Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

HID wiring

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dhmr 
#1 ·
I bought the Jet Off Road 6000K HID kit for my 08 Griz. I got the standard ballasts as they are supposed to be more reliable than the slim version, made of metal and of very good quality. Looking at all these connectors I got to thinking that it is overly complex.......I like things simple. Has anyone bypassed the 'loop' and just cut and soldered the wires directly? Doing so would eliminate the possibility to go back to standard lamps but with a lot less wiring. Once you go HID does anyone go back? Any preferred locations to mount those ballasts?

#3 ·
I bought the Jet Off Road 6000K HID kit for my 08 Griz. I got the standard ballasts as they are supposed to be more reliable than the slim version, made of metal and of very good quality. Looking at all these connectors I got to thinking that it is overly complex.......I like things simple. Has anyone bypassed the 'loop' and just cut and soldered the wires directly? Doing so would eliminate the possibility to go back to standard lamps but with a lot less wiring. Once you go HID does anyone go back? Any preferred locations to mount those ballasts?
If you bought the ones for the grizzly there is 1 wire connection you dont use. someone has a diagram on here showing what to do.

#4 ·
I've got the Jetoffroad kit too and should be plug & play. I mounted my slim ballast on top of the battery bracket - 08 Grizzly 700.

What I did is:
Insert bulb in headlight housing and route wires without cutting/soldering anything
snapped the 2 connectors together - only fits one way
tie wrapped ballests/igniters to battery bracket
project took me about 1/2 hour

Not sure what you mean to bypass the loop but I have used this configuration for the past year without soldering connections and works great everytime.

Hope this helps you

#5 · (Edited)
ballasts...

throw away the wire that is on the right side with the white tip...

finished product...

I also put dielectric grease inside the connector where the 2 prongs go before i put them in to make sure no water gets in. Just make sure to seal up all of the rubber and plastic behind the headlight.I didnt seal it up well enough the first time and ended up getting a bunch of mud and water inside of my headlight...thankfully it still works fine (knock on wood)

#6 ·
I was looking to eliminate the plug n play part of it and splice wires, eliminating the loop around. I neurotically like things simple.

Old bulb wires soldered to ballast plug > ballast > HID plugs > light

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, if anyone has undone their HID installations, or a reason to keep the old bulb wiring intact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.