Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Grizzly 660 Starting Problems - 2002

This is a discussion on Grizzly 660 Starting Problems - 2002 within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I have a 2002 Grizzly 660 that is having trouble starting. Basically, I can turn the motor over just fine with the choke on full. ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

gallegd is on a distinguished road
12-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Angry Grizzly 660 Starting Problems - 2002

I have a 2002 Grizzly 660 that is having trouble starting. Basically, I can turn the motor over just fine with the choke on full. Sometimes it will turn over right away but most of the time I have to remove the air box cover AND the filter in order for it to start. After I do this once it seems to start just fine. I have cleaned the filter and made sure it was free of any containments however I cannot seem to figure out why this keeps happening.

I bought this machine used about 3 months ago so I do not know the full history of it. Outside of this problem the machine works great. I have cleaned and gapped the spark plug, added fuel stabilizer, and checked the rest of the fluids. Also, I added a new battery because I wasn't sure how old or if the older one was up to par.

I read another post in this forum that talked about the needle recall. Is there a possibility that this problem is related to that? Also, where does Yamaha usually stamp the VIN at? Rear left frame? Under shift lever?

Please give me any ideas that you may have. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Thanks again,
gallegd
gallegd is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,120 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
There is no recall on that needle, they just changed the material it's made from and they STICK sometimes also. You'll get a blank look from the dealer if you mention recall.
Part of owning a 660 is taking the carb apart and getting to know it. Download a service manual and go inside. Forget additives, you'll have to disassemble and clean with spray carb cleaner and compressed air. You have to take the gas tank off anyway so clean that out as well and add a motorcycle inline fuel filter while you are at it. Hollar if you need help.
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to wayupnorth For This Useful Post:
gallegd (12-16-2009)

froy is a jewel in the roughfroy is a jewel in the roughfroy is a jewel in the roughfroy is a jewel in the rough

12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
ck the valve lash
froy is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to froy For This Useful Post:
gallegd (12-16-2009)

ArizonaGriz has a spectacular aura aboutArizonaGriz has a spectacular aura about

12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by froy View Post
ck the valve lash
Agree, and check them regularly.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArizonaGriz For This Useful Post:
gallegd (12-16-2009)

mudflinger is on a distinguished road
12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
i had some issues with my 02 one was dyna fs cdi sometimes it would start sometimes it wouldn't check to see if you have the stock cdi, i also took my o2 in for a professional carb clean and valve adjust because it was very tempermental starting it it cost me $150 and now the bike runs better then it ever has. my valves had zero clearence and the carb wasn't all that bad but the choke camber was dirty. you can also check to see if you have anthing floating around in the gas tank or fuel line that is restricting the flow of fuel
mudflinger is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mudflinger For This Useful Post:
gallegd (12-16-2009)

12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Hey thanks a lot for everyone’s feedback. I decided to take the 250 dollar hit and have the dealer go through the entire thing so I know everything about the machine. Supposedly, for that price the dealer is going to go through the carb, reset the valves, change the oils, replace two wheel bearings, replace any recalls, and give me a heads up on any other problems that this things may have or need.

UpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond repute

12-10-2009, 01:22 PM
welcome to GC. I also have an 02. one thing to say GAS. if it was sitting for any length of time, your ethanol gas probably separated and the ethanol attracted water. That happened to mine. I would start up with the choke on full. As soon as I tried to take the choke off, it would stall. Needed a carb cleaning/rebuild. the gas will leave a film in the carb and clog the needle. look into using a additive for the fuel and in the cans you store gas. I went with the Stabil-fuel marine grade and haven't had anymore problems. you can find more threads on the carb/gas issue and which additive to use on here. look them up and do some research and make your decisions. By the way I ended up taking the hit also just to reset everything and now I put nothing but treated gas in mine. If you can find some gas station that sells non-ethonal fuel, go there. Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Ricochet Skid Plates & Rock Sliders
Superwinch ATV2300 w/Amsteel Blue
Mad Mike Clutch Mods 2 & 3 w/orange 2ndary spring
Plano Rear Box
Rotopax Fuel Pack
Tomahawk Front Bumber w/Rigid D2's

2009 Rhino 700 Black Special Edition
27in Sedona Rip Saw on ITP Black SS108 Wheels
Viper Max 4000 w/Amsteel Blue
Yoshimura RS-8 Muffler, K&N Filter, EZ Steer Power Steering
J Strong Roof w/lights & stereo
J Strong Full Windshield
J Strong Front & Rear Bumpers
J Strong Dual Battery Isolator

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population.

Last edited by UpstateNYGrizz; 12-10-2009 at 01:23 PM..
UpstateNYGrizz is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to UpstateNYGrizz For This Useful Post:
gallegd (12-16-2009)

12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Interesting information! I honestly don't know if this machine was sitting for long periods or not. It would make sense that it did with the problems that I am having. If i am not mistaken, I think the machine has 1300 miles and 430 hours. I added the fuel additive which bought from the dealer, it wasn't from Yamaha but it looked like pretty good stuff. After adding that stuff it seemed to help however it still has a hard time starting the first time. Its kinda funny to watch me start the atv and reinstall the air filter all at the same time (original post). I can get it to start but I can tell it needs a little bit of work. As I was reading in another post a user said that he was installing NGK Iridium spark plugs. Is there that big of a difference between the standard recommended plugs and these?

What is the standard annual usage for atv's? Kinda like for vehicles its 12k a year. ATV's?

El Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud of

12-10-2009, 02:24 PM
EVEL DOGG

I'd say annual usage would be alot lower than that. I would thing it's less than 1k, IDK. Have your dealer install a new needle and seat for cheap insurance. You don't want to get her running good and then be greeted by a huge puddle of gas under your Grizz. I'd say a thorough carb cleaning and valve adjustment will take care of the problem. The fuel w/ethanol is a pain. Marine Sta-Bil is required. It does not stay mixed w/2 stroke oil. I blew up a nice Shindiawa weed eater thanks to that gas. I ran my drag car on straight alcohol for a while and though it made good power it would ruin a specially prepped Holley in short order. I switched back to race gas. Dude I'm screaming change that needle and seat no matter what the dealer says...
The Following User Says Thank You to El Dee For This Useful Post:
gallegd (12-16-2009)

mcrevx is on a distinguished road
12-11-2009, 10:54 PM
hard start

I had the same problem with mine and it is the same year. I didn't have a clue, tried everything then I saw an article in an ATV magazine about checking the intake and exhaust valves. So I checked them and the intake had no gap, but the exhaust was fine. Adjusted and now runs like new.
mcrevx is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mcrevx For This Useful Post:
gallegd (12-16-2009)

12-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Well now you say something. I already took it to the dealer sobthey could troubleshootvit for me. When I took it in the service manager mentioned that it was more than likely the valves.

Regardless, the dealership should be able to make sure the machine is in good working order. I took it in yesterday and I'm supposed to get it back today. Although when I called on it about an hour ago they still haven't gotten to it. I'll besure to post what happens.

By the way, as I was troubleshooting I replaced the air filter with a stock replacement, is there that big of difference between K&N and stock? I know with vehicle air filters there is a noticable difference but I'm not fimliar with atv filters. Also, what about fuel filters? Any recommendations?

mcrevx is on a distinguished road
12-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Was wondering what the dealer had found out.
mcrevx is offlineReport Post

12-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Just a quick update, I finally got my grizz back from the dealer and it looks like the valves were all jacked up. I had them go through the whole thing from top to bottom and the only thing that needed to be changed was two wheel bearings, which I already knew about. I was really surprised to see how much better the thing is running now. Definitely a difference than before. . . big difference.

As I was picking the atv up we were having trouble getting the machine into any other gear besides neutral. Come to find out I had a little bit of water in the shifter box and it froze the shifter solid. Other than that everything is working great. Not to bad for only paying 2k for my grizz.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the feedback; UpstateNYGrizz, tgriffin09, mudflinger, ArizonaGriz, froy.

12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah and wayupnorth. . .thanks!

leburnem is on a distinguished road
11-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Problems such as yours usually turns out to be the carb needing cleaned...BADLY! So many times the valves get the bad rap. Someone who had mine before I got it had the intake valves at .032!!!!! (Book calls for .004 to .006! Thing ran like a scalded dog but it was noisy. People told me "Yamaha's are all noisy" but I'm not totally stupid! I adjusted the valves and the thing is as quiet as a mouse! As far as your choke/running problem, I've had the identical problem and it was the carb! This gas anymore is Holy terror on carbs. Anyway, when you take the carb off make sure you take extra care to get ALL of the tiny ports, etc. cleaned. I used gas welding tip cleaners for this. After putting it back together it ran AWESOME!!!! Choke started it up at a snap and after a short warmup peroid, it idled like NEW! Good Luck!
leburnem is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
2002 grizzly 660 problems
2002 grizzly 660 reviews

2002 yamaha grizzly 660

2002 yamaha grizzly 660 problems

2002 yamaha grizzly 660 recalls
2002 yamaha grizzly 660 reviews
2002 yamaha grizzly problems
2002 yamaha grizzly reviews
grizzly 660 choke problem
grizzly 660 electrical problems
grizzly 660 starting problems
yamaha grizzly 660 recalls
yamaha grizzly 660 starter problems
yamaha grizzly 660 starting problems
yamaha grizzly starting problems
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.