Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

4 wheel drive will only click and not engage.

This is a discussion on 4 wheel drive will only click and not engage. within the Grizzly Chassis & Body forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; 4wheel drive will only click. Just wondering were to start. I've not checked anything. It sounds like its clicking under the hood. I will throw ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Grizzly Chassis & Body Discuss Grizzly chassis and body modifications here.

deep south is just really nicedeep south is just really nicedeep south is just really nicedeep south is just really nicedeep south is just really nice

12-25-2010, 08:04 PM
4 wheel drive will only click and not engage.

4wheel drive will only click. Just wondering were to start. I've not checked anything. It sounds like its clicking under the hood. I will throw this in too. About 3weeks ago he flipped it in a creek. So my guess it mite be water related

07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute

12-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Check the actuator probably dirty and wet, need to clean it and put some dielectric grease on the connections.
07grizzlymud is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to 07grizzlymud For This Useful Post:
deep south (12-26-2010)

rick will become famous soon enough
12-26-2010, 01:51 PM
check the 4 wheel fuse in your main fuse compartment
rick is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to rick For This Useful Post:
deep south (12-26-2010)

deep south is just really nicedeep south is just really nicedeep south is just really nicedeep south is just really nicedeep south is just really nice

12-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Is a 08 and a 09 fuses the same. I have the owners manual for my 09. His is a 08 only thing I've found different so far is the plug.

12-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I would assume it is, if he flooded it , you might want to get some wire dryer spray and blow out and dry and dielectic grease your connections. all of the relays come apart as well as all wire connectionss once you figure out which tabs to depress, on some you'll have to pull hard to get them off for the first time. As 07 grizzlymud said, check your servo motor plugs that accuate your on command 4-wheel drive on the front diff. If all this fails, drain your front diff and pull the servo and bench test it with 2 c- batteries. Many times ,its a faulty relay, so make sure you check them out(3 ,I believe) before you pull the servo.
The Following User Says Thank You to rick For This Useful Post:
deep south (12-27-2010)

12-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
I would assume it is, if he flooded it , you might want to get some wire dryer spray and blow out and dry and dielectic grease your connections. all of the relays come apart as well as all wire connectionss once you figure out which tabs to depress, on some you'll have to pull hard to get them off for the first time. As 07 grizzlymud said, check your servo motor plugs that accuate your on command 4-wheel drive on the front diff. If all this fails, drain your front diff and pull the servo and bench test it with 2 c- batteries. Many times ,its a faulty relay, so make sure you check them out(3 ,I believe) before you pull the servo.
Thanks rick! Ok I checked the fuse its good. I pulled plug on front diff. cleaned it still don't work. Here comes the (Dumb Question) you said it maybe a relay. Were would they be and what do they look like?

Last edited by deep south; 12-28-2010 at 06:55 AM..
deep south is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,119 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't envy you These 4wd problems have a ratsnest of crap to trace down and check. all 3 relays control the system, should be right by the fuses. Seeing how the bike was upside down underwater the first thing I would have checked is the switch on the handlebars. Take that all apart till you see copper circuts on a board that has copper knobs slide across it to switch the 4wd. Maybe water is in there. Careful you don't lose the tiny spring.

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to wayupnorth For This Useful Post:
deep south (12-28-2010)

12-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
I don't envy you These 4wd problems have a ratsnest of crap to trace down and check. all 3 relays control the system, should be right by the fuses. Seeing how the bike was upside down underwater the first thing I would have checked is the switch on the handlebars. Take that all apart till you see copper circuts on a board that has copper knobs slide across it to switch the 4wd. Maybe water is in there. Careful you don't lose the tiny spring.
Ok here's what I got we check everything. Relays, switch and yes we dropped the damn little spring. On the diff lock side of switch. I think you jinx us Other than that it all checked good. So we pulled the servo. Then we plugged it up to my 09. And all it will do is click so I guess its bad :(

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,119 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Don't consider it bad yet. Did you take it apart and bench test the motor? Also check the circut board and spread the copper prongs wider so they for sure are making contact. Search servo motor on here, there is some guy that sells them for $50 thru ebay if the motor is bad.

