Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Replacing Belt?

This is a discussion on Replacing Belt? within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I Got 2400 Miles On My Grizz And Occasionally The Belt Will Slip If I Hammer It Hard From A Dead Stop Then Quit Its ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

Grizzly618 is on a distinguished road

03-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Replacing Belt?

I Got 2400 Miles On My Grizz And Occasionally The Belt Will Slip If I Hammer It Hard From A Dead Stop Then Quit Its Only Done It Maybe 4 Times. Think Its Time To Replace It Still Looks Good. How Often You Guys Replace The Belt I No Its A Long Lasting Belt.

Orangetc will become famous soon enoughOrangetc will become famous soon enough

03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I just replaced the one on my 450, 4500 miles on the belt still looks good but getting a lot of miles. Have 1900 on my 700 but have not looked at it yet.
Warn 2500
Rock sliders and Aluminum Prod. Skid Plates

05 Blue 450 Kodiak
Warn 2500
Aluminum Prod. Skid Plates
Orangetc is offlineReport Post

keeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant future

03-04-2010, 09:43 AM
618 have you took cover off belt and checked to see if dirt or water is on belt and pulley system. might be as simple as cleaning belt and scuffing up pulleys with scotchbrite pads to clean them up and dress belt with belt dressing to get traction on pullies.
also check width of belt,
spec is 31.7 mm(1.25") limit:(1.23")31.3 mm if out of limits then yea you need to replace.
keeter is offlineReport Post

Grizzly618 is on a distinguished road

03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Didnt No There Was A Spec On Width Will Deffinitly Check It Out, Yeah I Have Had The Cover Off When i Re Greased The Clutch Everything Is Dry. Thanks Keeter.

thomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to all

03-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes there is on my 600 its 32MM new and min of 30 mm before it must be replaced if the belt narrows to much it wont grab as well and it will ride lower in the sheaves. Im waiting on an EPI kit and severe duty belt hoping to do the swap before the weekend.
thomasakehoe is offlineReport Post

repieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant futurerepieces has a brilliant future

03-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeter View Post
618 have you took cover off belt and checked to see if dirt or water is on belt and pulley system. might be as simple as cleaning belt and scuffing up pulleys with scotchbrite pads to clean them up and dress belt with belt dressing to get traction on pullies.
also check width of belt,
spec is 31.7 mm(1.25") limit:(1.23")31.3 mm if out of limits then yea you need to replace.

What exactly is belt dressing?
SuperATV Front Bumper -- Coop45 Mods #2 & #3 -- EPI White Secondary Spring -- 8 Kodiak Weights
HMF Swamp Series Exhaust -- Power Commander V -- UNI Air Filter -- 4000# Viper Max -- Gorilla Axles -- 6000k HID's
RDC 2" Lift -- Snorkel'd -- MSA Diesels -- 30" Monsters -- ASR Tie Rods
repieces is offlineReport Post
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

03-10-2010, 06:01 AM
I wouldn`t use belt dressing it softens the rubber. that`s just me u can use it if u want.

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post

thomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to all

03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I totally agree with Mad Mike, belt dressing is in an aerosol can and it acts like comtact sement to get a failing belt to be able to still grab on a pulley it was used on car drive belts for years as a fix in a can for something that should really be fixed with a new belt. And not only will it ruin a belt it might also cause the belt to grab when it shouldn't putting added stress on driveline. Just an opinion, but hope it helps. But if all you are doing is checking and replacing a belt its a cake walk. remove the metal foot guard below the clutch cover, may have to remove the brake pedal which is just a matter of removing the spring, cable and a crclip, then disconnect the vent hoses from the clutch cover, remove the small bolts holding the lutch cover on and then you can pull the cover and have access to the belt. If you want to change the belt all you will need is 2 bolts that will fit the threaded holes in the secondary clutch sheaves mine were 6mm with a 1mm thread pitch and needed to be like 40 or 45 mm long you might wanna check yours so you don't strip the holes, then just thread them in a little at a time and it will spread the sheaves giving the slack in the belt and you can pull it off and replace it.
thomasakehoe is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasakehoe For This Useful Post:
BigBuck (04-22-2010)

keeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant futurekeeter has a brilliant future

03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Madmike's right if everything is clean and in spec you don't need it anyway. If belt slips it is for a reason, fix it or your thumb, smaller tires, smaller mud pits, naw just kidding. Just keep belt system right and you won't have problems unless you abuse that beast too much!
keeter is offlineReport Post

11Grizzly will become famous soon enough

03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
CHECKING THE V-BELT
1. Remove:
drive belt cover
Refer to
PRIMARY AND SECONDARY
SHEAVES
in chapter 4.
2. Check:

V-belt 1

Cracks/wear/scaling/chipping
Replace.
Oil/grease
Check primary sheave and
secondary sheave.
3. Measure:

V-belt width 2

Out of specification
Replace.

V-belt width
31.7 mm (1.25 in)
<Limit>: 31.3 mm (1.23 in)
4. Replace:
V-belt

a. Install the bolts
1 (90101-06016) into the
secondary fixed sheave hold.

NOTE:
_
Tightening the bolts
1 will push the secondary
sliding sheave away, causing the gap between
the secondary fixed and sliding sheaves to
widen.
b. Remove the V-belt
1 from the primary

sheave and secondary sheave.
c. Install the V-belt.
NOTE:
_
Install the V-belt so that its arrow faces the
direction shown in the illustration.
d. Remove the bolts.

Torque for bolts on clutch cover is 7.2ft-lbs

Michael
-Pro Taper Black SE bars
-ProArmor Kill Switch w/wrist teather
-ProArmor Skid Plates
-ProArmor FAT Peg Black Nerf's
-ITP Holeshot XCR's on ITP SS112's machined w/black
-Yoshi RS-2 Full Titanium Exhaust
-Quadbox FI Power Box
2K9 Raptor 90 for the Boy
-BIG GUN EVO Full Exhaust

My Garage
11Grizzly is offlineReport Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 11Grizzly For This Useful Post:
BigBuck (04-22-2010), Yamaheart (07-06-2010)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
2009 yamaha 700 grizzly belt
2009 yamaha grizzly 700 belt change
does yamaha grizzly use a belt
grizzly 700 belt replacement
how do you install a drive belt for a 2001 kodiak if it don't have a arrow for the direction of travel
how to change a belt on 2007 yamaha grizzly
how to change a v-belt on a 2007 450 yamaha kodiak atv
how to change belt on 2008 700 grizzly
how to change belt on yamaha kodiak
how to change drive belt on 450 kodiak
installing drive belt on yamaha wolverine
installing v belt grizzly 600
when to replace grizzly 700 belt
which way does the white arrow go on the v-belt for 2008 yamaha rhino 700

yamaha grizzly 700 belt replacement

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.