Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Reservoir Cap Gone....

This is a discussion on Reservoir Cap Gone.... within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Has anyone had their coolant reservoir cap just fall off? lol I rode the Grizz today for a minute, and when I would get on ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

Dave will become famous soon enoughDave will become famous soon enough

09-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Question Reservoir Cap Gone....

Has anyone had their coolant reservoir cap just fall off? lol I rode the Grizz today for a minute, and when I would get on the gas it was a hair slow on accelerating. So i checked the trans and all seemed fine. Then I checked my air box since I cleaned the filter the other day. Everything in the airbox was fine. Upon resecuring the airbox to my snorkel, there it was staring at me. The coolant reservoir was empty and the lid was missing . Anyone ever have this happen?
2500lb Warn Winch
EPI Mudder Clutch
1.5 Shim
Radiator Relocated w/ Custom Shield
Blue Chaser Setup
Replaced Front Plastic Rivets w/ some Chrome Bolts
Chrome Nuts
Ricochet Skids

04 Camo Grizz 660
27" Swamp Lites on ITP 112's
2.5 ci Warn Winch
Oxlite A-arm Guards
Dave is offlineReport Post

HeavyD will become famous soon enoughHeavyD will become famous soon enough

09-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes Dave I have! Riding trails and a few deep creek crossings with a large group. Every time we would stop, I kept smelling anti freeze. I figured the Grizz was running a little warm, as it was 90's and I had a first-timer 5 year old girl on the back, so I was being careful and slow. Sure enough, the burp tank was spewing onto the exhaust. An empty ziplock sandwich bag and some electrical tape plugged the open void, topped off with some drinking water, and rode the rest of the day. Replaced coolant with engine ice that week, and have NO idea where the cap went.
Blue 2007 Grizzly 700 EPS, hotgrips, Supertrapp ISDX, HMF Optimizer, K&N, Engine Ice, 1.5mm shim, Warn 2.5, cycle country plow, Mad Dog rack bag, 26" Bighorns, 12" ITP C-series 7 black. Axe/shovel/bucket mount.

Last edited by HeavyD; 09-14-2009 at 11:47 PM..
HeavyD is offlineReport Post

Grizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond repute

09-14-2009, 11:41 PM
I didnt loose mine, but it was loosely on, and the coolant inside of the bottle looked dirty. I found this while i was replacing my front fender, so i did a real good flush of the system and replaced with engine ice. No problems, i just flushed it a bunch of times with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and vinegar to get rid of contaminants.
08' Grizzly 700 EPS: US Yamaha front brushguard, Full ricochet skids, 3.5" Rox risers, solex bars, odi grips, rox handguards, 27" Maxxis zillas, Tamarack Classic box, Viper 3k winch, 2r tip, 2r foot pegs and traction rails, 2r front receiver, uni filter, pod mod, hanger mod, greasless, Rigid D2s, Rigid 10" SR

2013 Can Am Renegade 1000 XXC

Lots o' mods
Grizzrider08 is offlineReport Post

Dave will become famous soon enoughDave will become famous soon enough

09-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys. Thought it was very unusual. Looks like I'm gonna need to flush the radiator again. I'm going to get me a couple spare caps when I go to the dealership later.
2500lb Warn Winch
EPI Mudder Clutch
1.5 Shim
Radiator Relocated w/ Custom Shield
Blue Chaser Setup
Replaced Front Plastic Rivets w/ some Chrome Bolts
Chrome Nuts
Ricochet Skids

04 Camo Grizz 660
27" Swamp Lites on ITP 112's
2.5 ci Warn Winch
Oxlite A-arm Guards
Dave is offlineReport Post

HeavyD will become famous soon enoughHeavyD will become famous soon enough

09-16-2009, 12:00 AM
I found it odd, because when I installed the replacement cap it seemed to fit pretty snug. Not sure what would have caused it to bail.
Blue 2007 Grizzly 700 EPS, hotgrips, Supertrapp ISDX, HMF Optimizer, K&N, Engine Ice, 1.5mm shim, Warn 2.5, cycle country plow, Mad Dog rack bag, 26" Bighorns, 12" ITP C-series 7 black. Axe/shovel/bucket mount.
HeavyD is offlineReport Post

keeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond repute

09-16-2009, 12:10 AM
same here i kept smelling antifreeze and found cap missing. replaced and new cap seemed to be fit snug.
keeter is offlineReport Post

DizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant future

09-16-2009, 12:18 AM
If I had to guess, I'd bet the wayward caps fractured. Plastic can do that sometimes (small defect, drying out, just felt like it). Once the cap split, punching out was easy.
DizGrizz is offlineReport Post

JANNEYJR is on a distinguished road
04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
The same thing happened to me! I was riding through some mud bogs at Rock Run ATV park and noticed the smell of antifreeze from time to time. Didn't think to much about it. Got home and gave the wheeler a thorough cleaning and look over and found my overflow cap missing also. I'm assuming I can get a replacement cap at a Yamaha dealer?! Thanks for posting this, I thought it was only me!!
JANNEYJR is offlineReport Post

GrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzNasty has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2012, 09:22 PM
sucks yamaha had such a bad idea with those caps and the dipstick. the reservoir cap is probably made like that to give pressure somewhere to go... but there are better ways to do it.
28x10 SwampLawz
Gold Secondary
2mm shim
Stalld
Rad Racked
Snorks
Rhinos
etc

SOLD

Tweeked Slick60

- mileanhour.com
GrizzNasty is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
07 raptor 700 radiator reservoir cap

2005 grizzly coolant overflow bottle cap

2006-yamaha raptor 700 coolant tank reservoir cap
2007 raptor 700 coolant reservoir cap
2009 yamaha raptor 700 coolant over flow tank
2012 grizzly 450 coolant overflow cap

grizzly 660 coolant cap

grizzly 660 coolant reservoir cap

grizzly 700 coolant reservoir cap

raptor 700 coolant reservoir cap

yamaha 700 grizzly coolant recovery cap
yamaha coolant reservoir cap replacement
yamaha grizzly 660 coolant reservoir
yamaha grizzly 660 water reservoir cap
yamaha raptor coolant reservoir cap
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.