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

12-29-2010, 05:42 AM
I would bet your servo is good. Just becouse you flooded the bike doesn't mean your servo is bad. Think about it, every time you go into a foot and a half of water or mud your servo is submerged. Switch the relays from one bike to the other, if they are the same, and make sure its not the relays, then go through all wire connections, going to and from the servo and make sure they are dry and then dielectic grease each. Even if nthis isn.t the problem, it's preventitive measures that protect against future electrical disasters.

12-29-2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
I would bet your servo is good. Just becouse you flooded the bike doesn't mean your servo is bad. Think about it, every time you go into a foot and a half of water or mud your servo is submerged. Switch the relays from one bike to the other, if they are the same, and make sure its not the relays, then go through all wire connections, going to and from the servo and make sure they are dry and then dielectic grease each. Even if nthis isn.t the problem, it's preventitive measures that protect against future electrical disasters.
Thanks rick we pulled the servo off last nite. Then we plugged it up to my 09. All it would do was click also. So I'm guess all the relays are good. We're going to try and check servo. Like wayupnorth said to try.

JNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to behold

12-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I did a write up on testing the 4wd system awhile ago. I copied it below.

Jeff

Easy things first.

1. Fuses okay? Main and 4wd
2. Battery in good condition and charged
3. Main switch working (you replaced it so should be okay)

Medium Hard
4. Test 4WD
relay 1
5. Test 4WD
relay 2
6. Test 4WD
relay 3
7. Test handle bar 2WD/3WD/4WD switch

Hardest
8. Test the gear motor
9. Check the wires and wiring connections of the 2WD/3WD/4WD system

Last
10. Possible problem with front differential
11. Replace the meter assembly

Further explanations
Steps 4 and 5 - Testing relays 1 and 2. I think the relays are located under the seat on the 02 660's. A
relay is a switch. It has two positions - one when it's not powered and one when it is. So for each relay you need to do 2 tests. Your relay will have 5 connectors.

Relays 1 and 2 look like an upside down T. Terminal 1 is at the top, down is terminal 5. Across the bottom left to right are terminals 4, 2, and 3.

Test 1 - Set your digital pocket tester to resistance testing 1 ohm. Connect the positive lead to terminal 1 and the negative lead to terminal 2. You should get resistance. I used a small piece of wire with a spade connector on it to get better access to the terminals on the
relay.

Test 2 - You have to power the resistor to "flip the switch". So I made two pieces of wire with alligator clips on one end to attach to the battery and spade connectors on the other end to attach to the
relay. Connect the positive battery wire to terminal 3. Connect the negative battery wire to terminal 4. Then take your pocket tester and connect the positive wire to terminal 1 and your negative wire to terminal 5. You should have continuity. I know, 4 wires in a small space make it hard to work with. Now you know why I made little jumper wires.

Do this for both relays.

Step 6 details - This is to test the 3rd
relay switch. Like the other relays the switch has two positions one that is powered and one that it is not. It looks a little different than the other two.

Relay 3 is square shaped positioned with a little notch pointing out at the top and the top left and top right corners indented. In the top right corner is terminal 2. In the bottom right corner is terminal 1. In the bottom left corner is terminal 3. And in the top left corner is terminal 4.

To help with orientation, terminal 2 on the
relay is connected to the yellow and black wire.

Test 1 - Set your digital pocket tester to resistance testing 1 ohm. Connect the positive lead to terminal 1 and the negative lead to terminal 2. You should get resistance.

Test 2 - You have to power the resistor to "flip the switch". Connect the positive battery wire to terminal 1. Connect the negative battery wire to terminal 2. Then take your pocket tester and connect the positive wire to terminal 3 and your negative wire to terminal 4. Your should have continuity.

Step 7 Details - Testing the handle bar 2WD/3WD/4WD switch. The switch has a few wires coming out of it. Trace the wires to the connector ("under the hood"). The connector should have 8 terminals.

Set your pocket tester to resistance 1 ohms.

The switch will have 3 settings - 2WD, 3WD, and 4WD. Set the switch to 2WD. Test between terminal positions 1&2, 1&5, and 2&5. They should have continuity. Test the other positions to make sure they do NOT have continuity - 1&3, 1&4, 1&6, 1&7, 1&8, 2&3, 2&4, 2&6, 2&7, 2&8, 3&4, 3&5, 3&6, 3&7, 3&8, 4&5, 4&6, 4&7, 4&8, 5&6, 5&7, 5&8, 6&7, 6&8, and 7&8.

