Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Plasti Dip your fenders. *PICS*

This is a discussion on Plasti Dip your fenders. *PICS* within the Grizzly Chassis & Body forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; The rage across the Internet on truck, car and boat forums recently has been the Plasti Dip spray for "murdering out" or blacking out wheels, ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Grizzly Chassis & Body Discuss Grizzly chassis and body modifications here.

kstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Plasti Dip your fenders. *PICS*

The rage across the Internet on truck, car and boat forums recently has been the Plasti Dip spray for "murdering out" or blacking out wheels, trim, handles, mirrors - you name it guys are Plasti dippin stuff everywhere. This has led me to think about using the Plasti dip spray on my ATV fenders IF its a durable finish.

Knowing plastic and getting good adhesion being important I thought I'd definitely have to scuff the fenders up in order to achieve good adhesion with the fenders. The last thing I wanted to do was screw up my Grizzly Fenders. So I got to thinking about this old broken arctic cat fender I had in my attic that I could do a test run with.

I climbed up in my attic and grabbed the old fender and set it up in my garage to begin my test.

Earlier I had gone by my local lowes and picked up a can of valspar plastic primer, a can of the Plasti dip spray in black, a roll of the new frog tape for taping off the sections I didnt want dipped and a couple scuff pads by 3M.

First things first I cleaned the plastic with some standard mineral spirits.

Then I took the frog tape and started taping off the area I wanted to end up black. My goal was to create a sort of fender flare look with the black Plasti dip where it would normally get hit by sticks and crap while trail riding.

Once I things taped off good and covered for overspray I took the 3m pads and started scuffing the plastic area where I was going to paint to get the shine off in order to create an area for painting.

One more time with the mineral spirits to be sure I had things clean and on goes the first coat.

15-20 minutes in between coats. On goes the second, third and a fourth coats.

Once I had plenty of coats on and somewhat dry I started removing some of the tape and overspray covers.

Once this dries overnight I'll see how the tape comes off and after a few days of hardening I'll start testing this thing out checking to see how durable it is. Probably smack it around with some sticks to simulate some trail riding. If its good I'll consider doing the same treatment to the grizzly fenders. If it sucks I'll try some other painting techniques on the other side of my "test fender".

Just thought I'd share my experiment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kstateskier is offlineReport Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
COtoMTgriz (06-16-2012), monksblood (06-17-2012), PA. GRIZZLY (06-17-2012), TWGrizz08 (06-16-2012)
Doc

Doc is on a distinguished road

06-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Curious to see how your stress test comes out. Thanks for sharing!
Doc is offlineReport Post
Ride to Live!

COtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Nice work, will follow how this comes out.
COtoMTgriz is offlineReport Post

ziechman has much to be proud ofziechman has much to be proud ofziechman has much to be proud ofziechman has much to be proud ofziechman has much to be proud ofziechman has much to be proud ofziechman has much to be proud ofziechman has much to be proud of

06-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Nice job dude. Curious as well as to how well it holds up to some abuse.
EHS Stage 1: Custom Grind Cam, +2 Ferrea valves/Kibble white, 3mm overboar TB, CP 11.0-1 HC Piston
Bazzaz Z-Fi/Z-AFM
Dynatek DFS7-25
RDC Low Profile Rad
RDC 2" Lift Kit
Elka Stage 3 Front/Rear
JBS HotRodRhino/Purple spring/16g greased greaseless
ziechman is online nowReport Post

Wolfsnout Racing is a glorious beacon of lightWolfsnout Racing is a glorious beacon of lightWolfsnout Racing is a glorious beacon of lightWolfsnout Racing is a glorious beacon of lightWolfsnout Racing is a glorious beacon of lightWolfsnout Racing is a glorious beacon of light
06-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I love that stuff...

