Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Heated Hand grips (wiring)

This is a discussion on Heated Hand grips (wiring) within the Grizzly Electrical & Lighting forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I have a 2007 Grizzly 450 and I purchased a set of Moose heated grips with thumb warmer. My question is I would like to ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Grizzly Electrical & Lighting Discuss Grizzly electrical and lighting modifications here.

realdeal176 is on a distinguished road
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I have a 2007 Grizzly 450 and I purchased a set of Moose heated grips with thumb warmer. My question is I would like to use my accessory plug to wire these in buy I am using that power supply for my winch can I hook both up to this power source and be able to us both at the same time or will I blow a fuse.
realdeal176 is offlineReport Post

kromwell is on a distinguished road

01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (realdeal176 @ January 2, 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I have a 2007 Grizzly 450 and I purchased a set of Moose heated grips with thumb warmer. My question is I would like to use my accessory plug to wire these in buy I am using that power supply for my winch can I hook both up to this power source and be able to us both at the same time or will I blow a fuse.[/b]
I'm not too sure how the 450 is set up, but wouldn't it actually be a little easier to just wire directly to the battery, then hook up a switch somewhere?

Niskibum is a jewel in the roughNiskibum is a jewel in the roughNiskibum is a jewel in the rough
01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kromwell @ January 2, 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I'm not too sure how the 450 is set up, but wouldn't it actually be a little easier to just wire directly to the battery, then hook up a switch somewhere?[/b]

Better to wire to something that can be turned off with the key. If you wire directly to the battery and something goes wrong you have no way to shut it off other than pulling the covers off and yanking wires. It wouldn't be the first atv to go up in flames.
Niskibum is offlineReport Post

Hammer07 is a name known to allHammer07 is a name known to allHammer07 is a name known to allHammer07 is a name known to allHammer07 is a name known to allHammer07 is a name known to all

01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
it will probably blow the fuse if you run the winch and the grips at the same time.
for my winch wiring (will work for any electrical accessory) i went to the fuse box under the seat, found the unfused side of the fuse box (side that has power when the fuse is taken out). once i found that, i backed the terminal out of the connector, soldered my wire onto this wire and then put the terminal back in the fuse box. of course i used an in line fuse just after i got out of the fuse box, but hooking it up this way places no extra load on the existing fuse, but my circuit is still protected and switched with the key. make sure you pick a circuit with a heavy wire because the fuse is designed to burn BEFORE the wire does, pulling to many amps thru the wire itself (since we are BEFORE the fuse) will cause the wire then to be the limiting factor in our circuit and that ALWAYS ends in disaster!
Hammer07 is offlineReport Post

WildWest will become famous soon enough

01-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I plan on splicing into the same wire (accessory plug) I did for my winch to install my grips. Two guys I know w/ 700's have done the same and have had no issues. The 'hot' from the accessory mearly allows the winch to turn on, afterall it is connected to the battery and the accesorry splice is allowing the winch to turn on, nothing is really being drawn from that wire.

I know for a fact one of the two guys runs his winch (with his plow) and heated grips at the same time and hasn't had any issues.

Hammers method sounds great as well

I just need to find the time (or stop procrastinating) and put mine on.

www.northeastatvers.com
Join a club and RIDE!
NEATV-WMATV-MTA-NQATV-MMATV-NDVATV-NHOHVA
WildWest is offlineReport Post

realdeal176 is on a distinguished road
01-03-2009, 02:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildWest @ January 3, 2009, 1:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I plan on splicing into the same wire (accessory plug) I did for my winch to install my grips. Two guys I know w/ 700's have done the same and have had no issues. The 'hot' from the accessory mearly allows the winch to turn on, afterall it is connected to the battery and the accesorry splice is allowing the winch to turn on, nothing is really being drawn from that wire.

I know for a fact one of the two guys runs his winch (with his plow) and heated grips at the same time and hasn't had any issues.