Change to 3WD. Test between terminal positions 1&2 and 3&4. They should have continuity. Test the other positions to make sure they do NOT have continuity - 1&3, 1&4, 1&5, 1&6, 1&7, 1&8, 2&3, 2&4, 2&5, 2&6, 2&7, 2&8, 3&5, 3&6, 3&7, 3&8, 4&5, 4&6, 4&7, 4&8, 5&6, 5&7, 5&8, 6&7, 6&8, and 7&8.

Change to 4WD (Diff lock). Test between terminal positions 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8. They should have continuity. Test the other positions to make sure they do NOT have continuity - 1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 1&5, 1&6, 1&7, 1&8, 2&3, 2&4, 2&5, 2&6, 2&7, 2&8, 3&5, 3&6, 3&7, 3&8, 4&5, 4&6, 4&7, 4&8, 5&7, 5&8, 6&7, and 6&8.

If any of the tests fail to have continuity when they should or have continuity when they shouldn't then your handle bar switch is bad. I have had limited success taking the switch apart and cleaning the terminals. If you decide to do that, watch out for the flying little springs. When they land on the floor you can't find them! After cleaning then retest. If you still fail, then buy a new switch.

Step 8 Details - Testing the gear motor. First you need to make a little battery fuel cell. Connect 2 C size batteries end to end. Connect a negative and positive wire to the battery pack. I used the wires from my pocket tester and with the help of a little duct tape got them to stay in place. You may need someone to hold the battery pack together firmly to make sure current flows.

Disconnect the gear motor coupler, remove the gear motor from the front differential. You need to do 2 tests. First, connect your battery pack negative wire to terminal 1 on the gear motor and the positive wire to terminal 2 on the gear motor. The gear should turn counter-clockwise.

Test two is the reverse. Positive to position 1 on the gear motor and negative on terminal 2. The gear should turn clockwise.

If it doesn't work, then try to repair to repair the gear motor. I have taken it apart and tested the little drive motor directly. You can get the internal motor only on ebay. There is a little platform that reminded me of the old record players with the arm and needle on them. They can be cleaned up for good contact, but be careful.

Hook up the electrical coupler and change the handle bar selector switch between 2WD, 3WD, and 4WD making note that the gear is turning to it's proper position. All the way one way for 2WD, middle position for 3WD, and all the way the other way for 4WD. I put a tiny piece of duct tape on the end of the gear shaft so I could see which way it turns.

After you have confirmed that everything is turning correctly, select 2WD. Then disconnect the electrical coupler.

Inside the differential slide the bar all the way to the left (2WD position), then attach the gear motor. This is important. The slide in the differential AND the gear motor need to be both in the 2WD position.

Don't over tighten the bolts. Aluminum is very soft and the bolts strip easy.

It should work.

Jeff
B-Line Control Suspension, Penland Exhaust, Power Commander III Fuel Optimizer, Dynatek CDI Controller, EPI Clutch kit, Rath Racing Front Sway Bar, EHS Air Box Mod, Thumb/Grip/Seat Warmers, Horn, Bottle holder, Grip Donuts, Warn 3k with remote and synthetic wire, Moose Hand Guards, Mud lights/ATR's/Outlaw Tires, ITP Rims, Tamarack Trunk, Fuel Pak, ATV Rocks Skid Plates, 2r Foot Pegs and Rails.

Red = Provided above and beyond support
JNelson is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to JNelson For This Useful Post:
deep south (12-29-2010)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Search tags for this page
02 yamaha grizzly 660 4wheel drive not engageing

06 yamaha grizzly 4wd problems

2005 rhino 4 wheel drive will only click and not engage
2005 yamaha grizzly 660 4 wheel drive wont work
2007 yamaha grizzly 450 four wheel drive will not work

4 wheel drive not working on 660 grizzly

checking for a bad 4 wheel drive relay

grizzly 700 4 wheel drive switch spring
grizzly 700 four wheel drive switch
how can i test motor that engages 4 wheel drive on 2000 grizzly 660 4 wheeler
is there a relay for the 4 wheel drive on a 2008 400 big bear atv

puttingfour wheel drive in time on a 2010 grizzly

what automotive relay will work for the 4wd on a 660 grizzly
wheel clicks only in 4 wheel drive
yamaha 4 wheel drive will not engage
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.