Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

660 thermostat and fan

This is a discussion on 660 thermostat and fan within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I recently bored my 660 out .080. I would like to know what the stock opening temp is for the t-stat and what part number ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

treadnmud is on a distinguished road

01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
660 thermostat and fan

I recently bored my 660 out .080. I would like to know what the stock opening temp is for the t-stat and what part number I could possibly find a lower temp under at a local parts store. Thanks.
treadnmud is offlineReport Post

UpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
The OEM thermostat for the 660 (Part # 5KM-12411-01-00 ) starts opening at 129 degF and is fully open at 158 degF which are industry standards. As for local parts stores, I don't think ones around here can help you. Trying to find one that fits at a lower range may be a problem.
Ricochet Skid Plates & Rock Sliders
Superwinch ATV2300 w/Amsteel Blue
Mad Mike Clutch Mods 2 & 3 w/orange 2ndary spring
Plano Rear Box
Rotopax Fuel Pack
Tomahawk Front Bumber w/Rigid D2's

2009 Rhino 700 Black Special Edition
27in Sedona Rip Saw on ITP Black SS108 Wheels
Viper Max 4000 w/Amsteel Blue
Yoshimura RS-8 Muffler, K&N Filter, EZ Steer Power Steering
J Strong Roof w/lights & stereo
J Strong Full Windshield
J Strong Front & Rear Bumpers
J Strong Dual Battery Isolator

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population.
UpstateNYGrizz is offlineReport Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UpstateNYGrizz For This Useful Post:
El Dee (01-22-2010), treadnmud (01-22-2010)

El Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud of

01-22-2010, 01:29 PM
THE EVEL ONE

USNY is correct. You need either Red-Line Water Wetter or Engine Ice to cool her down some. More and more brands are coming out and Evans and Be-Cool are choices as well. I have Engine Ice and it performed as stated, I'm happy w/it.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Dee For This Useful Post:
treadnmud (01-22-2010)

RB323 is on a distinguished road

01-22-2010, 02:01 PM
treadnmud

There is a little trick you can try. I used to do this on cars or trucks to help keep the temp down. Take the thermostate and drill a tiny hole on both sides of it. This way it will let the water threw without opening up fully,this will help keep it running cooler since you have a constant flow of coolant. Now, I can't tell you how big to drill them its just a trial an error thing. If you really want it to stay cool take the thermostate out. I wouldn't do that because it would probably run to cold and thats not good. I think the special coolant they have will work but probably not enough for your needs. Let me know if you try curious to see if works. I know it does for cars or trucks.
RB323 is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to RB323 For This Useful Post:
treadnmud (01-22-2010)

01-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I've drilled holes in thermostats before too. I have used the Be-Cool additive in my 73 Nova before also. Good stuff. I was hoping for a lower opening but 129 does not sound too bad. I'll have to order one I guess. Yamaha parts nation has one for $16.25 (not too bad).

What is the normal water temp on these things? I would imagine they would not need to get much hotter than 215-220 at the highest with new 50/50 coolant.
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I took my t-stat out and gutted it. I took the spring and all out and just put the outer piece back in to act like a restricter and it brought my temps down by 10-15 deg f.

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Mike For This Useful Post:
treadnmud (01-23-2010)

01-23-2010, 11:35 AM
That's a good idea too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
2004 rhino parts thermostat
2004 yamaha grizzly 660 thermoswitch location
2006 660 rhino parts thermost
2006 yamaha grizzly 660 fan hooks to themostat
5km-12411-01-00
660rhino thermostat

grizzly 660 thermostat

location of thermostat on a 2004 660 yamaha grizzly
rhino 660 thermostat location
thermastat switch for 2006 yamaha grizzly 660
thermostat yamaha 660
will oreilly thermostat fit a grizzly 660
yamaha grizzly 660 2006 thermostat

yamaha grizzly 660 thermostat

yamaha raptor 660 thermostat
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.