Official 2016 Grizzly EHS fuel controller install/results/thoughts/questions thread! - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Dyno/Tuning Post all your Grizzly dyno/tuning information here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 143 Old 02-08-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Official 2016 Grizzly EHS fuel controller install/results/thoughts/questions thread!

I installed my fuel controller last night. Install was very easy. When I talked to Eric on the phone he said he was sending the controllers out set up for a tip on the stock exhaust. When I got mine hooked up I checked the settings and it's actually set up for a 100% stock machine which is what I currently have. For u guys that have a tip it doesn't matter as its relatively easy to change the settings once u check it all out for whatever mods ur machine currently has or will have. The only settings that change if ur using Eric's recommendations for diff exhaust setups are the first three modes. The last three are the same regardless. Although u can change them if u ever feel the need.

Before I installed the controller I played around in the yard some and attempted to do some runs from a stop to say the corner of my house hitting a max speed of 42 mph but usually it was 40. Some from a roll at 15mph to the corner of my house. I did it multiple times trying to get a good average.

Once the controller was installed I checked the tune that was loaded up and rode around easy to thoroughly warm the machine. I did the same test hits but it was a bit harder to judge the finish line so to speak as it was now dark. At any rate I did see a very small increase in mph on the pod by hitting a best of 43 and a few 42s. This is in no way the best and most accurate way to test but hey it's all I could really do by myself lol.

As far as seat of the pants gain, if someone had installed it and not told me, I don't believe I would have ever noticed a diff. Maybe once I hit the trails I will notice a diff in certain situation but last night I can't say I did.

What I did notice is my head pipe is no longer glowing like it use to. After the hard runs I pulled in the garage with the lights off and looked and couldn't see it at all. After 2-3 cycles of the fan it still wasn't glowing. I took it back out rode at a more normal pace and returned for two more fan cycles at idle and it still didn't glow. Use to I could see it turning with the lights on!

I noticed the closed throttle decel sputtering is still there for all of us that were hoping that would go away. I may try blocking off the AIS to see if that helps eliminate that pet peeve.

My main reason for wanting one of these was to correct the lean condition. Any performance increase was a bonus. I'll def line up with my buddies modded 13 that I beat before to see if I can tell a larger diff. As well as doing another top speed run when weather permits. My fastest to date was 69 mph but since adding the 17" light bar and my audio tube on a diff day the fastest I hit during a ride was 68.

I ordered a 2R Racing tip last night as well. Maybe being more open it will help with the decel sputter as well as add a little more power boost. The sweet thing about this controller and the stock exhaust and a tip is I can swap back and forth the tune and the tip based off what I'm going to be doing or where I'm riding. And all in prolly 5-10 mins tops.

Here's a few pics to tide you all over until your unit comes in and u can check it all out and post your thoughts up.

Here's a video of before and after the 2R racing tip install and how to adjust the controller for the added fuel for the tip.

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Bri...ntyox.mp4.html

2016 Grizzly EPS (Camo)
Black 14" SS108s/26" Big Horn OGs, custom built audio tube, 17" light bar, Heat Demon ODI lock on grips and thumb warmer(winter), EHS fuel controller, 2R Racing exhaust tip

2016 Viking EPS (Camo) 100% stock (for now)

04 660 Grizzly(Green)
14" Black SS108s/26" Big Horn OGs (previously 30" Zillas), 1" wheel spacers, Pro Design intake setup, HMF slip on/re-jetted, machined sheave/gold secondary spring/extreme duty belt (SOLD)

Last edited by KYGrizzly; 02-12-2016 at 12:50 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KYGrizzly For This Useful Post:
cbull (02-08-2016), dag1401 (02-09-2016), Hammerhead (02-09-2016), okbear (02-09-2016), PA. GRIZZLY (02-09-2016), swampdonkeyvt (02-08-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 02-08-2016, 07:49 PM

looking forward to setting it up

2016 grizzly 700 eps se
warn prowinch
yamaha heated grips
yamaha heated seat cover
rear brush guard
powermadd hand guards (pink ones!!)
yamaha rear storage box

2000 grizzly 6004x4 (sold to son in law)
warn winch

2015 polaris sportsman xp1000 ppc

2005 suzuki ltz-400 quad sport
post #3 of 143 Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 PM

Thanks for posting this thread, since this is the official thread I will post my thoughts on the tuner here instead of cluttering with a similar thread.

