Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

V-belt broke!!! Fixed primary annihilated! ???

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  froy 
#1 ·
I picked up an 04 Grizzly 660 a week ago. I had been looking for a while when I came across this clean-looking 04 with 585 miles, 199 hours. Spoke with the owner before purchase and he seemed pretty sincere and honest. The quad was not abused, I can tell my looking at it - very clean, nothing broken/cracked/torn.

Had it shipped 1000 miles, went through it, changed all fluids - oil and filter, diffs, coolant flush, new spark plug, greased. Thought I was all set to enjoy it for months with no problems.

I took it out on Saturday, drove it through some woods then down a side-street when at about 40mph I felt something explode near my right foot. My first thought was that I blew the front tire. Pulled over, looked everything over and all looked ok. Hopped back on, put her in H and tried to take off...nothing, no movement. I pretty much knew at that point what had happened, even though I couldn't really believe it. I did a ton of research on what to buy before I purchased and I could not find ANY complaints about the CVT in the Grizz. Brought it back home and pulled open the case to find 20 pieces of belt and teeth from the primary fixed sheave inside the case. I also found what appears to be some type of twine or rope wrapped around the inside of the secondary. I'm have an appointment to drop it off at the shop on Friday. I can't believe I'll be putting hundreds into this machine already. wtf.

I guess I'm just ranting, but I really don't know how this could happen.

See less See more
#2 ·
So I'm still learning about the machine, but it appears that there is an intake duct for the CVT under the "hood" of the grizz up front. I'm wondering if the previous owner tied something onto his front rack with twine/rope and that's what I found in the CVT case wrapped around the secondary and ultimately caused the demise of the belt and primary.

Thoughts? What kind of suction do you think the intake has? Could it pull in some twine?

*sigh*

#5 ·
a defect? Was there a lot of grease in there, or not that much? Did he ever get water in the belt housing?

This is actually the first belt on a grizzly that I've ever heard of failing... (I can't even remember hearing it happen after mods)

My buddy and I both have `02 660's and we've never had to replace the belt... I think I have 2000 miles on mine and he's got 3500 on his...

#6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hebs @ Nov 19 2007, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
a defect? Was there a lot of grease in there, or not that much? Did he ever get water in the belt housing?

This is actually the first belt on a grizzly that I've ever heard of failing... (I can't even remember hearing it happen after mods)

My buddy and I both have `02 660's and we've never had to replace the belt... I think I have 2000 miles on mine and he's got 3500 on his...[/b]

The inside of the case is very clean, doesn't look like it's ever seen an ounce of water/mud. Your story of thousands of miles on a belt seems very typical which is why I'm having such a hard time understanding why this one would go. The bike is completely stock too! Not even a winch on it yet.

#9 ·
thats the cord thats inside the belt. last month my sons 660 did the same thing. he had like 3500 miles on it.
If you take the front clutch off and take it apart, see if you got grease in it or if its like dryed mud.
My sons grease was like dry mud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.