Hammers method sounds great as well

I just need to find the time (or stop procrastinating) and put mine on.[/b]
I wired up my heated grips to my accessory plug which I also have my winch wired to ran the winch and the heated grips on high with no problems.
realdeal176 is offlineReport Post

Bogey is on a distinguished road

01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
I also wired both to the same wire. I plow snow all the time with my heated grips on. Never had a problem.
Bogey is offlineReport Post

FiremanNick is on a distinguished road

01-04-2009, 01:41 PM
When I got my Grizz I knew I would be adding a few electrica goodies, so I spliced off the accessory outlet wire (solder/shrinkwrap) to switch a 30a relay wired directly ot the battery, I then addeda 4 outlet fuse block. I have installed my winch, heated grips and thumb warmer with plans for some lights. It's so much easier now to add accessories having spent some time in the beginning setting it up.
FiremanNick is offlineReport Post

herm is on a distinguished road

01-04-2009, 02:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (realdeal176 @ January 2, 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I have a 2007 Grizzly 450 and I purchased a set of Moose heated grips with thumb warmer. My question is I would like to use my accessory plug to wire these in buy I am using that power supply for my winch can I hook both up to this power source and be able to us both at the same time or will I blow a fuse.[/b]

Kromwell hit nail on the head.U can get a power bar for the + side of the battry & wire each 1 to it's own spot with a inline fuse & the wright wire gage.
If not just think ! Close your eyes & picture those 2 Little 18 gage wires pulling all that current---geting hot---melting together---mabe--- shorting out---maybe---catching fire & you Looking @ all of this & that biger fuse standing proud.
BURNT BIKE (?) GETTING LUCKY & REWIRING (?) (((POWER BAR 10 BUCKS)))

(((NOW OPEN YOUR EYES)))
herm is offlineReport Post

nepagrizzly is on a distinguished road

01-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I added a 6 post fuse block under the seat. I feel its the safest way to hook any elec. accessories up. I had handwarmers and 55 watt lights wired to the ignition with fuses but I just didnt trust it. The fuse block was less than 10 bucks at advanced auto, and very simple to hook up.
nepagrizzly is offlineReport Post

WildWest will become famous soon enough

01-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Well I did like I said..wired my grips to the same place as my winch..not sure if its a problem or coincidence.

I was having problems w/ my winch steel cable, it is frayed/knotted about 20 feet in so it keeps 'stalling' the winch on roll up. So I was continuously using it- kept freespooling and trying to tigthen it back up by winching in and applying pressure. I did this for probably 10 minutes. I finally get it good enough..go plow another 15-20 minutes later the winch doesn't want to go out. Grips seemed to work fine the whole time though..maybe I got the winch rocker 'hot' from using it so much...no fuses blew, wires under the 'hood' were not hot either. I'm hoping coincidence or I just heated it up the rocker switch too much by using it so long when I initially was having problems with the cable.

It did go back out shortly after.

www.northeastatvers.com
Join a club and RIDE!
NEATV-WMATV-MTA-NQATV-MMATV-NDVATV-NHOHVA
WildWest is offlineReport Post

mrimike is on a distinguished road
01-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Would there be any reason not to wire your heated grips to your ignition switch wire?
mrimike is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Electrical & Lighting

Search tags for this page

atv hand warmer wiring diagram

do i need an inline fuse for atv hand warmers
hand warmers that hook up to computer
hook up heated grips

how to do it yourself electriclal wiring for heated grips for atv

how to fix atv heated handgrips that are gooey
how to wire heated grips on atv
kimpex schematic hand and thumb warmer
moose heated hand and thumb wiring diagram
moose heated handgrip switch wiring

wired hand warmers and winch to accesory outlet

wiring hot grips on 2009 suzuki 450 king quad
wiring scematic for hot grips with controler and thumb warmer
yama grizzly 550 wiring heated grips
yamaha snowmobile hand warmer wiring diagram
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.