I can't touch on the install of the tuner as I did not do it, but if you followed the directions from EHS we will have the same exact set up. I don't believe it is to difficult.

I finally got my bike out this weekend and did notice like you that the exhaust decel popping is still occurring. During the day I noticed it ALOT in LOW, and not as much in HIGH, still there though. Something of blocking the AIS to stop this? I am not sure what that is, but looking forward to hearing if that stops this from happening.

I also posted a thread the other day about the Head Pipe glowing and I got to thinking more and I had the quiet core/spark arrestor in that day, I took it out for this weekend and I didn't notice any glowing either. It was very sunny though, I'll keep an eye out for it on the next night ride.

Typically in the past my fan would cycle on quite a bit during a day's ride - I can only recall it kicking on a couple times this weekend, temperature was in the 30's (Fahrenheit).

I have left the settings as they were the day I picked it up from Eric at EHS. I don't have instructions but with your picture I am assuming the Map is set up for the Full Exhaust.

I have mine velcro'd to the right of my fuse block, but I like KYGrizzly's location, so I may try and put it up there as well if I have the room.

Power Gains - As it looks, I'll be the only one with the Full Single as they are going a different route now, but from what I can tell it has more pick up, and I lifted the front wheels off the ground a lot easier than I recall before the tuner and exhaust. So anyone that ends up grabbing the Full Duals hold on for the ride!!

Looking forward to everyone else's experiences with this tuner. I think it will be a great investment for all of you.

Andy

2016 Grizzly 700 EPS - Green
Warn Vantage 3000 Winch - Steel Cable
EHS Racing Fuel Controller
Barker's Full Exhaust System
AIS Delete
Garmin 64S with RAM Mount
Powermadd Star Series Handguard
Heat Demon Quad Zone Heater
2" Yamaha Receiver
Ultra-Tow D-Ring Hitch
TigerTail Tow System
22" LED Light Bar
2 - 4" LED Cubes (rear)
Rear Cargo Box
GoPro Hero 4 - Helmet Mounted
2 - Bedliner Coated Auxiliary Storage/Fuel Boxes

*Warn ProVantage 54" Plow System Coming Soon*

Last edited by adc27; 02-08-2016 at 08:13 PM.
post #4 of 143 Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 PM

Anyone else thought about setting theirs up for e85?
I wonder if the ehs will give us enough fuel for it
post #5 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc27 View Post
Thanks for posting this thread, since this is the official thread I will post my thoughts on the tuner here instead of cluttering with a similar thread.

I can't touch on the install of the tuner as I did not do it, but if you followed the directions from EHS we will have the same exact set up. I don't believe it is to difficult.

I finally got my bike out this weekend and did notice like you that the exhaust decel popping is still occurring. During the day I noticed it ALOT in LOW, and not as much in HIGH, still there though. Something of blocking the AIS to stop this? I am not sure what that is, but looking forward to hearing if that stops this from happening.

I also posted a thread the other day about the Head Pipe glowing and I got to thinking more and I had the quiet core/spark arrestor in that day, I took it out for this weekend and I didn't notice any glowing either. It was very sunny though, I'll keep an eye out for it on the next night ride.

Typically in the past my fan would cycle on quite a bit during a day's ride - I can only recall it kicking on a couple times this weekend, temperature was in the 30's (Fahrenheit).

I have left the settings as they were the day I picked it up from Eric at EHS. I don't have instructions but with your picture I am assuming the Map is set up for the Full Exhaust.

I have mine velcro'd to the right of my fuse block, but I like KYGrizzly's location, so I may try and put it up there as well if I have the room.

Power Gains - As it looks, I'll be the only one with the Full Single as they are going a different route now, but from what I can tell it has more pick up, and I lifted the front wheels off the ground a lot easier than I recall before the tuner and exhaust. So anyone that ends up grabbing the Full Duals hold on for the ride!!

Looking forward to everyone else's experiences with this tuner. I think it will be a great investment for all of you.
The AIS injects fresh air into the exhaust stream. It's suppose to increase the EGT to aid the catalytic converter. Tree hugging stuff lol. If you watch the vids Eric posted on you tube you'll see the hose he disconnected and temporarily plugged off just to show the difference in air fuel on the sniffer. Setting on the machine it was the left hose that plugs into the front of the air box.

My goodness, what is all that wiring for inside the storage compartment? I would personally hate to lose that storage space. I use mine all the time for various things. I figured having the controller velcro'd to the underside of the lid would keep it safe and dry, won't have to worry about the buttons getting pressed, and I won't lose any storage capacity.

I do wonder if your head pipe is thinner than the stock unit cause with better breathing of your exhaust setup it should be cooler than my still fully choked setup. The temp here yesterday evening and early night was low 50s to upper 40s.

If you want to check what yours is set to, with it running hit the mode button which is the Ehs logo. See which LEDs light up. You only have a few seconds before it exits out on its own. So be kinda quick and make note of the first 3 modes. I'm sure it's set best for your setup since Eric had it personally, but if your the curious type like myself you'll want to look lol.

If it matches the instructions I have for a full pipe it would be first mode which is green, led 4 should light up. Second mode is yellow and leds 2 and 3 should both light up which indicates 2.5. 3rd mode which is red the 2nd led should light up. The next 3 modes are all the same for all the setups in my instructions. As long as u don't hit the plus or minus buttons u can scroll through the diff modes checking the settings without effecting anything. It'll automatically exit out so no worries.

So can u jab it from an idle in high on pavement or other surfaces where traction is available without pulling on the bars or leaning back and it wheelie? Mine won't. In low it would stock, haven't tried it again in low since the tuner but it still won't in high. My 660 with 30s, machined sheave, gold spring, and stock weights would set u on the back rack from idle in high if you wanted. Same when I swapped to the big horns on it. Those clutch mods and the effects of the sheave on the gearing makes up a lot for lack of power cause this 708 once rolling is way stouter. Anytime I jump on my old machine (sold it to a buddy) it's like wow this thing is geared low! Even more apparent with stock tires on it now haha.

2016 Grizzly EPS (Camo)
Black 14" SS108s/26" Big Horn OGs, custom built audio tube, 17" light bar, Heat Demon ODI lock on grips and thumb warmer(winter), EHS fuel controller, 2R Racing exhaust tip

04 660 Grizzly(Green)
14" Black SS108s/26" Big Horn OGs (previously 30" Zillas), 1" wheel spacers, Pro Design intake setup, HMF slip on/re-jetted, machined sheave/gold secondary spring/extreme duty belt (SOLD)
post #6 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1460 View Post
Anyone else thought about setting theirs up for e85?
I wonder if the ehs will give us enough fuel for it
I'm pretty positive Yamaha didn't design these machines to run fuels with that much ethanol. I even believe I have read somewhere that they posted up they aren't to run ethanol blended fuels at all. Which most of us are stuck running at least e10 and seem to do so with no issues. I personally wouldn't suggest attempting to run e85 in one. I don't see any benefit to it in this application, but could definitely see some downsides.

2016 Grizzly EPS (Camo)

04 660 Grizzly(Green)
post #7 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 AM

KYGrizzly
yeah ethanol can be quite a damaging fuel but it is definitely a power maker and a cooler running fuel. Reducing engine temps would be my goal with using it but if the fuel pump and system wont handle it I might forgo testing with it.
You asked adc27 if his bike would pull up in high on pavement and then you compared it to your old 660. This is the main reason I started modifying mine. mine being a kodiak would not even try to pull up the front. My buddies old 660 pulled me from a stop on pavement.
After a few mods mine will wheelie nicely on pavement and that was before the cvt weights and 1.5mm shim. Go find my post about it.
post #8 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,569 Posts

Good call KYGrizzly.
I see in the 2016 700 owners manual that Yamaha requires 91 octane fuel without corn.
In my 13 700... 87 and 10% corn is approved.

2013 blue 700
No eps has MMS
360/120 CVT
UniFilter
26"Reptiles
STI HD1 Beadlock wheels
grezzzless clutch.

Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700
Camo
25" Reptiles
STI HD1 Wheels

05 camo 660
KN filter w/outerwear
grezzzless clutch

TRADED IN
11 green 450eps
The Following User Says Thank You to reogem For This Useful Post:
GRIZZLYMAN1971 (09-12-2016)
post #9 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1460 View Post
KYGrizzly
yeah ethanol can be quite a damaging fuel but it is definitely a power maker and a cooler running fuel. Reducing engine temps would be my goal with using it but if the fuel pump and system wont handle it I might forgo testing with it.
You asked adc27 if his bike would pull up in high on pavement and then you compared it to your old 660. This is the main reason I started modifying mine. mine being a kodiak would not even try to pull up the front. My buddies old 660 pulled me from a stop on pavement.
After a few mods mine will wheelie nicely on pavement and that was before the cvt weights and 1.5mm shim. Go find my post about it.
Yes it can be if the fuel system wasn't designed for it.

I agree it's a cooler running fuel and is more resistant to detonation than even pump 93. It's great for high compression performance engines, supercharged or turbo charged applications. However, in a mild engine like the 708 you wouldn't see any power increase, likely u would have even less power output. You would definitely have greater fuel consumption compared to gasoline as it requires a pretty significant increase in volume of ethanol to produce the same amount of energy that gasoline does.

My 16 is def quicker in all situations racing wise compared to my old 660 and any 686 700s I've been around. It just doesn't lift the tires up in high from a stop which is mainly the gearing and clutch differences cause my 660 wouldn't wheelie like that in high prior to those changes.

I read ur post and I'm anxious to see what ur results are with the controller compared to your resistor mods. Since mine won't wheelie with the controller in high but you state urs would after your exhaust mod and resistors, I'm going to make a guess that the exhaust helped u since mine is still stock. I'll be trying it again once my tip comes in the end of this week.

With all that said I'm not a wheelie crazed guy by any means. It is just nice to know if needed or wanted u can stab the throttle and bring it up for whatever reason. Now when I'm out on the trail I've gotten aggressive with it while moving and on a lower grade incline and its brought em up many times. It's just that normal seating position at idle stab that it says no sir lol.

You said u hadn't beat on it too awful much since u believe it to be lean. Did u ever get a top speed reading totally stock? If so I'd be curious to see what it will be with the controller, ur exhaust mod, and the shim and weights. I didn't hit the limiter on either of my top speed runs of 69 mph and 68 on a diff occasion after some weight added and being less aerodynamic. I'm going to see how fast it will go with the controller then the tip and controller. If it still doesn't hit the limiter, then maybe the shim won't lose any top speed but just give the machine the extra mechanical leverage to rev on out.

Look forward to these findings from your testing, my own, as well as anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
Good call KYGrizzly.
I see in the 2016 700 owners manual that Yamaha requires 91 octane fuel without corn.
In my 13 700... 87 and 10% corn is approved.
My last statement was read smwhere else on the forum or a link someone posted in the last couple months. I went ahead and grabbed my 16 owners manual and it states 86 or higher octane is fine for these machines using the r+m/2 method which is the method used for fuel at the stations in the U.S. The lowest I've ever seen is 87.

The 91 octane is research octane which isn't tested the same way. It would be the lowest standard of testing I guess u could say. The highest standard of testing is motor octane. What we see at the pump here and in many other countries is just what I posted above, the average of those two methods hence the r+m/2 formula.