Wolfsnout Racing is offlineReport Post

markw has a spectacular aura aboutmarkw has a spectacular aura about

06-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Looks good. And an easy way to keep plastics looking good. If it works it'll be a hit with a lot of blokes I recon

12 700 Grizz in Camo,
Winch,
Soft rear bag,
Ricochet belly armour

Hers

08 700 Grizz in Camo
Winch
markw is offlineReport Post

GRIZZLY5984 is on a distinguished road

06-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Definitely following this. Want to do something with my timberwolf fenders.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?w1apbf
SGCR #14
2010 Blue Yamaha Grizzly 550
27' ITP XTRs
14' ITP C-7 Blacks
Yamaha HD Replacement Bumper

Looking for black side panels!!!

GRIZZLY5984 is offlineReport Post

DSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond reputeDSCZ71 has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Sick!!

09 Grizzly 700 EPS - SOLD
Team Deep 'N Dirty
"YACC" Member #5
- 30" Backs on SS312's
- 27" Zillas
- PATV snorkel
- Gorilla rad relocation
- HMF muffler
- EHS Bullet Box
- 1.5mm shim, white EPI spring
- Gorilla Axles
- HL 2" lift
- 1" wheel spacers
- Rox 5" risers
- Fly Aero CR-Hi bars
- ODI grips
- Warn 2500
- Split audio tubes

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamdeep...e=results_main
DSCZ71 is offlineReport Post

msummers is a glorious beacon of lightmsummers is a glorious beacon of lightmsummers is a glorious beacon of lightmsummers is a glorious beacon of lightmsummers is a glorious beacon of light

06-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Really cool... cant wait to see how it holds up.
1.5mm Shim
4- 450 weights
White Spring
Barkers Slip-On
EHS Bullet
Warn 2500lb
Full Richocet Skids
Uni Filter
Snorkeled
Wild Boar Rad Relocation Kit
Tunes
Moose Bumper
Maier Flares
msummers is offlineReport Post

highlydriven is on a distinguished road

06-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Definitely want to see the results as I was thinking of using plast-dip on some of my truck parts but am worried about durability ,but if it can hold up to trail riding on an ATV I may just have to order a palette of the stuff and go crazy.

Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,057 Posts
Civicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I used plasti dip on my wheels. I was going to use it on my plastics but the color wasn't what I was expecting when I opened the can.

They have held up really well and I didn't do any prep, just cleaned them really well and painted it on.

28" ML's
Civicgsr is offlineReport Post

Graystone has a spectacular aura aboutGraystone has a spectacular aura aboutGraystone has a spectacular aura about

06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Isn't the whole point of Plasti dip the ability to cleanly take it off with out damaging the surface underneath? If you are just going to scuff the plastic anyways why don't you just use some paint that is designed for plastic? Then you get more color choices.
Graystone is offlineReport Post

kstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Graystone you are correct. However I've read thread after thread on different forums about paint chipping and cracking when flexed. I wanted to see what this plasti dip spray looked like, felt like, and just how it holds up on an ATV fender. I would never experiment on my grizzly plastics but since I had this spare arctic cat fender I thought why not play around with it.

I'm waiting for the plastidip to cure and harden, should be fine by tonight when I get home. Then I'll bang it around and see what happens. Might try some paint on the other side and see how it holds up.

nightcrawler is on a distinguished road
06-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Has anyone used a bedliner material, like you purchase from an autoparts store, and roll it on,... maybe I need to start an new thread to get more eyeballs on this topic
nightcrawler is offlineReport Post

06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Do a search for linex. nc grizz rider did a thread back in 2010 lining his plastics with liner. I've had my front and rear racks, bumpers and winch mount linex'ed before on a previous Yamaha. It was a great finish and durable as can be. But I can't speak for doing the plastics with the roll on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Search tags for this page
atv plastic dip
how to plasti dip atv plastics
painting atv plastics with plasti dip
plasti dip 4 wheeler

plasti dip atv

plasti dip atv fenders
plasti dip atv plastic

plasti dip atv plastics

plasti dip atv wheels
plasti dip fenders
plasti dip quad
plasti dip quad plastics
plasti dipping atv
plastic dip fenders
plastidip atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.