Grizzly 450 frame damage from plowing? - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Chassis & Body Discuss Grizzly chassis and body modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-12-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Grizzly 450 frame damage from plowing?

Hello all:

I have a 2014 grizzly 450 I use for plowing my driveway. My plowing rig is the warn provantage front mount. Last night, after I got done plowing, I noticed the frame members that the plow's front mount bracket are attached to are starting to flatten where it meets the bracket (toward the lower part of bracket). They are not bent, just flattened. It looks as if the bottom of the bracket made an indent in the tube. The bottom U-bolts were also missing on one side and loose on the other. Top U-bolts are tight. It's the same situation on both sides.

When I plow, sometimes the blade will catch on the ground (transition from pavement to grass) and trip the blade forward. This causes the machine to annoyingly jar and stop but I'm not going that fast when it happens and I would think the blade tripping would be enough safeguard from frame damage. Every time it happens I cringe and think about the forces transferring to the machine.

Anyone else notice this? Could it be from catching the ground? Too tight of U-bolts? I don't remember this happening when I installed it. Should I worry? Is the blade tilted too far forward or rearward? I fear I may be damaging my frame. I feel like the "crushing" of the tubes have contributed to the loose / missing U-bolts... they could have vibrated loose but I'd think the upper bolts would have done this as well.

I just don't want to continue plowing with it and risk it flattening that tube to the point of allowing it to bend.

Any help or insight would be great!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 AM

Are you able to post any pics of what you're seeing?

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
handlebar mounted light bar
MotionPro twist throttle kit
stock Rhino rims and tires
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
rear rack wheelchair carrier
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
it's finicky and a turd but
i'm not cruel enough to sell it
post #3 of 10 Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

When I get home from work, I'll post them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Here are pictures. This is a view of the left side of machine. The bottom U-bolt is missing.

I feel like it has to be damage from plowing. Reason I say this is because the bottom U-bolts were loose or missing. When the mount crushed the bottom part of the tube it must have loosened up that U-bolt. The upper bolt is still tight (and the tubing in that section isn't crushed)

When i bought the system I was nervous about frame damage as compared to the belly mount system. After doing a bunch of research, I decided on the front mount because everyone loved it and I didn't see anything about machines frames being messed up from using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	41737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	41745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	41753  
post #5 of 10 Old 12-13-2016, 08:21 AM

I only see one place in the pic where frame looks "flattened" a bit. And that looks right where the bottom u-bolt was, and looks like it was flattened from an over-tight u-bolt. I would put a u-bolt back in, but use nylock nuts this time, and not over-tighten it. Let others weigh in first, cause I don't have this same specific setup, just commenting on what it looks like to me. I'm wrong as often as I'm right.

Edit: after looking at it closer, I do see what appears to be a start of a "kink" happening, right at the bottom of the mount plate on that side of the frame tube. Hard to tell if it was from u-bolt tightening, or plow impact, or the combination of both.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
JBS sheave - no shim
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
KFI 48" plow

2004 Rancher AT

Last edited by tythomps; 12-13-2016 at 08:27 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-13-2016, 09:24 AM

Thanked 2,264 Times in 1,621 Posts

It looks to me that because the bottom u-bolts were missing or loose (see the paint has been worn off) that the plow frame has been flexing and slamming against the frame tube flattening it. Install the bolts tight and inspect them often. As TY posted use locknuts
Also check that frame bolt it looks like it has been moving.

Good practice would be to check all of the mounting points before you plow.

Twin sister 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Camo
26" Reptiles
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels

Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Camo
25" Reptiles
STI HD1 Wheels

2013 Ole blue 700
Putting out to Stud 21365 miles
No eps has MMS
360/120 CVT
UniFilter
Going to have 26" Black water EVOs
on stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.

Retired..05 camo 660

TRADED IN
11 green 450eps
post #7 of 10 Old 12-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Thanked 2,561 Times in 1,407 Posts

I agree with reogem. Looks like the bolt came lose and the mount was making an impact with the frame. Doesn't look like to much to worry about to me

2016 Wolverine R Spec EPS, Custom satin black, Grabber Green Cage, 32inch led bar, Dual Cube back up light, LED H4 headlight bulbs, 27" BigHorn OGs on ITP 212s, Terra45 SuperWinch, Roof Mount Stereo w/Bluetooth, Machined primary, 18 gram weights, gold secondary

SOLD****2013 Grizzly 700 Camo - loved this machine but wanted a side by side
post #8 of 10 Old 12-13-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Yea that could be the case... I'll put new U bolts on with locknuts and inspect it more often. I didn't notice the frame bolt moved before someone mentioned it. I mean the bolt didn't move but it looks as if the mount moved up. I'll have to look at that.

Maybe next week I'll pull the front end apart and remove the mount to see a better picture of what's going on. Maybe add some bracing go reinforce the whole system and frame up there.

Like I mentioned before, I just don't want it to "crush" the tube to the point where it easily bends. You can tell it's starting to crease there when you run your fingers along the tube near that flat spot and feel the tube widen by the crushed spot.

I don't think that it will cause any major problems anytime soon, it's more annoying than anything. In the meantime I'll just be extra careful with it.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-13-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf1999 View Post
Yea that could be the case... I'll put new U bolts on with locknuts and inspect it more often. I didn't notice the frame bolt moved before someone mentioned it. I mean the bolt didn't move but it looks as if the mount moved up. I'll have to look at that.

Maybe next week I'll pull the front end apart and remove the mount to see a better picture of what's going on. Maybe add some bracing go reinforce the whole system and frame up there.

Like I mentioned before, I just don't want it to "crush" the tube to the point where it easily bends. You can tell it's starting to crease there when you run your fingers along the tube near that flat spot and feel the tube widen by the crushed spot.

I don't think that it will cause any major problems anytime soon, it's more annoying than anything. In the meantime I'll just be extra careful with it.
Here's an item that could help even the load out on the tubing, can buy right from Grainger: https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/ZSI-...Spec-Sheet.pdf But you'd need to have space on the mount plate to drill new holes with slightly wider spacing, since the u-bolts would be slightly bigger than the ones currently on it.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
JBS sheave - no shim
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
KFI 48" plow

2004 Rancher AT
post #10 of 10 Old 12-14-2016, 09:53 AM

I would also make sure your plow springs are as soft as they can be. Maybe even swap them out for softer ones.

2012 Grizzly 700 SE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode