Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Help with over heating

This is a discussion on Help with over heating within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; HI guys we are putting together a 600 for my boy and we are pull starting it and it runs but it is getting hot ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

Southerngirl will become famous soon enough

06-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Question Help with over heating

HI guys we are putting together a 600 for my boy and we are pull starting it and it runs but it is getting hot and we do have the fan hooked up Help thanks

Backwoodsnh is on a distinguished road

06-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl View Post
HI guys we are putting together a 600 for my boy and we are pull starting it and it runs but it is getting hot and we do have the fan hooked up Help thanks

could you give us a little more info; 50/50 mix ? with or without thermostat cooling fins on rad plugged up ?? is the fan hot wired
Backwoodsnh is offlineReport Post

06-13-2010, 05:17 PM
ok yes we hot wired the fan and 50/50 is ? and I need to see if it has a thermostat. And check rad to see if it is plugged. ok will look into that thank you

jake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond repute
06-13-2010, 06:36 PM
600 is oil cooled only, how do you know its getting hot is it breaking up no power.
jake72 is offlineReport Post

Dan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Sorry... deleted my post. Just read about 600s being oil cooled. My Bad
RED 2002 Grizzly 660, 28" Gorilla Silverbacks, Wiseco 11:1 Piston, HotCams Stage 1 Raptor Cam, Raptor Valve Springs, DizGrizz Serious Air Filter Mod HERE, K&N Air Filter, Custom Rad Relocate, 1mm Shim, 660 Mega-Air Snorkels HERE,Powermadd Handguards, ODI Rogue Grips.

Last edited by Dan1724; 06-13-2010 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Cuz I'm an idiot
Dan1724 is offlineReport Post

keith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant future
06-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Quote:
You don't need to hotwire the fan. There's a thermo switch atop the engine, behind the cylinder, above the oil filter. That switch turns on a relay that turns on the fan. The fan will come on when needed.

With that said, be sure the radiator isn't mud-clogged. You can pressure wash it from both front and back, using a car wash. Be sure that the spray is not at an angle to the fins. If the fins get folded down or closed, use needle nose pliers to carefully straighten the fins.

To properly clean the radiator, you really should remove the front plastic, so you can get a nylon bristle brush in there to help remove any blockage. Once you can see a shined light through the radiator, then it's clean.

The 1998 600 radiator has a grille overlaying the radiator. The later years don't have this grille. If you're cleaning a '98 radiator, it is helpful to remove this grille before pressure washing.

If the radiator is clean, the head is clean, the oil is at proper level (remove left side plastic to check oil level in view hole window below the oil filter), then that is all you should need to be doing.

Note that there is an air duct that exhausts the clutch cooling air onto the head. This duct should be pointing the clutch exit duct onto the head just to the right of the spark plug. That duct is part of the engine cooling system, so make sure it's in place. It's retained by a hose clamp.

The right half of the oil pump lifts oil into the oil cooler radiator. Gravity dumps the oil back into the crankcase. Therefore, you have oil cooling and air flow around the cylinder/head. Be sure oil level is sufficient to be lifted into the cooler radiator, that air can flow through the oil cooler radiator (under fan control, as called for by the thermo switch), and that air can circulate around the cylinder and head (not mud clogged)

Pull starting a 600? I'd like to see that.

Last edited by keith20mm; 06-13-2010 at 07:21 PM..
keith20mm is offlineReport Post

06-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Hi thank you for info we got the bike in pcs so it's the motor and frame

Help with over heating-dsc_6927.jpg

Help with over heating-dsc_7388.jpg

Help with over heating-dsc_6919.jpg

we have only started it 3 times but it seems to be getting hot it smokes but could be stuff on the motor burning off. But will look into the things you said. and pull starting it is not easy we need to get a new battery and when we try to start it it clicks so we need a solenoid I think. ok tune in next time for As the Grizzly turns ......

keith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant future
06-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
we have only started it 3 times but it seems to be getting hot it smokes but could be stuff on the motor burning off.
No doubt, if you've gotten cleaner on the exhaust pipes.

While you have that thing stripped down, check the steering stem bearing and replace if it's loose... i.e., check the steering for slack.. tie rod ends, stem bearing. These are almost inaccessible with front plastic on.

The clicking when you hit the starter button... a down battery will do just that. You can hook 12v to the starter lug and frame ground to see if the starter motor will turn the engine over. Hopefully, the starter nose gear/idler /rotor gears aren't gnashed... but I'd try jumping the battery from a car first, but not for long. The bike battery is absorbed glass mat (AGM) and can't take much in the way of jumping.. it should be charged at 2A if possible, 7A for short duration max.

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,119 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith20mm View Post

While you have that thing stripped down, check the steering stem bearing and replace if it's loose...
I didn't know they had a bearing, seems strange to me that yamaha would use a bearing on the 600 and then years later use a little funky rubber bushing for the 660s.

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

06-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
I didn't know they had a bearing, seems strange to me that yamaha would use a bearing on the 600 and then years later use a little funky rubber bushing for the 660s.
Ah, ya done been had on the 660. Frame drawing parts 22, 23, 24, 25 are the entire lower assembly, bearing is part 93306-20331-00 on the 1999 600.

Ha ha!

Last edited by keith20mm; 06-14-2010 at 06:14 PM..

wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Ya, some little fart probably got a promotion for coming up with the idea of replacing a bearing with a rubberband.

jalk17 is on a distinguished road

06-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Some good info on here...I have a 2000 600 4X4 with some issues. Heating up and not sure why...Fan comes on when it needs to and sides get HOT HOT...Oil was changed and up to snuff in the window. I believe my stator is not charging the battery aslo...was new battery and started OK but now has drained enough which doesn't start the machine but does still run the fan when running. He is getting hot then starts to break up and spit and sputter...sometimes shutting down and trying to start it via PULL start...heck i'm almost throwing my back out!!!!!!! HARD to do for sure...actually sometimes it pulls FARELY easy and sometimes I almost pull my arms off cause something causes it to get EXTREMELY hard to pull....My two big issues are charging and HOT/breaking up. The fan works and oil is up. I think I'll take off ALL the plastics and check stator, air box, fins on motor etc....
jalk17 is offlineReport Post

06-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalk17 View Post
actually sometimes it pulls FARELY easy and sometimes I almost pull my arms off cause something causes it to get EXTREMELY hard to pull....
There's a trick to it! Pull the rope slowly to get the piston in the right position. Once you feel the piston go OVER top dead center, then yank it. Pulling it while the piston is going towards, or near top dead center is HARD.

06-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Make tons of sense!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
There's a trick to it! Pull the rope slowly to get the piston in the right position. Once you feel the piston go OVER top dead center, then yank it. Pulling it while the piston is going towards, or near top dead center is HARD.

wayupnorth - MAKES TONS OF SENSE ..Thanks for input....I was thinking something was binding up but with 8.5 to 1 and piston going up and valves closed when i'm pulling of course it would be HARD...Thanks

06-30-2010, 12:50 AM
buying a Haynes repair manual...should come in handy in the future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
01 grizzly 600 4x4 overheating

1998 yamaha 600 grizzly over heats

2000 grizzly 600 overheating
2001 yamaha grizzly 600 4x4 thermostat
2001 yamaha grizzly 600 fan not working
2002 yamaha grizzly 600 cooling system
98 grizzly 600 how to check thermal switch
98 grizzly over heats to much
frames of yamaha grizzly forum
grizzly 600 engine

grizzly 600 overheating

y is my grizzly overheating after rebuild

yamaha grizzly 1998 lifted

yamaha grizzly 600

yamaha grizzly 600 overheating problems

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.