Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

still wont idle?

This is a discussion on still wont idle? within the Grizzly Dyno/Tuning forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; i tried everything guys, moving the needle cleaning everything out everything quad still wont idle??...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Dyno/Tuning

Grizzly Dyno/Tuning Post all your Grizzly dyno/tuning information here!

grizz825 will become famous soon enough
04-30-2011, 06:26 PM
still wont idle?

i tried everything guys, moving the needle cleaning everything out everything quad still wont idle??
grizz825 is offlineReport Post

Aarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2011, 12:02 AM
What have you done?
Did you check your valves?
What about the clearance on the float needle?
Just throwing some out there.
Louisiana mud boggers member #2
"YACC" member #1
Owner of Axle Customs ATV
2004 720 grizz with alot of other shit!

Rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.
Aarons grizznizz is offlineReport Post

05-01-2011, 09:05 AM
not the valves but we checked the float level its a little high but if it was too high then it would make gas come out the overflow.but idk what else to try

Aarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond repute

05-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Is it just idling low and dieing or is it sputtering?
"YACC" member #1

05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
its just dying. 1/4 throttle its sputtering real bad but after 1/4 throttle it runs like a beast. idk what it could be. me personally like u said i think its the valves not opening up all the way or the top end is all loaded up from the carbon. the valves havent been adjusted since 99

05-01-2011, 07:48 PM
What do you have your air/fuel mixture screw at?
"YACC" member #1

05-01-2011, 08:15 PM
i turned it back and forth from all the way open to closed completely. the factory setting is 3 1/2 out from all the way in. it kept the idle for about 10 secs and seemed like it was loading up. i put a new plug in it set it back to stock needle and jet settings cuz i had a a size and a half bigger but it was running really rich. also it is blowing a little tiny bit if black smoke but idk how when its stalk settings. im buying a new carb breather filter and air filter to see if that clears it up. but i have no idea what it could be. my mechanic that build my race quad said thats wild if its doing that. he really cant figure it out. he cleaned the carb made sure the float was right and pilot jet was cleaned everything. the float is a little high but if it was too high it would push the extra gas threw the overflow hoses.

05-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Take your air box lid off and run it to see if it clears up.
"YACC" member #1

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,119 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Man the problem is inside your carb and nowhere else. Why do you say this?: "the float is a little high but if it was too high it would push the extra gas threw the overflow hoses"
If the fuel level is too high it WILL NOT idle right. You have no hope of it idling right if it isn't correct
Set it to SPEC!
Fuel level too high= black smoke, runs rich, won't idle!!!!

If it still won't idle after setting the fuel level CORRECT then you have crap in the pilot jet or your choke plunger isn't closing all the way and fuel is being pulled through.

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

donster57 is a jewel in the roughdonster57 is a jewel in the roughdonster57 is a jewel in the roughdonster57 is a jewel in the rough
Location: Perth, Western Australia. Relatively easy to get to major coastal sand dunes and fishing locations.

05-02-2011, 09:17 AM
I once had a problem where a motor wouldn't idle. It turned out to be a small piece of gasket material under the idle screw needle. Once I blew itout thoroughly, the motor ran fine.
Have you blown compressed air through the carby orifices?
donster57 is offlineReport Post

05-02-2011, 03:23 PM
yea i have. i cleaned it all out the pilot jet main jet eta. and that what was this guy said that rebuilts motors for a living. i asked him but idk.

05-02-2011, 03:31 PM
would anything electrical make it not idle or sputter like it is?

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,119 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
No, like I said it's in your carb and you start by setting the fuel level to SPEC. Just because you went in the carb one time, that means nothing. Maybe you'll be in there 5 times before you get it right.

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

05-02-2011, 08:19 PM
ok well idk thats why i asked. im pretty sure it has to do with the float level but i thought it would of came threw the bottom lines on the carb if there was too much in the bowl. but im goin to clean it out one more time set the float to SPEC put a new air filter cuz i need one no matter what and a new carb breather filter and if it doesnt clear up im taking it to the dealer. im takin the top end off soon because i want to put a new piston rings and port/polish the ports.

wrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant futurewrekd has a brilliant future

05-02-2011, 10:15 PM
JMO, but I would put the A/F screw at 2 - 2 1/2 turns out. 3 1/2 is a little too much. And I dont know how bad your air filter is but if its really plugged up that will cause it too.

Blue 11 700 Grizz w/EPS

My Garage
My Videos
wrekd is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Dyno/Tuning

Search tags for this page
89 yamaha big bear 350 wont idle
atv black smoke no start
atv engine will not idle
atv running rich and poor idle

atv will not idle

atv wont idle

bruin wont idle
canam atv wont idle
grizzly 300 not idling
if a atv wont idle what happens if move needle up?
quad will not idle

quad wont idle

yamaha atv wont idle
yamaha breeze wont idle
yamaha grizzly 700 blows lots of black smoke runs rich runs rough
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.