Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Good Pod Mod instructions needed,09-700 Grizzly

This is a discussion on Good Pod Mod instructions needed,09-700 Grizzly within the Grizzly Dyno/Tuning forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Could someone please send me a link for a good set of instructions to make the Pod Mod on an 2009 700 Grizzly? If you ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Dyno/Tuning

Grizzly Dyno/Tuning Post all your Grizzly dyno/tuning information here!

rpmlou will become famous soon enough

06-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Good Pod Mod instructions needed,09-700 Grizzly

Could someone please send me a link for a good set of instructions to make the Pod Mod on an 2009 700 Grizzly? If you have an PDF instead, email that to me. Thanks guys!

rpmlou@aol.com
rpmlou is offlineReport Post

benny_64 has a spectacular aura aboutbenny_64 has a spectacular aura about

06-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I haven't put the pod mod on mine, but I have looked over the instructions and from what I remember once you take out the battery bar and pull the ecu out the harness that plugs into it should have two yellow wires coming out of it, one on each side of the harness. These yellow wires are actually the same wire making a loop, but you just hook the pod mod up to both of them and ground (to the negative post on the battery) the ground wire for the mod. I'm pretty sure all you're really doing is grounding the looped wire so you can access settings in diagnostic mode. you should be able to just put a switch in that will create a connection from the loop to ground when you flip it.

duckaholic1187 will become famous soon enough

06-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Ok guys I have the 09. and the pod mod does work. But be careful, the ecu is a little diff on the 09s. and it is on the left side of the batt. instead of under the EPS box. it has two plug ins instead of one. the one with the most wires on it is the one your going to need. also there are 3 yellow/white wires instead of two on the 09s. make sure you find the one that comes out of the plug and loops back in. one of the y/w wires is all the way to one side of the plug under/over a little white insert. that is the one you need. give it a little tug like your trying to get some slack out of it and you will see that it just loops back into the plug.

Now there is 2 ways to do this. i took the more daring route but With the way i did it there are no swithes or having to keep grounding and ungrounding a wire to mess with the settings. once you do it you are done and never have to mess with anything else, But the choice is yours.

The way i did it is 1st i unplugged the plug with the most wires on it and popped the orange cover off of the plug. Next, take a very small screw driver and use it to push the y/w wire that is all the way to the one side, out of the plug. make sure you stick it in the middle row of holes and not the outer row(the outer rows are the female ends of the connectors that mates to the ECU and you will mess the connection up). its kinda stiff but it will come out with a little pressure. once you get it out, look at where the other side of the wire is on the plug. there is another one of those white inserts directly above/under it. remove and place the wire in this slot. note which way the wire came out of the plug so that you put it back in correctly. make sure the connector seats back in the plug correctly. you should feel a very so slight snap when it gets in there good.

now the white insert you took out needs to be put in the hole that the wire came out of. Replace orange cover, plug back in and follow the steps to access the C1 settings.

The second way to do it is to cut the wire and put it on a single pole double throw switch. with one side of the switch connected to ground. flip the switch to ground to mess with settings then flip back to run the bike. I personally didnt do this because i wasnt to crazy bout cutting that wire but thats just me.

either will work. And sorry i dont have any pics but there is a thread on here that has some pics of how to switch that wire around but ill have to look for it.

Its actually pretty simple once you see how everything goes together. If you have any questions just ask and i will try to help. and if you need those pics let me know and ill see if i can find them.

let me know how it turns out man.

Happy Ridin'
duckaholic1187 is offlineReport Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to duckaholic1187 For This Useful Post:
09grizzly550 (10-09-2009), benny_64 (06-16-2009), Chasmack (02-09-2012), Dirtydeeds (06-14-2010), Trailblazer23 (06-15-2009), wraider1 (02-23-2011)

Trailblazer23 will become famous soon enough

06-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Do you run an aftermarket pipe with the "pod mod"? I have an 09 and wanting to get the HMF swamp seires, but not sure if I will need a fuel controller or if the "pod mod" will be enough?

W/Stuff 2 Make It Better
Trailblazer23 is offlineReport Post

06-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer23 View Post
Do you run an aftermarket pipe with the "pod mod"? I have an 09 and wanting to get the HMF swamp seires, but not sure if I will need a fuel controller or if the "pod mod" will be enough?

Hey Trail,

Supposedly the pod mod is only good for the first 25% of the throttle. Which means your mid range and top end will not be effected at all.

With that bein said, I personally have not put an aftermarket exhaust on yet because of fundalation if you know what i mean, but plan on it pretty soon. I am only runnin the pod at 15 right now. Just did it to have the option. I plan on puttin a 2r tip on untill i can afford an exhaust. I to am looking at getting the swamp XL series. I am also getting the HMF optimizer bein that the pod mod is only good for the first 25% of the throttle. Also will void warranty on pipe if you dont have it i believe. And if you look on the hmf website they have the recommended settings for the optimizer. Although putting it on a dyno would be a little more precise im sure.

The optimizer takes care of the entire powerband. Bottom, Mid, and Top end. Which from what i have read will save you a lot of heartache in the long run do to lean conditions. you will be flowing a lot more air and not enough fuel(LEAN)

I would also recommend some type of airbox mod to even things out. The more air out calls for more air in.

