Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

how to remove front outer cv joint - 98 600

This is a discussion on how to remove front outer cv joint - 98 600 within the Grizzly Chassis & Body forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Hi Guys, I need to replace the outer (and might as well do the inner) cv boot on one of my front axles of my ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Grizzly Chassis & Body Discuss Grizzly chassis and body modifications here.

Grizzly_Greenhorn is on a distinguished road

02-02-2012, 08:11 AM
how to remove front outer cv joint - 98 600

Hi Guys, I need to replace the outer (and might as well do the inner) cv boot on one of my front axles of my 98 600.
I have removed the axle no problem.

Anyone know how to remove the cv joint/bearing cage/balls from the 'socket' so I can clean and repack the bearing with fresh grease?

Thanks!
Dynojet
Raptor Muffler
27" Mudlites (Front)
27" Gators (Rear)
1.5" lift
1.5" spacers
Grizzly_Greenhorn is offlineReport Post

yams4theman is on a distinguished road

02-02-2012, 08:23 AM
just remove the bands and slide the boots down on the shaft. one joint, i think the outer has a internal snap ring that expands into the socket. remove it and the socket will pull off the cage and balls. once that is remove you will see another snap ring that holds the cage on the shaft. remove it, pull the cage off the shaft and your ready.
hmf slip on
yams4theman is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to yams4theman For This Useful Post:
Grizzly_Greenhorn (02-02-2012)

reogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond reputereogem has a reputation beyond repute

02-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Look here.
CV Boot Replacement - How To Guide
26"Blackwater Evo
STI HD1 Beadlock wheels
de-grezzzed.

05 camo 660
KN filter w/outerwear
grezzzless clutch

Hers 11 green 450eps
UniFilter
26"MudlitesXTR
STI HD1 Wheels
grezzzless clutch
reogem is online nowReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to reogem For This Useful Post:
Grizzly_Greenhorn (02-02-2012)

02-05-2012, 01:38 PM
ok, i still cannot remove the joint from the axle. Just to verify, the outer joint does not come apart and the inner does? Correct? I should hit (with soft/non marring mallet) the inner joint to separate.

I have cut both of the boots off (the outer boot was shredded). The outer joint needs to be cleaned, but since this joint does not separate, how do i clean it to add new grease? This is a bit frustrating. why didn't I just buy new axles!!

Anyways, does anybody know how the joint separates to put on the new boots? Also how do I clean a joint that cannot separate?

I have read the CV boot replacement guide and as helpful as it is, I still am confused. I think it's more for the newer grizzlies (02 and up)
Dynojet
Raptor Muffler
27" Mudlites (Front)
27" Gators (Rear)
1.5" lift
1.5" spacers

02-05-2012, 03:45 PM
well i'm an idiot. I finally saw the large internal c clip in the inner joint hub. Removed this and was able to disassemble the inner joint in order to put the boots on.
Dynojet
Raptor Muffler
27" Mudlites (Front)
27" Gators (Rear)
1.5" lift
1.5" spacers

Helmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant future
02-06-2012, 01:52 AM
The outer joint will come apart, too. It's just harder to get apart. Take the CV boot loose and slide it up the axle toward the other CV joint or just remove the inner joint first and completely remove the boot. Clamp the axle shaft in a vise with the outer joint hanging straight down. Now, take a large punch and set it against the outer joint, as close to the axle shaft as you can get it. Now, with a big hammer, give the punch a hard whack. It may take several tries to knock the joint off, as some of them are hard to get off. If you have trouble, you can try rotating the axle in the vise and hitting different spots around the cage. The larger the punch you use, the easier it will be to knock it off. The only thing holding the outer CV joint to the axle shaft is a clip ring, just like on the stub that fits back into the diff. You can't see the clip ring until you knock the joint off. Once you get the CV joint off the end of the axle shaft, just rotate the cage until you can remove the ball bearings, one at a time. Once you get all the ball bearings out, the cage will come out. Reassembly is just opposite of disassembly, but it can be a little harder to get the ball bearings back in the cage if you haven't done this before. It's almost like working a puzzle and the more you get in, the harder it is to get the next ball bearing in.

Since the outer joint is harder to disassemble, a lot of people will just buy half shafts if the inner CV joint is good. Half shafts come with the outer CV joint already assembled on the end of the axle and have everything but the inner CV joint.

Last edited by Helmut; 02-06-2012 at 02:00 AM..
Helmut is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Helmut For This Useful Post:
Grizzly_Greenhorn (02-06-2012)

02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
thanks for the helpful replies guys. One more question.

What's the best way to repack these cv joints? Do I just do the old grease in the cup of my hand and try and cup it in like that? or is there a trick?
I was thinking of putting some grease in a a syringe type thing and squirting it in all the little gaps first before the hand-cup method.

Appreciate it!
Dynojet
Raptor Muffler
27" Mudlites (Front)
27" Gators (Rear)
1.5" lift
1.5" spacers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Search tags for this page

atv removing internal snap ring

can front outer cv joint be replaced on a rhino 660

cv joint for a 2000 yamaha grizzly 600

how do i grease the cv shaft on my yamaha grizzly?

how to change cv joint on 98 grizzly

how to change rubber boots on cv joints on a 2009 700 yammah grizzl fourweeler

how to fix my axle on my grizzly 600
how to pull outer cv joint out of grizzly
how to remove front axle on yamaha rhino
how to remove the outer end of a cv axle on a yamaha grizzly 350
how to replace a front outer cv joint on a 700 gri
location of the greese fittings on a 2006 rino 660#gsc.tab
remove front outer cv rubber on grizzly 700
replace boot 600 grizzley
yamaha rhino front axle change
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.