Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Assistance with rear axle bearings (98 600)

This is a discussion on Assistance with rear axle bearings (98 600) within the Grizzly Chassis & Body forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; 1998 600 (solid rear axle) First day I owned the bike and I'm finding several problems that the p.o. forgot to mention. Anyway, checking oil ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Grizzly Chassis & Body Discuss Grizzly chassis and body modifications here.

gcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to behold

08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Assistance with rear axle bearings (98 600)

1998 600 (solid rear axle)

First day I owned the bike and I'm finding several problems that the p.o. forgot to mention.

Anyway, checking oil in everything, changing, etc... (So I know it's done).

Checked the rear diff fluid, clear and not showing any signs of water, etc. Cool....until I see an outer axle seal just sort of dangling on the axle, between the inside of the hub and the outer end of the axle tube. Also what looked to be a cage for a ball bearing assembly.

Working in a borrowed garage, had to go get my kid at work, etc etc, didn't have time to check it more than that.
now it's going to drive me nuts....until I can get at it tomorrow after work.

Can anyone describe or supply an exploded view of the rear axle and differential?

Are there 2 axles like a rear diff in a truck or whatever, or is it one solid axle all the way across and driven in the center like a snowblower auger shaft?

I've done stuff like this before but I've just never tied into one exactly like this.

2 shaft scenario - how are the axles held in? (c clips and a cross pin?)

A service manual is in my future....I just brought the bike home last night and was planning on being able to use it on my holidays next week....not looking so good now...

And, does anyone have a bearing and seal number that I could buy them at a bearing specialty shop rather than the dealer?

Help! :(

Last edited by gcfishguy; 08-10-2010 at 09:56 PM..
gcfishguy is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,120 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2010, 09:40 PM
2002 was the 660s first year. You have a 600 or the rarest 660 in existence.

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

gcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to behold

08-10-2010, 09:55 PM
It's a rare one....prototype. Has the words "Experimental - 700hp" cast into the side of the cylinder head.....yeah...been a long week already.
600, obviously, not sure why my fingers typed 660....maybe because I'm seeing so many 660 posts compared to 600 posts. ;-)

Thanks for noticing....edited.

thomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to all

08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey yah your 98 is a 600. And no worries it's a straight axle rear end there is one shaft the runs from left to right wheel. I will get some pics together for you in a bit working on it now.
TKO Custom Jetting
EHS Racing Air Box Lid With K&N Filter
Supertrapp Mud Slinger Exhaust
Odyssey PC545 Battery
More new factory parts than I care to remember.
But, Green Mountain Grizzly Lives.
thomasakehoe is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasakehoe For This Useful Post:
gcfishguy (08-10-2010)

Helmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant future
08-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Helmut is offlineReport Post

08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Well, the amount of help has been amazing... Thanks all...

So, with the posted drawing, and what I've found online, after the rear wheels, hubs and brakes are off, the axle just taps out towards the left side?
After that I'd find the axle bearings pressed into the end of the tube and a seal on the outside. Plus one mystery part...in the diagram above, 13, 12, and 46 have me confused. Obviously there's a bearing, and a seal, but what's the 3rd thing?
And am I correct in assuming that they would be a sealed bearing? ie: they don't come in contact with and aren't lubricated by the actual differential fluid? (like a dana 35 is set up, for example..)

Helmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant future
08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Yep, #13 is a bearing, #12 is a seal, and #46 is a hub dust cover. And yes, they're sealed bearings and don't come in contact with the gear oil. Everything else in your post, above, appears to be correct also.
Helmut is offlineReport Post

08-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, with everyone's help and some beating and swearing, everything's ready for my new bearings and seals that are supposed to arrive tomorrow morning.

I was fearing the worst since the left bearing was nothing but an outer race in the tube and an inner race jingling around on the axle shaft...but everything looks okay.

Tore everything apart last night, tonight i drove out the right side bearings and finally managed to get the shock off the left tube. The bottom pin was seized solid so I had to take the left side of the tube, the shock assy and the adjustment lever for the shock all out as a unit.

Ran to a buddys place and we welded a couple nuts to the race that was still in the tube and were able to knock it out from the back side. Gotta love helpful friends with welders :-)

Oh, and I changed the rear diff fluid since I was sitting there looking at it and couldn't go any further until my new parts get here. I saw the drain plug and remembered reading posts about people having to drill them out and use easyouts to get them out. AND, I couldn't find my allen keys.... *gulp*
Guess what....a #40 torx bit fits like it grew there. Came out easy and no filings/chunks fell out when I pulled the drain plug. (call me paranoid...) :p

So, tomorrow after work the back end will go back together and I can back it back out of the baby barn and I'll pull the carb and clean out the bowl.

Thanks again for the info everyone.

08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Oh and one more dumb question...maybe...

I can't find it in the service manual or in the diagram a couple replies up.

The right hand axle bearing....I want to see if the last person put things in wrong...

I removed the bearing retainer, the bearing was behind that, then the seal was behind the bearing.....?

It kind of makes sense that the bearing retainer would sit against the bearing, but if the seal's BEHIND the bearing, the bearing is exposed to any water that gets into the break drum....all it can do is block water from getting to the right hand bearing if it's coming in from way over on the left side and coming all the way through the axle tube...

I would think the bearing would go in, bottom out, then bottom the seal against the bearing, then cover the whole works with the retainer....

Clarification please :-) I'll keep looking through the manual in the meantime...

08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
No answers, so I'll answer myself (in case someone needs the answer later)...

The seal does indeed go inside the bearing...no other way it CAN go, actually.
The bearing is exposed inside the drum.

DizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant future

08-20-2010, 03:21 PM
The parts go into the tube in the following order: bearing fist, then seal, then dust cap. The seal is there to protect the bearing from water and dust and the dust cap is there to help protect the seal from physical damage. Is that how you have them in?

EDIT: Oops, I just saw the key word in your post: RIGHT. The right side bearing is different and, yes, the seal goes in first followed by the bearing. See this parts view.
Man, after re-reading (or maybe just actually reading) your post, I am plenty embarrassed I got that wrong at first...ah well...it's Friday. By the way, the break drum is sealed so water "should not" get into the tube on the right. That said, I am not certain why Yami bothered to put a seal behind the bearing...the next stop would be the final drive seal...maybe just added protection for the final drive?

That which doesn't kill you, leaves scars to remind you not to do it again
DizGrizz is offlineReport Post

08-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, the 'seal on the inside' thing kinda made me chuckle when I took everything apart...."I wonder what dummy worked on this last..haha..seal behind the bearing..."
I got the kit from the dealer (all balls) and it doesn't have a dust seal for the left side...bummer. and then I noticed that the OD of the right seal and right bearing were different....son of a gun....the seal has to go behind the bearing. Plus the left bearing is not sealed and has to be packed, and the right bearing IS sealed.
So yeah...it all makes sense, except the purpose of that seal. Maybe they know that it's going to take out the left bearing first and the right seal is to stop the onslaught of mud and crap from getting into the brakes from the thrashed bearing on the left side...?

Oh well....learn something everyday.

Anyway, the main thing, it's back together, and after a few other minor issues, I've had 4 good days of running it down at a camp that a friend let me use. There's miles of trails right across the road from the camp, some of them on my topo maps, some not. Some are grown in pretty good and haven't been traveled in a couple years likely, so I'm having a great time with the bike and the GPS.

Last edited by gcfishguy; 08-20-2010 at 08:35 PM..

DougDratch is on a distinguished road

01-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks for explaining the kit well, i took notes... :-D
DougDratch is offlineReport Post

jammitt is on a distinguished road
09-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Does the grizzly 600 axtually have a bearing race to take out as well?
jammitt is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Search tags for this page

1998 yamaha bearing rretainer tool

1998 yamaha grizzly 600 rear axle dust seal
1998 yamaha grizzly 600 rear end diagram
2000 big bear 400 rear end exploded view
how to change rear axle seals and bearings on a 1999 yamaha 350 big bear 4wd
how to change rear bearings on 600 grizzly
prosper a rear axle barn for a 660 yamaha raptor
rear axle of a yamaha grizzly 600 1998
remove rear wheel bearing 2001 grizzly 600
what the best way to put yamaha bigbear 350 rear axle bearings in
yamaha 600 grizzly rear differential
yamaha big bear 350 rear axle removal

yamaha grizzly 600 differential diagram

yamaha grizzly rear brake assembly

yamaha kodiak rear end specialty key

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.