Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Winch power switch

This is a discussion on Winch power switch within the Grizzly Electrical & Lighting forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I just bought and installed a Harbor Freight 3000lb wireless remote winch. It is designed to hook directly to the battery (only two wires). I ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Grizzly Electrical & Lighting Discuss Grizzly electrical and lighting modifications here.

KING OF BEERS is on a distinguished road
01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Winch power switch

I just bought and installed a Harbor Freight 3000lb wireless remote winch. It is designed to hook directly to the battery (only two wires). I do not want it to be on all the time.

I know I could install a relay and have the winch come on when the Quad is turned on but I would rather have manual control of when the winch has power. I donít want to do any butt winching.

I believe I read that a 3000lb winch operating at full capacity draws ~160 amps.

I need a heavy duty switch with low resistance. Any ideas on where one might procure something suitable?

Who has their winch set up this way, what kind of switch are you using, and where did you get it from?

I appreciate any help.
KING OF BEERS is offlineReport Post

gcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to behold

01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Maybe look into one of the switches they have that goes inline with the cable...

Search for battery disconnect switch...lots of HF stuff comes up.

they're all designed to disconnect the battery, either for safety or to leave a vehicle for a long while to eliminate parasitic draw.

Likely have no trouble with 160A...since they're in series in the cable..

Also I see HP also has ones that the 'key' completes the circuit. Could just keep the key with you and pop it in when you need to winch..

2010 Brute Force 650 4x4i - Smokey Blue
1998 Grizzly 600 - Blue Smoke
gcfishguy is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to gcfishguy For This Useful Post:
KING OF BEERS (01-27-2011)

UpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I didn't come with a contactor? All winches come with a contactor setup. The Contactor is the switch that energizes / de-energizes the winch motor. Your winch motor is NOT continiously energized or it would be operating. The contactor determines to whether to reverses the DC to make the winch go in or out depending on what you select on the switch. Since yours is wireless, I suspect your contactor receives the signal from your remote.
Ricochet Skid Plates & Rock Sliders
Superwinch ATV2300 w/Amsteel Blue
Mad Mike Clutch Mods 2 & 3 w/orange 2ndary spring
Plano Rear Box
Rotopax Fuel Pack
Tomahawk Front Bumber w/Rigid D2's

2009 Rhino 700 Black Special Edition
27in Sedona Rip Saw on ITP Black SS108 Wheels
Viper Max 4000 w/Amsteel Blue
Yoshimura RS-8 Muffler, K&N Filter, EZ Steer Power Steering
J Strong Roof w/lights & stereo
J Strong Full Windshield
J Strong Front & Rear Bumpers
J Strong Dual Battery Isolator

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population.

Last edited by UpstateNYGrizz; 01-27-2011 at 02:19 PM..
UpstateNYGrizz is offlineReport Post

01-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfishguy View Post
Maybe look into one of the switches they have that goes inline with the cable...

Search for battery disconnect switch...lots of HF stuff comes up.

they're all designed to disconnect the battery, either for safety or to leave a vehicle for a long while to eliminate parasitic draw.

Likely have no trouble with 160A...since they're in series in the cable..

Also I see HP also has ones that the 'key' completes the circuit. Could just keep the key with you and pop it in when you need to winch..

I will look into the battery disconnect switches. This sounds like just the thing. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNYGrizz View Post
I didn't come with a contactor? All winches come with a contactor setup. The Contactor is the switch that energizes / de-energizes the winch motor. Your winch motor is NOT continiously energized or it would be operating. The contactor determines to whether to reverses the DC to make the winch go in or out depending on what you select on the switch. Since yours is wireless, I suspect your contactor receives the signal from your remote.
Well of course it does not run all of the time, but it is wireless. This means that the winch is constantly drawing power from the battery in order to power the reciever that recieves the signal from the remote.

UpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
You may want to splice a relay into the reciever circuit that is controlled by your main key switch. Now your looking at going into your contactor unless you have additional terminals on your contactor for your reciever.
Ricochet Skid Plates & Rock Sliders
Superwinch ATV2300 w/Amsteel Blue
Mad Mike Clutch Mods 2 & 3 w/orange 2ndary spring
Plano Rear Box
Rotopax Fuel Pack
Tomahawk Front Bumber w/Rigid D2's

2009 Rhino 700 Black Special Edition
27in Sedona Rip Saw on ITP Black SS108 Wheels
Viper Max 4000 w/Amsteel Blue
Yoshimura RS-8 Muffler, K&N Filter, EZ Steer Power Steering
J Strong Roof w/lights & stereo
J Strong Full Windshield
J Strong Front & Rear Bumpers
J Strong Dual Battery Isolator

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population.
UpstateNYGrizz is offlineReport Post

gcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to behold

01-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Okay, I think I understand what's going on... does the winch have the contactor/solenoid mounted right on the winch motor?

