Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

warn winch wont work...help?

This is a discussion on warn winch wont work...help? within the Grizzly Electrical & Lighting forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; when i came home from work (offshore) i discovered that my winch didnt work wich sucked because i had winched it to the trailer when ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Grizzly Electrical & Lighting Discuss Grizzly electrical and lighting modifications here.

700CAMOGRIZZ is on a distinguished road

10-16-2007, 05:30 PM
when i came home from work (offshore) i discovered that my winch didnt work wich sucked because i had winched it to the trailer when my strap broke. i did get it off the trailer but the winch, a warn 2500 the promo that yamaha offered will do nothing but click when you push the button in either direction and i cant get it into freespool. anybody have any ideas or should i just break down and get a new one?
Fps Clutch Kit
2" Extreme Lift
700CAMOGRIZZ is offlineReport Post

onrope has a spectacular aura aboutonrope has a spectacular aura about

10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Try feeding it our while tapping on the case with a plastic hammer. Also check and make sure you have 12 VDC from the contact relay to the winch terminals. If not you may have a bad contact. Those winches are extremely easy to service. You can pull it apart an clean it up and it will probably work again.
onrope is offlineReport Post

grizzled has a spectacular aura aboutgrizzled has a spectacular aura aboutgrizzled has a spectacular aura about

10-16-2007, 06:58 PM
What is making the clicking sound...the winch itself? Does it sound like the gears aren't meshing together? I believe that particular winch has plastic gears...wondering if a gear got damaged when you were using it as a tie down. I'd just take the casing off of it and take a look. Let us know what you find out.
grizzled is offlineReport Post

DirtySecret is on a distinguished road

10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, for one no winch is really meant to be used like that. People do it all the time, but they are also usually the first to mess up thier pawls. I dont remember these being plastic geared like many state (tore mine down when I first got it to add synthetic grease/etc). If its "clicking" I would guess its the solenoid, but if its a rather loud "click" I'd guess the pawl broke or got jammed. What kind of click?
Click, clack, clunk, or a chitty chitty bang bang?
Have you tried taking it in/letting it out while fiddling with the solenoid wires? One might simply be loose (really common), and add some dielectric grease while youre at it.
DirtySecret is offlineReport Post

GreenGrizzRider is just really niceGreenGrizzRider is just really niceGreenGrizzRider is just really niceGreenGrizzRider is just really niceGreenGrizzRider is just really nice

10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
I know on my winch when I would use the free spool knob sometimes when you would turn it back to engaged it would make a clicking sound. Then you had to mess with the knob(Turn back and forth)a little and it would start to work. Finally it went completely out. So I took it apart and found the gear that slides back and forth to engage and disengage was striped. Me being a cheap ass I flipped the gear over and had to grind a bevel off the other end and then put it back together. Works fine , But I haven't tried the free spool. I'm afraid it might not work.
GreenGrizzRider is offlineReport Post

10-19-2007, 11:23 AM
thanks for the info guys i guess i will just have to tear it apart. it is a loud click i figured something is probably jammed. what winch would you reccomend i was looking at the venom. green grizz i had the same problem when trying to switch between engage and freespool now it will not go into freespool period.
Fps Clutch Kit
2" Extreme Lift

Hebs is a jewel in the roughHebs is a jewel in the roughHebs is a jewel in the roughHebs is a jewel in the rough

10-19-2007, 01:54 PM
all brands of winches seem to have problems...

I haven't been able to engage my free wheel ever since it's first trip thru the mud...
Hebs is offlineReport Post

GreenGrizzRider is just really niceGreenGrizzRider is just really niceGreenGrizzRider is just really niceGreenGrizzRider is just really niceGreenGrizzRider is just really nice

10-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Thats better then what happened to mine. On my winch I had about 20 ft of cable pulled out with the free spool, Then it would not go back in. It just made a clicking noise.
GreenGrizzRider is offlineReport Post

camogrizz51 is on a distinguished road
10-20-2007, 01:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreenGrizzRider @ Oct 19 2007, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Thats better then what happened to mine. On my winch I had about 20 ft of cable pulled out with the free spool, Then it would not go back in. It just made a clicking noise.[/b]
that happened to mine too, about the second time i used it. Ijustbrolled the cable back on my rack and brought it to the dealer. They took it off and warn fixed it under warranty, at no charge.
camogrizz51 is offlineReport Post

10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
thanks onrope that worked like a charm 5 or 6 taps and she was working like new again. now i got to get the synthetic rope.
Fps Clutch Kit
2" Extreme Lift

punisher660 is on a distinguished road
01-10-2008, 12:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (700CAMOGRIZZ @ October 21, 2007, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
thanks onrope that worked like a charm 5 or 6 taps and she was working like new again. now i got to get the synthetic rope.[/b]

I know this is an old post, but the clicking you hear is the cylanoid (spelling) - anyhow..... its the wires comming loose from the winch itself. Make sure to tighten the connections and you will find it works like a charm. The 5 or 6 taps was probably enough movement to get a good contact, but its not the problem.

Double check your connections and that will "fix" the problem.
punisher660 is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Search tags for this page

atv winch clicking

atv winch just clicks

gears wont turn on camper winch

my warn winch just clicks

my winch wont work

rzr winch wont work just clicks

solenoid clicks but winch wont turn

warn atv winch wont work

warn winch clicking noise

warn winch clicks but does not work

warn winch does not work

warn winch just clicks

warn winch relay clicking

warn winch up down switch not working

why wont my warn winch work
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.