Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Temp. Light On

This is a discussion on Temp. Light On within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I was out on my first big snow run today and had a blast but got a bit worried when my temp light came on. ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

LIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of light

12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Temp. Light On

I was out on my first big snow run today and had a blast but got a bit worried when my temp light came on. The trail I was breaking had about 15" of snow on it and it was up hill for a long ways. I had to run with my diff lock on and in low range to conquer the mountain (that's what it seemed like!) When I got to the top I stopped for a break and it smelled like it was hot. The clutch cover was also very warm. After giving it a 10 minuit rest I started it back up and that was when the light was on and stayed on for about 90 seconds. Is this something to worry about?

Also, what is the best way to clean a dirty rad? I usually just scrap off as much mud as I can and use light water pressure for the rest. To properly clean it should I be taking it off every time? Ever since I got it swamped in clay the fan is running 90% of the time.

CRASH STUNT MEMBER

Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,181 Posts
desertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Low gear 4 lock pushing snow yah! I could see it overheating. With the prior plugging of your radiator It might be a good time to do some major clean out. Even removing the radiator and soaking it to remove all the dirt between the fins. First I would check the level of fluid in the coolant system and make sure your not losing coolant some how.
Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.
OG/GROC Member #1
Thought of joining the Original Grizzly Roll Over Club? (OG/ GROC)
PM me and I'll tell you whats required to join.
All Grizzly's welcome!
desertdweller is offlineReport Post

rob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant future

12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Check that your fins are not bent. You should not need to take it apart to wash the rad, wash it out from the back side first to push out the mud back out, as it will be stuck in the front. Then back and forth from front to back to get it all. You should be able to see through it/ shine a light through it without a problem when it is clean. Remember to soak it, if its plugged with thick clay, hose it down with water, let it sit for a few minutes, do it again, again, etc to let the clay suck in the water and loosen itself up.

If the light came on after it was off for a few minutes, it means the engine was close to overheating, but not there yet. When you shut it off, the coolant stopped flowing, thus the coolant sitting in the hot engine head only got hotter, then when it started circulating again, this hot coolant goes past the temp sensor and reads as being too hot, throwing the light on.

If you know the grizz is running close to being over heating/ have been working it hard like you did, after you shut it off its a good idea to turn the key on and let the fan run for a 30 seconds or a minute, then start the grizz for a minute to let the cooled water circulate again, then shut it off. Depending on how much work ya did, and how much more you will be doing, and how long you will be sitting for, you could do it a few times to help cool down the whole engine.

X2 on checking your coolant level! If the light only came on after, i doubt ya boiled any over, but its always good idea to check!
HL Temp Gauge - Hand/Thumb Warmers
Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
rob350 is offlineReport Post

LIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of lightLIV4MUD is a glorious beacon of light

12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the good advice guys. I just checked the coolant level and it appears to be normal. My rad is in good shape and has no bent fins but when I shine light thru it, I can tell it is dirty...might as well take it off and clean it right. Does the front fender have to come off to remove the rad?

clayton2127 is on a distinguished road
12-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I had the same issue. I was plowing and after a few hours.. more like 12,lol, the same thing happened. Looked at the radiator the next day and it was caked with mud. I think the person before me either did some serious mudding or tried to bake a cake in the radiator.. anyways, I just went to a do it yourself car wash and cleaned it. Just turned the pressure on the low setting first to loosen the mud. The turned it on the high setting but didnt pull the trigger. just let the free flowing pressure clean it out. Then at the very end i pulled it back and let it go full blast. Now she runs great and the radiator is clean. No fins got bent while pressure washing it and the fan runs as it should. If you do this.. just make sure you spray the radiator straight on as much as possible and not at an angle.. thats when the fins could get bent.. But again.. i did it and no issues at all

Last edited by clayton2127; 12-28-2009 at 08:01 PM..
clayton2127 is offlineReport Post

warj1990 is a name known to allwarj1990 is a name known to allwarj1990 is a name known to allwarj1990 is a name known to allwarj1990 is a name known to allwarj1990 is a name known to all
12-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Pain in the butt to pull the radiator -in my opinion.

Start with a water hose and a light pressure. If a few washes don't help then go for pulling it out.

I go mine out by taking out the battery and fliping the brain box over the handle bars - then pulling it stright up.
Many, many things unhooked etc.. to get it out.
warj1990 is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
2002 yamaha grizzly temp light will not go off
600 grizzly oil light keeps coming on
how can i get my oil temp light off on my atv?
my four wheeler light says hot what does that mean?
oil temp light on 99 yamaha 4 wheeler

oil temp light on four wheeler

older yamaha grizzly 400 oil temp light

oul temp light keepa popping up on 02 660 grizzly
what does the temp. light on my atv mean
what temp should big bear 400
what to do when the oil light comes on yamaha atv
would synthetic oil cause temp light to go on on grizzly 660

yamaha big bear 400 oil temp light

yamaha big bear oil temp light

yamaha grizzly red temp light on
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.