Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

What's the best way to pop out a fender dent?

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  okbear 
#1 ·
We went on our 3rd annual Black Friday ride the other day.
Anyways, I screwed up and put a deep dent in my right rear fender. :icon_ laughup:

Is there a good way to pop it back out? I tried a mallet, but it seems that I will need to put some serious force behind it to pop the dent. I haven't hit it too hard yet out of fear of breaking the plastic.

#2 ·
I am at work right now. I'll try to get a picture up after I get home.

#3 ·
I used a heat gun and a blunt piece of wood about 2"x2"x 12"
Heated front fender plastic up pushed the board into the kink take away the heat let cool while holding the plastic out further that it needs to be.

Some of the bend had to be done by hand using welding gloves heated the fender up then bent it by hand to can't tell it was kinked.

Reactions: Sugarfoot
#4 ·
Thanks reogem! I will give that a try soon. I still need to get the mud off 1st!

#5 ·
TRY HOT WATER

Pour it on it ,, maybe a couple buckets ..

It "MIGHT" just pop back out.. At the very least , it will soften the plastic , and allow you to push it out.

Good luck !

#8 ·
Ha! That's same kinda dent in the same place I had.
I'll see it I got after picture.

The hot water is a good idea. I dented the left rear fender next to the seat by standing on it, the hot water may have work well ion that case.
However in this case with the sharp bends it may not pop out.
You can focus the heat gun where it is needed the most. Plus it is instant constant heat.

#7 · (Edited)
Agree .. get a kettle going and pour the water over the dent slowly. Try to avoid the areas that are not damaged and focus on the dent and maybe an inch around it. Once it is nice and warm put on the thick gloves and massage the dent out. If their is a stubborn are that will push our but won't stay where it needs to be till it cools off use a rag in ice water to speed the process up on the cooling side ... it may take a reward attempts but every one should get you closer to the goal

#10 ·
I tried the easiest route 1st and it worked!
I used my wife's old hair dryer on high for a few minutes, working the top and the underside of the fender, then gave a good push with my hand.

Notice that I said I used her old hair dryer. Not the new one. I might have gotten my ass kicked if I used the new one....:icon_ goofy:

I don't know why the pics got flipped sideways....

Attachments

Reactions: reogem
#11 ·
Glad you got it taken care of! A heat gun should take those stress marks out.

#12 ·
No kidding? Maybe I need to buy a heat gun then and try it out!
Are you saying the it will darken up the light areas then?

#13 ·
Heat gun will take out stress marks .. even a gentle flame from a torch will darken them up.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I borrowed a heat gun from a friend and got rid of the stress marks in just a few minutes.
I will try to get some pics posted of the results.

Reactions: okbear and TRev
#16 ·
Awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.