Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Connecting Warn Rocker Switch

This is a discussion on Connecting Warn Rocker Switch within the Grizzly Electrical & Lighting forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I need to splice a red wire from a rocker switch to one of the 3 wires coming off the key switch. There are three: ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Grizzly Electrical & Lighting Discuss Grizzly electrical and lighting modifications here.

docglove is on a distinguished road

02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Connecting Warn Rocker Switch

I need to splice a red wire from a rocker switch to one of the 3 wires coming off the key switch. There are three: 1 is red and I know that's the hot wire; the other 2 are tan, one solid and other has a blue stripe, which one of the tan wires is the correct one to splice to so winch only works when key is on?

Sorry if this question has been ask a million times! I am new to this forum as of just now and I really need to get the wiring done before my wife gets home in an hour.

2004 Grizzly 660 / installing Warn XT25 Winch

Thanks!
docglove is offlineReport Post

02-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Answer to own question

I have read threads sort of pertaining to this issue and no one really seemed to answer the question that several had regarding which of the three wires from the key switch do we connect to to activate an accessory when the key is turned on, but here is the correct answer:

2004 Grizzly 660 (4x4)

Wires from the key switch consist of one red, one brown, and one brown with a blue stripe.

The red wire is constant hot wire, so if you want your accessory (winch) to operate whether the key is turn on or not, then use the red.

If you want your accessory to be activated only when the key is turned on use the solid brown wire.

I am not sure what the brown wire with blue stripe is, maybe a ground or a neutral?

Anyway, there you have it! I just hooked up my Warn XT25 winch and it's good to go as long as the key is turned on.

awames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of light

02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
mine are hooked up to the acc plug in the fender
china 49cc 4 wheeler for son 9 yr old]
electric 4 wheeler for son [5 yr old]
payed $50 for a non runner needs carb, cable, throttle to run
nothing for my daughter yet [2 yr old]

just added a 1.1mm shim $.48

Green Grizzly Owners Club #2
awames76 is offlineReport Post

jdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant futurejdubcee has a brilliant future

02-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Well I guess he didn't get his answer before the wife got home. He might be getting his azz kicked right now for having that damn atv in the house working on it. LOL.
Pelican case
Yamaha HD front bumper
Moose rear bumper
Moose 387x black wheels
26" OG Bighorns
AP Skid Plates

Green Grizzly Owners Club Agent 0
jdubcee is offlineReport Post

02-10-2011, 07:04 AM
No, I didn't make it before the wife got home, but was able to get all of my parts and the oil stain off the carpet before she got home to avoid a butt whoop'n lol.

I have a Moose snow plow with the motor attached to the front of the plow, which busted last week when I was trying to push that rock hard snow & ice that caused the plow to push upward smashing the motor against the front bumper snapping that cheap cast iron housing in half. But the bright side of that incident is that I was able to finally get a nice winch!! :) Anyway, I had the wiring for that plow motor attached to the red wire on key switch that of course worked whether key was turned or not. I prefer having the key on as I do now for the winch.

This is an awesome sight! I just joined yesterday and never knew this existed. I'm looking forward to reading the other forums as soon as I have time, especially about places to ride, which I assume there's a forum discussing riding places/experiences.

WingNut is a name known to allWingNut is a name known to allWingNut is a name known to allWingNut is a name known to allWingNut is a name known to allWingNut is a name known to all

02-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Simply get one of those cheap tester lights with a sharp point at one end, and ground clamp at the other end.
test the wires with key off, then retest them with key on.
shouldn't be hard.
P.S. : sounds like you need a garage, before you end up divorced.

I've got grease on so many things around the house over the years, I'm amazed the wife kept me alive this long.
WingNut is offlineReport Post

kstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond reputekstateskier has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Four wheeler in the living room where its warm!!!?! HMMMM I never thought of that! Whats the chances my 350 fits in the rear sliding door?
kstateskier is offlineReport Post

02-11-2011, 08:02 AM
I will have to invest in one of those testing lights since they are so cheap. I didn't have one before because I know I will probably never need or use it again, which is why I posted the question on this website.

I would never bring parts in the house like that for real or my wife would beat me lol. I do have a large garage, but they are never ever large enough are they. Having a heater in the garage makes it really nice, especially this time of the year. If my wife and I weren't planning on relocating in a couple of years I would have another garage/building built.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Search tags for this page
atv winch switch which wire to acc
diagram of rocker switch hook up for superwinch 2000 winch
hooking up mini toggle to atv winch

how to connect a thumb rocker switch on a warn wench

how to hook up winch rocker switch

how to wire a rocker switch for a warn winch

how to wire atv lights with a rocker switch
installing a rocker switch warn winch

warn atv mini rocker switch wiring diagram

warn mini rocker wiring diagram

where do the wires hook up at on a mini rocker in out switch on a warn winch atv

where to hook up hot wire for warn winch atv rocker switch

where to splice warn winch switch on grizzly
winch wiring switch splice issue
wiring diagrm for thumb switch on atv winch
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.