Lastly it does state fuels blended with up to 10% ethanol is ok for our machines.

2016 Grizzly EPS (Camo)

04 660 Grizzly(Green)
The Following User Says Thank You to KYGrizzly For This Useful Post:
13_xxc (04-03-2016)
post #10 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM

The whole wheelie thing i think is more in the clutching. I have shims and lighter weights. wheelies just fine in high range from both a stop or roll.

2016 Grizzly 700 EPS
EHS Fuel Controller
1.7 Clutch Shim
16 Gram Grease Less Weights
Pitbull Growlers
Barkers slip on
K&N filter with pre filter

2014 Sportsman 570 EPS
25 Bighorn 2.0 Viking take offs
The Following User Says Thank You to swampdonkeyvt For This Useful Post:
13_xxc (04-03-2016)
post #11 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkeyvt View Post
The whole wheelie thing i think is more in the clutching. I have shims and lighter weights. wheelies just fine in high range from both a stop or roll.
I agree with you on that. The controller and exhaust will prolly help some but not near as much as clutch mods.

Did you do a wot run with the same tires before and after the shims and weights?

2016 Grizzly EPS (Camo)

04 660 Grizzly(Green)
post #12 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM

Yes. 66 mph before clutch mods. Can still pull 66 with the 1.5 shim and 16 gram grease less weights.

2016 Grizzly 700 EPS
EHS Fuel Controller
1.7 Clutch Shim
Pitbull Growlers
Barkers slip on

2014 Sportsman 570 EPS
post #13 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 PM

That is on stock tires.

2016 Grizzly 700 EPS
EHS Fuel Controller
1.7 Clutch Shim
Pitbull Growlers
Barkers slip on

2014 Sportsman 570 EPS
post #14 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

That is sweet and exactly what I hoped for! Not that I need crazy top end but when we ride places where we hit the pavement between trails it's fun to pass my buddies or keep them from passing me haha.

How much do you weigh? Both of my runs were with my 26" big horns. First one was with nothing added to the machine and I weigh 130. Second one few months later was with my audio tube and light bar up front and a cooler on the back with some redneck pepsi inside.

These runs were what the pod said btw. I checked it with the gps and it read fast with stock tires but just about dead on with the big horns. In the end it doesn't matter as long as everyone testing their changes uses the same tires for each of their own runs for best accuracy of gains or losses.

2016 Grizzly EPS (Camo)

04 660 Grizzly(Green)
post #15 of 143 Old 02-09-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYGrizzly View Post
That is sweet and exactly what I hoped for! Not that I need crazy top end but when we ride places where we hit the pavement between trails it's fun to pass my buddies or keep them from passing me haha.

How much do you weigh? Both of my runs were with my 26" big horns. First one was with nothing added to the machine and I weigh 130. Second one few months later was with my audio tube and light bar up front and a cooler on the back with some redneck pepsi inside.

These runs were what the pod said btw. I checked it with the gps and it read fast with stock tires but just about dead on with the big horns. In the end it doesn't matter as long as everyone testing their changes uses the same tires for each of their own runs for best accuracy of gains or losses.
Im 200 pounds and the only extra weight on my machine is a winch and plow mount.

2016 Grizzly 700 EPS
EHS Fuel Controller
1.7 Clutch Shim
Pitbull Growlers
Barkers slip on

2014 Sportsman 570 EPS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Dyno/Tuning

Search tags for this page

2016 grizzly 700 fuel controller

2016 grizzly fuel controller

2016 grizzly lifted

2016 yamaha grizzly 700 ehs

best fuel controller 2016 grizzly 700

ehs 2016 grizzly 700 feul controler

ehs fuel controller

ehs racing 2016 grizzly 700

ehs tuner for 2016 yamaha grizzly 700

fuel controler for 2016 grizzly

yamaha grizzly 700 fuel controler taps into intake temp

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode