also going to send a email to Peter from Motoalliance to ask what he thinks.[/b]
I wonder how many wraps 50 feet of seat belt material would be? Is there enough room on the drum to wrap 50 feet b/4 hitting the bolts that hold everything together??? I do like the idea, tho'.
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Jaxom44/
Tumbleweed is offlineReport Post
Ron

CLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant futureCLHC has a brilliant future

01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Let us know how it works out, I've broke my cable 4 times this year!!
2008 Grizzly 700, EPS, 26.5" Pit Bull Rockers on SS112's, Full Ricochet Armor including floorboards, 2500lb Warn on Front(Amsteel Blue Rope), 3000lb Viper on 2" Rear Receiver, Custom Covers (2xbrake, Throttle),32 Mods Total. Visit My Garage.

CLHC is offlineReport Post

gwrgrizz is a jewel in the roughgwrgrizz is a jewel in the roughgwrgrizz is a jewel in the rough

01-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Not a real expert on the plows issue, or all of the different set-ups for plows, but we have 3 plows on quads, 2 winch operated and one hand operated, all three mount up basically under the foot pegs. What we did this year differently than in the past is we ran the winch cable back to the support that runs between the two foot peg and mounted a pulley on the front of the plow and ran the cable through the pulley, does two things for us 1 gives you more clearance when you lift the plow up ( you can lift it until the plow frame bottoms against the quad frame) gives you better than a foot of clearance. 2 you do not have to worry about the hook getting pulled into the rollers and breaking anything works great and really costs next to nothing to retrofit just a little time. If anyone is interested let me know and I can try to post some pics. The one plow is a Kimpex and the other is a Moose it worked for both.
gwrgrizz is offlineReport Post
yamacliner rider

scooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2009, 08:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (~Muckboy @ January 17, 2009, 4:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...hlink:middle:us

Inserted a better link. Hope this helps. Don't mean to step on your toes muck.
I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Not at all Bro....thanks.
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

mcattardo is on a distinguished road

01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I bought some winch strap @ Wally World. Looks just like seat belt material. I cut it in half and have had no problems with it so far.
I doubt I could spool all 20' on without trying to layer it across the entire drum (I have my doubts there too). For plowing, I just leave it in the middle.
mcattardo is offlineReport Post
I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mcattardo @ January 18, 2009, 9:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I bought some winch strap @ Wally World. Looks just like seat belt material. I cut it in half and have had no problems with it so far.
I doubt I could spool all 20' on without trying to layer it across the entire drum (I have my doubts there too). For plowing, I just leave it in the middle.
[/b]
How much was this? I like that the hook is already on it...
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

yamacliner rider

scooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond repute

01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Muck, looks like a handwinch replacement strap. Should be about 10 to 20 bucks. Ebay has them for $12.50 plus shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WINCH-STRAP...p4506.m20.l1116

More on this page..
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/winch-st...4506.m104.l1198

Hope this helps.

GOLDKL is on a distinguished road
01-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I use about 10 feet of a tow strap from Wally World too, but without the retainer, so I got a galvanized shackle from the hardware store to make the connection to the plow. I read somewhere that I could use duct tape to attach the strap to the winch drum, but that only worked for a little while before the tape ripped when there was slack in the strap. I didn't want to modify the winch drum with screws or rivets, so I cut an 8 penny nail to size, doubled the strap back around the nail, riveted it into place, and zip-tied the nail to the drum. I've used this setup last year and this year, with pretty good winter snowfalls in west Michigan, and I have had no problems. I just cut the zip ties and re-spool the cable for summer riding. Sounds like the seatbelt material would work great too, and cheaper. Have a look:

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/go...12/P1050815.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/go...12/P1050823.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/go...12/P1050818.jpg
GOLDKL is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to GOLDKL For This Useful Post:
Yamaha Forever (12-01-2010)

mcattardo is on a distinguished road

01-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Yes, it is a hand winch replacement strap.
To fasten the strap to the drum, cut a short piece of rope about the same diameter of the metal cable and attach it to the strap with generous amounts of tape. The rope goes on the drum the same way the cable came off. It's ugly if you unspool that far, but functional.
mcattardo is offlineReport Post

09grizz27 is on a distinguished road
01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
I would like to see some more ways to attach the seatbelt to the winch drum if anyone has them. I think this is a great idea and I am pissed that I did not think of it !! good job everyone on using your brains, I forgot how !!
09grizz27 is offlineReport Post
I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GOLDKL @ January 20, 2009, 1:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I use about 10 feet of a tow strap from Wally World too, but without the retainer, so I got a galvanized shackle from the hardware store to make the connection to the plow. I read somewhere that I could use duct tape to attach the strap to the winch drum, but that only worked for a little while before the tape ripped when there was slack in the strap. I didn't want to modify the winch drum with screws or rivets, so I cut an 8 penny nail to size, doubled the strap back around the nail, riveted it into place, and zip-tied the nail to the drum. I've used this setup last year and this year, with pretty good winter snowfalls in west Michigan, and I have had no problems. I just cut the zip ties and re-spool the cable for summer riding. Sounds like the seatbelt material would work great too, and cheaper. Have a look:

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/go...12/P1050815.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/go...12/P1050823.jpg

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/go...12/P1050818.jpg[/b]

Great pictures and a good idea...thanks Bro....

Yeah...short of riviting into the spool or putting some kind or metal dowel to hold it in place, I dont see how you can stop it from slipping. Only as mentioned above, cutting a length of cord and tying it off the the seat belt and connecting thast cord the normal way to the spool...
Maybe if I have 50' on there, it wouldn't slip? dammit!
ok....i'm buyin that right now from ebay.....we'll get to the bottom of this...
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Accessories

Search tags for this page
4wheeler plow cable keeps breaking
atv cable breaks when plowing
atv plow winch cable keeps breaking

atv winch cable keeps breaking

cable keeps breaking on winch plowing
i keep breaking my winch cable when raising the plow
my winch cable keeps breaking on my plow
polaris snow plow cable breaking
snaping of winch cables
why does my warn winch cable keep breaking

why does my winch cable keep breaking

why does my winch rope break while plowing

winch cable keeps breaking

winch on quad plow keeps breaking
winch strap for atv plow
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.