Hope this helps and if you search around a little bit on this site im sure you can find a lot more info on this subject just to verify things and maybe even some things i might have left out.

good luck and happy ridin'
The Following User Says Thank You to duckaholic1187 For This Useful Post:
bowren26 (06-16-2009)

06-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks 4 the info. I am going to go out on a limb here...... I was speaking to the service guys at the Yamaha shop and I was told the R1's have the same mod as the grizzly "Co" screen BUT they have Co 1-4 the "C" Meaning Cylinder.... The reason the Grizzly has Co ONLY is cause its a single cylinder NOT a 4 cylinder like the R1 "Remember Co 1-4" So in-fact the EXTRA Fuel delivery is NOT the 1st 25% but in fact the Whole RMP range.... Any thoughts?

W/Stuff 2 Make It Better
The Following User Says Thank You to Trailblazer23 For This Useful Post:
Wemac (07-12-2010)
DJ

Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,227 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

06-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Thanks 4 the info. I am going to go out on a limb here...... I was speaking to the service guys at the Yamaha shop and I was told the R1's have the same mod as the grizzly "Co" screen BUT they have Co 1-4 the "C" Meaning Cylinder.... The reason the Grizzly has Co ONLY is cause its a single cylinder NOT a 4 cylinder like the R1 "Remember Co 1-4" So in-fact the EXTRA Fuel delivery is NOT the 1st 25% but in fact the Whole RMP range.... Any thoughts?

X2 I have seen posts by Yamaha Techs confirming that the POD fuel settings affect the whole RPM range!! I believe that was on the NYROC forum.
AZ08Grizz is online nowReport Post

bowren26 will become famous soon enoughbowren26 will become famous soon enough

06-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey duckaholic1187,

Could you get us a couple pics of the 09 harness. Your the first person I've read about doing the mod to the 09. All the other right-ups I've seen with pics are of the 07-08 ecu harness, which has only one large plug.

Also was there any noticible difference in that first 25%. I had read the pod mods didnt change anything on the 09's thats why nobody done them.

Thanks,
Matt
bowren26 is offlineReport Post

660grizzlytec will become famous soon enough660grizzlytec will become famous soon enough

06-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Ahhh NO sorry Co1-4, Co 1 is for number 1 cylinder Co2 for cylinder number 2 and so on.

Far as I know that the pod mod should work through out the entire RPM band. Would need to install a A/F meter to make sure.
660grizzlytec is offlineReport Post

06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
As i said before guys i had just read that it is only good for the first 25% of the throttle. It may in fact be good for the whole rpm range(which would be awesome by the way. would save ME 250 bucks). But the question is would it be enough with aftermarket exhaust and some intake mods?

Hey bowren26,

as soon as i get me another camera i will def. do that. mine fell in the water. WATER+CAMERA=BROKE!

and as far as tellin a difference i couldnt say for sure. To me it felt like it had a tad bit more out of the whole when i had it set at about 45 but it could of just been me wanting it to have a little more. I am still running stock exhaust and air box so im sure it was runnin a bit rich.

I couldnt really say for sure unless i put it on a dyno.

it does however seem to idle a little better. not that it was stalling or anything but it will kinda idle high then low, high then low. Service guy told me it was the fuel injection system that does that but i dont know. it still does it a little bit at cold start up but after she gets warmed up it seems to idle just fine.

06-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 660grizzlytec View Post
Ahhh NO sorry Co1-4, Co 1 is for number 1 cylinder Co2 for cylinder number 2 and so on.

Far as I know that the pod mod should work through out the entire RPM band. Would need to install a A/F meter to make sure.

Does anyone know where to get an AF quage I think I sam someone with it PEREMNITLY installed on the brute.

W/Stuff 2 Make It Better

06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Does anyone know where to get an AF quage I think I sam someone with it PEREMNITLY installed on the brute.

Good question. Id like to know also

06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Ok I got brave tonight and took duck's advice on which wires to move and it worked perfectly. I had to read them a few times to make sure I understood perfectly, I didnt want to rush it and screw somthing up.

Thanks a bunch duckaholic1187
Attached Thumbnails
Good Pod Mod instructions needed,09-700 Grizzly-pod-mod1.jpg  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bowren26 For This Useful Post:
09grizzly550 (10-09-2009), benny_64 (06-16-2009), Dirtydeeds (06-14-2010), hardwater (06-25-2010), Jordy145 (04-11-2010), Jstowell2008 (06-04-2010), Snocatfun (02-18-2011), wraider1 (02-23-2011)

CharlieHo is just really niceCharlieHo is just really niceCharlieHo is just really niceCharlieHo is just really niceCharlieHo is just really nice

06-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Well???

How'd it react?

Thanks for the pic, but, we need an AAR!!!
CharlieHo is offlineReport Post

06-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Well its hard to say. Its kinda like when its been a while, then you finally get some, your like "wow this stuff is really good". But.......your not really sure if it actually is better than the last time, all you know is at that moment it feels great.

Kinda the same thing your like "wow this thing has got a lot of power".

Sorry just havn't had enuf time to play with to tell the difference.

Matt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Dyno/Tuning

Search tags for this page
09 grizzly 700 pod mod
2009 grizzly 700 pod mod
2009 yamaha grizzly pod mod
700 grizzly pod mod
grizzly 700 mods

grizzly 700 pod mod

grizzly 700 pod mod instructions

grizzly pod mod

grizzly pod mod instructions
pod mod for grizzly 700
pod mod grizzly 700
podmod
podmod grizzly 700
yamaha grizzly 700 pod mod
yamaha pod mod
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.