Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

2005 - 660 carburator problem need advise

This is a discussion on 2005 - 660 carburator problem need advise within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; 3 yrs ago I started having problems with gas getting into the oil (1000 klm.) Had it back to the dealer several times. When slowing ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

aphillips is on a distinguished road
08-30-2010, 01:53 PM
2005 - 660 carburator problem need advise

3 yrs ago I started having problems with gas getting into the oil (1000 klm.) Had it back to the dealer several times. When slowing down after a steady speed of 60 klm/hr on level ground it backfires. Dealer put new needle & seat Assembly in last month. Gas still getting into the oil making the oil 1/4" higher on the dip stick with only an hours use. However it sat overnight then used the next day so possibly the gas leaked into the oil at that point. Backfire still occurring after a steady speed when the throttle is released and the quad is slowing down.
When transporting the quad in truck the gas is turned off and the motor left running until the engine quits.
Dealers service manager has no idea what is causing the problem. The quad idles correctly and it appears that too much gas is getting by somewhere...Into the oil and into the muffler system causing a backfire.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
aphillips is offlineReport Post
DJ

Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,481 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2010, 03:09 PM
A new needle and seat should have fixed the problem. I would check the needle and seat again for debris/trash. Is there a fuel filter installed between the fuel shut off and the carb. If not, put one in. Did the dealer check the float level? This could cause the problem also, and if float level is too high could be why it's back firing (running rich). Shutting off the fuel petcock when it's parked (and when transporting) should solve the problem also, unless the petcock seals are bad. Check that the petcock is not leaking fuel by removing fuel line at the carb and closing the petcock - no fuel should come out with the petcock shut off. Always shut the petcock off when storing the bike between rides. Fuel leaking into cylinder then into crankcase is a common problem on the 660 when the needle and seat are bad or trash gets caught in the needle/seat. For that reason alone always shut off the fuel when not using the bike.
08 Camo 700EPS, 26" BH OGs on Blk 108's, 1" frnt whl spcrs, Elka Stg 2, RDC 2" lift , Rhino axels, EHS Bullet Box & lid mod w/K&N, Dyna FS, HMF Swamp Exh, Coop45 sheave, greaseless wts, purple spring, Yami US HD frt bumper, Bison Hunter rear bumper, ViperMax 3500 w/syn line, ATVrocks skids & Rock Sliders, Rox risers & Solex tapered quad bars, Roto Pax, PIAA Intense White H4's, Plano 1510 rear box.
AZ08Grizz is offlineReport Post

thomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to all

09-02-2010, 12:24 AM
I think AZ08Grizz has pretty much nailed it. The gas in the oil is almost certainly due to a needle not completely seating into the seat when it's shut down. Even with a new top end you still have the ring gaps and the fuel will slowly dribble down into the crankcase. When I brought home my used and abused 600 and began doing the restoration. I found that there was literally more gas than oil in the engines bottom end. I'd get a rebuild kit for the carb, probably cheaper than just ordering a needle and seat from your local Yamaha stealer and also go to cheapcycleparts.com or the like and get a new gasket and the internal parts to rebuild the petcock that way you'll be double sure it's not leaking fuel into the carb and the engine when not in use. As far as fuel in the muffler if it had the much extra fuel when running, if it ran at all you should be seeing dark smoke. Did they actually see fuel in the exhaust or just assume that from the backfiring? Backfiring in my experience, not the word of God, is more common when an engine is running lean or the timing is off. I'd do the rebuild of the carb and make sure it's squeaky clean and the float height is set to factory spec as well as the pilot jet screw and see how it runs after that. And as mentioned make sure you have a good fuel filter in between the tank and carb. Good luck and post back your findings.
TKO Custom Jetting
EHS Racing Air Box Lid With K&N Filter
Supertrapp Mud Slinger Exhaust
Odyssey PC545 Battery
More new factory parts than I care to remember.
But, Green Mountain Grizzly Lives.
thomasakehoe is offlineReport Post

donster57 is a jewel in the roughdonster57 is a jewel in the roughdonster57 is a jewel in the roughdonster57 is a jewel in the rough
Location: Perth, Western Australia. Relatively easy to get to major coastal sand dunes and fishing locations.

09-02-2010, 01:44 AM
There's a vacuum chamber tube that "T"s out and venture to heavens know where. I'm wondering is it possible that someone has accidently swapped and carb vacuum line for a crank case breather line. Consult your workshop manual for a schematic as that may be the cause. I can't see why and engine would run well and still fill a crankcase with fuel. Surely it would run really rich and stink for you to notice such a rich mixture due to needle/seat fault. Even then there's a carb bowl overlow tube that would release the fuel onto the ground not down to the crancase.
I'm sorry .... I don't buy the needle and seat argument at all.
donster57 is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
05 grizzly 660 problems
05 yamaha grizzly 660 carb
2005 removing carburator 660 yamaha
2005 rhino 660 problems
2005 rhino 660 reviews
2005 yamaha 660 grizzly problems
2005 yamaha grizzley carburator
2005 yamaha grizzly 660 carburetor
2005 yamaha grizzly 660 carburetor jet problems

2005 yamaha grizzly 660 problems

2005 yamaha rhino 660 problems
how to clean the carburetor on a 2005 660 yamaha grizzly
what would happen if the carb needles were accidently swapped in a raptor 660
yamaha 660 raptor oil and fuel coming out of crankcase
yamaha rhino 660 carb adjustments
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.