Likely....

usually they're seperate, and have big wires and also small feed wires going to them.

I'm going to say that you'll need to take the solenoid cover off, and see where the positive feed is from the battery, and look where that cable attaches to the post with the nut.
I'd guess that there's also a small wire attached to that post....that would be the wire that would normally be fed by something that's only hot when the ignition is turned ON. In this case, because of the design of the winch, they just pull power for the 'switching' circuit from something that's hot all the time.

If this little wire exists, unhook it. Hook the big cable back up, and the winch likely will only work if you touch that little wire back to the terminal it was attached to. IF SO.....then you can find an ignition wire, and use IT to power the small wire, rather than it being powered all the time....

If you're not kinda-sorta sure what I'm saying, don;t start jumpering your winch wires and burn something up....

2010 Brute Force 650 4x4i - Smokey Blue
1998 Grizzly 600 - Blue Smoke
gcfishguy is offlineReport Post

01-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfishguy View Post
Okay, I think I understand what's going on... does the winch have the contactor/solenoid mounted right on the winch motor?

Likely....

usually they're seperate, and have big wires and also small feed wires going to them.

I'm going to say that you'll need to take the solenoid cover off, and see where the positive feed is from the battery, and look where that cable attaches to the post with the nut.
I'd guess that there's also a small wire attached to that post....that would be the wire that would normally be fed by something that's only hot when the ignition is turned ON. In this case, because of the design of the winch, they just pull power for the 'switching' circuit from something that's hot all the time.

If this little wire exists, unhook it. Hook the big cable back up, and the winch likely will only work if you touch that little wire back to the terminal it was attached to. IF SO.....then you can find an ignition wire, and use IT to power the small wire, rather than it being powered all the time....

If you're not kinda-sorta sure what I'm saying, don;t start jumpering your winch wires and burn something up....

I get what you are saying. However I do not want to wire the winch into the key on the quad. I just want to install a simple switch in the + power wire so I can switch it on and off as needed.

The remote is a key fob, not unlike the door unlock fob that comes with some cars. It will stay in my pocket and I do not want any accidental activation of the winch causing bending, breaking of racks/plastics, and/or burning up of winch motors.

I think the battery disconnect switch is what I want. I did not know where to get one.

JNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to behold

01-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Get a standard 4 post selenoid. You have the big power cables running in one side and out the other side. You have two small terminals for low voltage wire.

Start with your power source. Most recommend something energized when you turn the key on. You decide. Connect your wire to it. Run the wire to a low voltage switch on your dash. From the low voltage switch run a wire to the standard selenoid I described above. The second small wire terminal on the selenoid goes to ground.

By doing this your winch will only be powered by when two events happen. You turn your key on and the low voltage switch is in the on position.

Jeff
B-Line Control Suspension, Penland Exhaust, Power Commander III Fuel Optimizer, Dynatek CDI Controller, EPI Clutch kit, Rath Racing Front Sway Bar, EHS Air Box Mod, Thumb/Grip/Seat Warmers, Horn, Bottle holder, Grip Donuts, Warn 3k with remote and synthetic wire, Moose Hand Guards, Mud lights/ATR's/Outlaw Tires, ITP Rims, Tamarack Trunk, Fuel Pak, ATV Rocks Skid Plates, 2r Foot Pegs and Rails.

Red = Provided above and beyond support
JNelson is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to JNelson For This Useful Post:
KING OF BEERS (01-28-2011)

01-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNelson View Post
Get a standard 4 post selenoid. You have the big power cables running in one side and out the other side. You have two small terminals for low voltage wire.

Start with your power source. Most recommend something energized when you turn the key on. You decide. Connect your wire to it. Run the wire to a low voltage switch on your dash. From the low voltage switch run a wire to the standard selenoid I described above. The second small wire terminal on the selenoid goes to ground.

By doing this your winch will only be powered by when two events happen. You turn your key on and the low voltage switch is in the on position.

Jeff
Thanks this is another good option.

Now that I have some ideas I will go the Autoparts Store and see what looks good and compare prices.

Thanks for the help GC!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Search tags for this page

2000 grizzly ignition switch wire for winch

atv wench power switch
converteing harbor freight camo winch to wired
grizzly control wire
harbor freight 3000 camo winch
harbor freight winch how to hook up a rocker switch

harbor freight wireless winch control wiring

hook up remote winch to switch

how to install a manual switch on a 3000 lb winch?

how to install pro mark thumb rocker switch grizzly 660

how to run the wires for a winch on a grizzly 700 atv

installing electric power switch for winch

power winch switch

wiring a grizley power switch
wiring diagrams to hook up a winch what to so annoyed
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.