Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Newbie - No electric start?

This is a discussion on Newbie - No electric start? within the Grizzly Electrical & Lighting forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I apologize ahead of time as I'm a newbie when working on these things. I worked my way through rebuilding a carb but electrical issues ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Grizzly Electrical & Lighting Discuss Grizzly electrical and lighting modifications here.

Lightscout is on a distinguished road
12-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Angry Newbie - No electric start?

I apologize ahead of time as I'm a newbie when working on these things. I worked my way through rebuilding a carb but electrical issues are beyond my knowledge.

I have a 99 Grizzly 600 and the electric start doesn't work. Pull start works but hard as hell. Anyway, when the problem first started I could "feel" clicking in the starter relay. Looking on here I tried the screwdriver trick to bridge between the relay terminals and still no start. What I am getting is a loud "click" coming from the relays under the seat. Almost sounds like a circuit breaker where it trips when I hit the button then a few seconds later it resets.

I've followed the wire harness and didn't see anything rubbed bare. The fuses appear to be fine. With a huge storm approaching the Midwest, I'd like to figure out what the deal is.

Once I can get it to start then I have to fight with the winch not working. Not sure if it's related to my electrical issues or the switch or what...

Thanks
Lightscout is offlineReport Post

12-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I did take the battery down to Batteries Plus and they said it was in great shape. I'm taking their word for it b/c if it was even a hair past being good, they would have tried to sell me a new one. Not a dumb question, I should have stated that in the post.

Wemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant future

12-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Disconnect the winch from the electrical system first to eliminate that as a possible contributing factor.
Wemac is offlineReport Post

12-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Roger that. Done, still same issue occuring.

12-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Doing more reading and talking to a motorsports shop. If my contactor is mounted in the rear and completely dead, could that be shorting out my whole electrical system causing the push-button start to not work? I haven't had this ATV long enough to know the history behind it ie. if the contactor was subjected to water...

GrizzGrizz will become famous soon enough
12-23-2009, 06:51 PM
If you've got a short somewhere you could be draining your battery between rides or not allowing it to get a full charge. My family has two quads that sit a month at a time in the cold (at a cabin). Usually when I go up there, one of them will give me that "clicking" sound. I use a pair of jumper cables from the truck, or another quad, hooked up to the battery of the "dead" quad, and this always gets the starter going. Try and jump it and see what happens.
GrizzGrizz is offlineReport Post
I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2009, 07:37 PM
When I had a starting issue on my 2000 Kodiak, I was getting clicking sounds. It was actually my solenoid for my winch which was clicking and it was hooked up wrong...

Just a thought.
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

~Muckboy is offlineReport Post

silverslinger will become famous soon enough

12-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Welcome to GC. hope you find all the information on your grizz you need here. ENjoy your new ride
3500 Warn winch
Strobes
silverslinger is offlineReport Post

grizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the rough

12-29-2009, 11:12 AM
i am surprised that no one has asked him what his headlights do when he tries to start it.
grizzlymark is offlineReport Post

vamped350griz has a spectacular aura aboutvamped350griz has a spectacular aura about

12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Try tapping on the starter with a small hammer or something while you are pushing the start button. Sometimes the brushes inside the starter can get a little corroded and the tapping can free them up............... happens on my mud truck all the time
homemade exhaust tip
27" vampires
Fully snorkeled

Red 01 Toyota Tundra 4x4
Cold Air Intake
True Dual Flowmaster super 44s
35x12.50x17 BFGs on custom painted procomp rims
3" Lift in the front
vamped350griz is offlineReport Post

12-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I didn't try the tap method but have done that on trucks in the past. I pulled the starter a few nights ago and we're going to tear it apart tonight. Thanks for the help everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Search tags for this page
atv doesn't start

atv electric start clicking

atv electric start problems
electric start doesnt work atv
electric start yamaha atv
electric starter not working on quad
how to start a automatic fourwheeler when push button doesn't work!
raptor electric start doesn't do anything
yahama grizzly 600 doesn't do anything when starter is pushed
yamaha atv electric start wont work
yamaha grizzly 350 electric start wont work
yamaha kodiak electric start problems
yamaha wolverine starter relay clicks
yamaha wolverine to electric start
yamaha wolverine wont electric start
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.