Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

AUDIO TUBE construction has begun!

This is a discussion on AUDIO TUBE construction has begun! within the Grizzly Electrical & Lighting forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; If you can please post a couple of pics of how you wire up the pyramid amp. I'm putting together one for a buddy and ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Grizzly Electrical & Lighting Discuss Grizzly electrical and lighting modifications here.

Cheeksł will become famous soon enough

12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
If you can please post a couple of pics of how you wire up the pyramid amp. I'm putting together one for a buddy and using the same amp but cannot get it wired without blowing the inline fuse in the amp or the 15amp terminal fuse.
I built a split tube for myself but used a different amp (Boss 150) and had no problems.
200 Watt Split Audio Tube
Powermadd Guards
Full AP Skids
ODI Rouge Grips
Cheeksł is offlineReport Post
Banned

rsscoggins will become famous soon enough

12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeksł View Post
If you can please post a couple of pics of how you wire up the pyramid amp. I'm putting together one for a buddy and using the same amp but cannot get it wired without blowing the inline fuse in the amp or the 15amp terminal fuse.

I haven't got mine yet but will certainly post up some pics. I downloaded the manual and I guess the only question I would ask is - what are you doing with the orange lead, the one that would go to the head unit if you had one?

Here is a link to a GM website where someone built one with the same amp and used a SPST switch which is what I plan to do as well. Building An Audio Pipe For My Atv - GM-Trucks.com. If you register you can see the pics and there is a wiring diagram there - I register even though I have a DODGE!!
rsscoggins is offlineReport Post

12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
On the Boss amp in my own tube you just use a short piece of wire as a jumper between the hot post and the remote to simulate a head unit powering up... that was simple. I have tried it that way on the pyramid and every other way I can think of to no avail.
Powermadd Guards
Full AP Skids
ODI Rouge Grips

Last edited by Cheeksł; 12-20-2009 at 05:08 PM..

xdriver is on a distinguished road
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Keep up the good work.. I can't wait to see it finished..
xdriver is offlineReport Post
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

12-22-2009, 06:01 AM
I can say this from when I built mine. Don`t glue both 90`s glue 1 and silicone the other in case you have to take it a part.

Cheeks maybe your amp is bad ?? should be wired just like the boss 150.

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post
Banned

12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Well I have everything except my speakers - I don't hold hope that they will arrive before Christmas.

I mounted the amp - I tried to use some of the PVC and some plywood to mounte it but it ended up being much more complicated than it was worth so I simply cut a 2x4 to 11 inches, mounted the amp to the 2x4, and used deck screws from underneath to secure it. I wired up the amp to the on/off switch and mounted the switch along with the Jensen JPort (actually a Poly Planar IC-3.5 connector POLY-PLANAR IC-3.5PM MP3 ADAPTER - PARTS - BestBoatingDeals: Boat Parts, Tools, and Accessories because it is black whereas the Jensen JPort is white).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeksł View Post
I built a split tube for myself but used a different amp (Boss 150) and had no problems.
Cheeks, I wired up the amp to the on/off switch (amp ground to power supply ground, amp red and pwer supply red to post on the switch, amp orange to other post on switch) and plugged it into the power source and everything worked. I used some old surround sound speakers to test and I have sound with no blown fuses. I would agree that your amp is bad or else your ground is bad.

Since everything worked, I went ahead and put the 2nd elbow on with silicone and now all I need is the spreakers to call it done!! I will post some more pics tomorrow....

12-23-2009, 11:55 PM
I have already sent the amp back and the replacement is supposed to be here tomorrow. Hopefully this weekend I will have this completed.
Powermadd Guards
Full AP Skids
ODI Rouge Grips

12-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Amp arrived yesterday morning and I got to work on it in the afternoon. Original was bad because when I hooked this one up nothing blows and everthing works perfect.

I already had the pipe and fittings glued together painted and ready to assemble when I found out that messed up big time and made them way too short!

Called the nearest Lowes (20 miles away) and found out it was open till 6:00pm so at 5:10pm I head out to get new fittings (already have a bunch of pipe cut and ready).
Got everything reassembled and wired up now. Sounds better than the one I built for myself so now I'm jealous of the guy I'm building it for........lol!

Anyway heres a quick little video of how the look and sound. Their split tubes if you can't see the video well enough. I took it with a digital camara so the quality is rough.

<object height="364" width="445">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/onEqaUgbkQY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="364" width="445"></object>
Powermadd Guards
Full AP Skids
ODI Rouge Grips
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

12-25-2009, 07:44 AM
The split tube sounds better because you don`t have the speakers working against each other. But you also don`t have the air flow across the amp that a single pipe design has. On my tube I could turn the gain up about 2/3 to 3/4 or the speakers started to distort at higher volume. They sounded great wide open before I mounted them. Split tube is would have been cheaper to build because of the cost of the 90`s.

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).

Last edited by Mad Mike; 12-25-2009 at 07:46 AM..
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post
Banned

12-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Cheeks - excellent, glad you got an amp that works!! How do you connect the two split tubes (speaker wire)? I would want to have a quick disconnect or something maybe?

How long are your split tubes? The amp is 10.5 and the speakers have a depth of 1.5 to 2 inches probably (depending on the make). BTW, what speakers are you using?

Seeing how much space my tube takes up on the rack, I would probably build a split tube next time!

Last night when we got back in from the candlelight service at church, my speakers were on the front porch!! Maybe when I am done with all the Christmas festivities this morning, I can get out to the garage and finish my project.

Also, how did you connect the wire to the speakers, did you use the slide on connectors that came with the speakers or are did you solder the wires to the speakers?

Merry Christmas everybody!!

supergrizz05 is on a distinguished road

12-25-2009, 12:26 PM
do you have any of the pvc left? I may be interested in buying 2 feet
supergrizz05 is offlineReport Post
Banned

12-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrizz05 View Post
do you have any of the pvc left? I may be interested in buying 2 feet
Yep I got some - what do you think is fair?

Shipping is what is going to cost - this stuff is bulky and heavy. I will charge you actual shipping cost via my Fedex account.

Let me know....

12-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Cheeks - excellent, glad you got an amp that works!! How do you connect the two split tubes (speaker wire)? I would want to have a quick disconnect or something maybe?
All I did is ran speaker wire between the two tubes wrapped with that rigid wire protector stuff.. I could add a marine grade coupling later if needed.

How long are your split tubes? The amp is 10.5 and the speakers have a depth of 1.5 to 2 inches probably (depending on the make). BTW, what speakers are you using?
I would have to measure how long they are now but the pipe is cut at 14.5" so not much more than that. I won't be making any much shorter than that.

Seeing how much space my tube takes up on the rack, I would probably build a split tube next time!
Which I why I started making split tubes to begin with.

Last night when we got back in from the candlelight service at church, my speakers were on the front porch!! Maybe when I am done with all the Christmas festivities this morning, I can get out to the garage and finish my project.
One hint I found helpful is to leave the final end cap off till everything else is finished, makes it easier to wire everything up and doesn't cost much more time.

Also, how did you connect the wire to the speakers, did you use the slide on connectors that came with the speakers or are did you solder the wires to the speakers?
The speakers I bought didn't come with any thing other than the two speakers so I used some crimp on connectors on the speakers and wire nuts on the wiring to the amp.
Powermadd Guards
Full AP Skids
ODI Rouge Grips
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeksł For This Useful Post:
rsscoggins (12-26-2009)

kidastra is on a distinguished road

12-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Looks and sounds great, I'm going to have to build one of these, I think I even have all the items except for the tubes lying around somewhere in the garage.
kidastra is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to kidastra For This Useful Post:
ralphieboy (08-03-2012)
Banned

12-26-2009, 09:25 PM
DONE!!

Well I finished up everything today. I ended up adding some poly filling that the wife had in her craft cabinet - she won't know it is missing and it helped to isolate the speakers from each other and boosted the bass a little.

I used some nylon straps with snap clips that I bought at Walmart to secure it to the rack - one on each side and one going to the front of the rack and one going to the rear. I think we use the same straps on our rolled up sleeping bags. I also added some rubber isolators/feet that I had laying around the garage - This thing isn't going anywhere! We are headed out for a two day ATV excursion so I will get to try it out on the trail.

Here is a picture of the rubber isolators/feet that I added to keep it from sliding around on the rack. You can also see the battery tender power cord as well. The two screws in the middle are wood screws to secure the 2x4 that the am is mounted to:

Here is a shot of the on/off switch:

Here is a shot of the 3mm iPod connector:

Sitting on the work bench:

Sitting on the rack - notice the rubber isolators sitting on the gun mount plates:

Sitting on the rack -drivers view:

Here are a couple of video clips in one file, just click on the image below and it will open in a new window - there is even some BOOM BOOM BOOM there for AIRWAVE!! This was taken with my digital camera and the iPOD volume was about 1/2.

Last edited by rsscoggins; 12-26-2009 at 10:38 PM..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Search tags for this page

atv audio tube

atv audio tube build
atv audio tube plans
atv audio tubes with lights
atv radio tube
atv speaker tube build
audio tube for atv
homemade atv speaker tube
how to build an atv audio tube
how to build an audio tube
how to build atv audio tube
how to build atv speaker tube
how to build audio tube
how to make atv speaker tube
hto to build a atv audio tube
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.