Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

help with wiring lights

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  adamsmith007 
#1 ·
I am trying to figure out how to wire a fuse block and relay to run some aftermarket lights so they only come on when the key is turned on. I was reading a thread where a guy showed how to do it, i just got lost trying to figure out where two wires go.

Off of the relay, where do i attach the green wire (#1)? And does my fuse block run off of #5 where it says accessories?

Not sure if this is needed, but i thought it might be useful to know i have a winch and to know how it is wired. Two wires come from the winch (yellow and blue) and go to some black box attached near the rear of my grizz above the rear tire which also have positive and negative coming from the battery. The winch switch also runs to this black box. My winch only comes on when the key is on.
[/IMG]

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
According to that diagram, #5 is the wire that will power your lights and #1 would hook to a keyed power source, such as the hot wire going to your accessory plug or any other keyed source you want to use.

That diagram doesn't show an on/off switch for the lights, so as soon as you turn the key on, the lights will come on. You will need to add an on/off switch if you want to be able to turn the lights off without turning the key off.

#4 · (Edited)
If im not mistaken, my on off switch will run from the fuse block.
Yes, you can do it that way, if you're adding a fuse block. I guess I didn't read close enough.

My question is what "hot" wire or "key on only" wire do i tap into, and where is it located?
I would just splice into the hot wire going to the accessory plug on the fender. The wire you're running to the relay is just the trigger wire for the relay, so it won't pull any power to amount to anything. Just find the wires going to the plug, turn the key on and use a test light to find the hot wire. I believe it has a pink wire and a brown wire running to it. The pink wire is the hot wire and the brown wire is the ground wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.