Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2003 660 Grizzley Carburator

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  rwbigbear 
#1 ·
Hello all I just purchased a 03 660 Grizzley it was not running when I got it. I was told someone tried putting a jet kit in the carb. and it didn't work. Anyhow I tried starting the bike and it would start and then flood out right away. I purchased a moose jet kit and found out that the nozzle was missing out of the carb. I now have it where it will idle but as soon as you give it any throttle it will spit and sputter and the die. If I apply a little bit of choke it does just alittle bit better but not much. I gave the carb. a good cleaning but not sure if I might be missing something. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
:getrdone:

#2 ·
Welcome to the jungle :happy:

I had a simular issue. Pull your carb back off and check every part referencing the diagram below.

OEM Parts Yamaha GRIZZLY 660 (YFM660FP) 2002 CARBURETOR - Cheap Cycle Parts

I'm thinking the Moose jet kit came with a few jets, a needle and some other parts. Actually, I would really suggest you buy a rebuild kit that has various orings, jets and springs. In any event, swap them with the old parts. And clean the snot out of the remaining old parts and the carb body.

In any event, you have a mid circuit issue. Look closely at part #20 and make sure it's in the right way and make sure the needle stack is assembled correcly. Make sure the clip is in the correct position. Also, check diaphragm #4 for any pin holes. Start the A/F screw 2.5 turns out from bottom.

#3 ·
when you think you have it clean clean it 1 more time the fuel passages are very small and it doesn`t take much to restrict or plug 1 up. also flush the tank and clean the screen on the fuel shut off valve. then install a inline fuel filter.

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that. At least you have another carb to try. I ended up buying a used one off ebay.

Folks insisted my carb was still dirty when I had similar issues. I was in denial as I had cleaned the thing three times :icon_ goofy: I ended up taking to the dealer and they clean it in a hot tank. They said I might have had a sand granular in one of the 3 pilot holes (in the throat of the body). Spray cleaner through the pilot jet location and block off the vent tubes and you'll see what I mean. Those three holes are tiny!

OK -
When you give it gas, is it burping through the exhaust or intake?

Are you sure the float bowl is set right?

What happens when you restrict part of your intake? Put your lid on and block off about 1/2 to 3/4 of the air intake and tell us if it gets past the stumble you are getting.

#6 ·
It will burp and/or backfire through the intake if I apply the choke or block off the intake it will rev alittle bit higher but not much. I'll get it if it kills me. I'll try the carb. off the Rhino just to let me know if it might be something else. I'm 99.9% sure the float is set right. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks Again

#7 ·
As Mad Mike mentioned above...make sure you are getting good fuel flow to the carb. There are two screens on the end of the fuel cock. There are two screws to remove it from the tank. Make sure the tank is almost empty and turn it on it's side. My filters were not to bad after 9 years but they needed to be cleaned. I also ended up opening up that fuel cock and cleaning the crud out. There will be crud in there if is has sat for any amount of time. Today's fuel sucks. This is probably why Mike is recommending you put a filter on as well. I had to replace the smiley face gasket to make the valve work right. I also used a small amount of gas and swished it around and then dumped it out the filler to ensure the junk at the bottom of the tank was clean.

I like your attitude. Never give up.

#9 ·
Did you go to a smaller jet when you added the needle? If it runs a little better with the choke on, it sounds like you're jetted too lean now.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I put the carb. off my Rhino on it and it ran fine. Also called the guy I got the bike from trying to figure out what all he might have done to it. After talking awhile he informed me that we he couldn't get it running right that some friends of his told him to run small pieces of wire through all the holes in the carb. My bet is that either he broke a piece off or just jammed whatever was in there down alittle deeper. So I just went ahead and ordered another carb. Still works out pretty good didn't give to much for the bike. Also told him if he ever wants a jet kit put in something bring it over and never stick a piece of wire into any hole on a carb.
Thank Again all for your Help

#12 · (Edited)
Hey Buckeye....glad to hear you got the griz running. If you ordered a brand new one, you'll be all set. If you got a "new to you" old one, then you might consider taking all the parts off, and bringing the body to a place that can clean it for you. Some of these places have equipment you and I couldn't justify owning and can clean a carb much better than we can.

My guess is, the carb was still dirty and/or the needle stack was not right. Mine ended up being the three little holes that run through the throat of the carb. They were not clean after I sprayed about $50 of CRC carb cleaner through them. I also stripped a cat-5 strand of wire and pushed it through those holes. I think this crappy ethanol gas is hurting us folks. I think the answer is to run your toys for 3-5 minutes every month, when not in use. Don't let them sit. I don't care if it's a weed whacker or a $10K Grizzly, they need the gas to run through them. If you cannot run them, then you have to put Seafoam or that new Stabil blue stuff in the gas.....seriously. The days of letting your motors sit for a long time are over unless you like rebuilding carbs every year. I have never rebuilt so many of my carbs over the years until recently. It's pretty bad when you can pull every part off a grizzly carb and pile it up and know exactly where every part goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.