Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

blue smoke all the time and burning lots of oil

This is a discussion on blue smoke all the time and burning lots of oil within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Alright here's the story. My buddy has an 05 or an 06 450 kodiak and it sucks riding behind him, because his quad stinks, always ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

Tony will become famous soon enough

09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
blue smoke all the time and burning lots of oil

Alright here's the story.
My buddy has an 05 or an 06 450 kodiak and it sucks riding behind him, because his quad stinks, always blowing blue smoke and burns tons of oil. The quad started doing this at around 400 or 500 miles and now more at over 1000.
The quad runs great, except for the smoking.
What needs to be replaced / fixed, and how hard is it to do?
Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!
Tony is offlineReport Post

Dan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond repute

09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Eeesh... first guess is that he's cooked the rings and is pushing the oil into the cyl. From what I hear, that means that it eventually will blow.
RED 2002 Grizzly 660, 28" Gorilla Silverbacks, Wiseco 11:1 Piston, HotCams Stage 1 Raptor Cam, Raptor Valve Springs, DizGrizz Serious Air Filter Mod HERE, K&N Air Filter, Custom Rad Relocate, 1mm Shim, 660 Mega-Air Snorkels HERE,Powermadd Handguards, ODI Rogue Grips.
Dan1724 is offlineReport Post

fuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to all
10-01-2010, 05:14 AM
worn rings or cylinder is the first thing that people will tell you, they might be right its very possible. if this is the case often but not alway the engine will be hard to start as its low on compression, if compression is leaking past the rings theres a good chance oil is leaking past too. check the compression figures with a cylinder compression gauge if its a lot lower than spec it probably needs a rebuild. another tell tale of worn rings or cylinder is that if you pull of an engine crank case breather or take off the oil filler cap whilst its running you will get alot of back pressure coming out, its hard to tell if your not sure what your looking at or if you dont have another bike to compare it too but it may be fairly obvious.

DO NOT OVERLOOK valve stem seals and valve guides, usualy but not always when rings or cylinder is worn an a 4 stroke [or a car] it will run fine when you are driving and using throttle maybe a bit smokey, but when you let go of the throttle ie slowing down into a corner, then when you give it more throttle coming out of the corner you get a huge plume of thick smoke from it. this is a classic case of worn piston/rings/cylinder.this is because you get a huge depression in the cylinder on the over-run [slowing down from highter rpm] this depression sucks oil up past the rings.

if however its smokey all the time its usualy worn valve guides/stems and/or seals.

it may be something else im just generalising but look ou for the above and it should give an indication to to fault.

cheers.
fuzzy bear foot is offlineReport Post

fuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to allfuzzy bear foot is a name known to all
10-01-2010, 05:25 AM
p.s. there are loads of different additives you could try. none in my opinion will fix it if it needs a rebuild but it may help make it a bit better to live with for the time being.

ive used ametech restore, didnt think much of it but reviews on the net say its awesome. need to check if its safe for use with the kind of gearbox/clutch fitted to the bike.

ive got some lucas oil fortifier, its realy thick sticky shit it should help get the compression up a bit and stop oil leaking in the rings/guides as much. maybe worth a go?

oil seal conditioner, theres loads of brands it basically has a chemical seal in it which will [supposedly] soften up hard and brittle engine seals. this is the main cause of oil leaking past valve stem oil seals.

dont know about this one or if you can still get it. wouldnt use it myself but there was a product called holts piston seal, its a tube of paste, you removed the spark plug and squeezed into the cylinder the run the engine. it was supposed to melt all round the piston/rings and make a good seal. pretty nasty idea i think but just throwing it out there.

cheers bro.
fuzzy bear foot is offlineReport Post

gcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to behold

10-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm just going to toss this out there. Sounds nuts, but here it goes.

I just bought a 98 600. Tried it in the person's yard, all good, home I went.

Found out that once it would get fully warmed up it would smoke like a...well, a lot. And when I say a lot, I mean enough that I would never think of taking it out on a run with other people.
The blowby would also blow so much oil into the airbox that it would drip puddles of oil out the airbox drain.

I went out on a 100 mile run, had to add oil 3 times. Even just out for a day by myself, taking it easy and puttering around, I would have to top the oil off at least a couple times.

I had myself ready for a top end. But, I'll be damned if it's not getting better each time I ride it. I haven't had to add oil in the last 2 times I was out. Wife's friend was behind me all day on her Cat and she said there was never any smoke, but could smell a burning oil smell now and again when I pushed it hard.

Talked to a guy that had 2 98 600's, he said they're bad for stuck rings if they sit around a lot. I don't know if he's full of it or not, but in two months, mine went from a fogger that I wouldn't drive where anyone might see me to no visible smoke at all.

Maybe a stuck ring? If you can find a cheap way to free it up, you might be golden.

I wouldn't think the top end would be gone at 400-500 miles...plus it sounds like it doesn't get much use if it has 1000 miles on it now.
Maybe that one has the same sickness mine did....

2010 Brute Force 650 4x4i - Smokey Blue
1998 Grizzly 600 - Blue Smoke
gcfishguy is offlineReport Post

Tony will become famous soon enough

10-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks Guys
The machine does sit around quite a bit.
How about this, Big bore kit!
Will this solve his problem?

Thanks again for your help!
Tony is offlineReport Post

gcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to beholdgcfishguy is a splendid one to behold

10-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
How about this, Big bore kit!
Will this solve his problem?
There's no replacement for displacement. :-)

2010 Brute Force 650 4x4i - Smokey Blue
1998 Grizzly 600 - Blue Smoke
gcfishguy is offlineReport Post
DJ

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,423 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

10-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Put some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas to free up the stuck rings. Sounds like it's getting better on it's own but the the Marvel will speed up the process by lubing the upper cylinder walls, rings and valves. Walmart sells it. Lots of people swear by this stuff and it won't hurt anything!
08 Camo 700EPS, 26" BH OGs on Blk 108's, 1" frnt whl spcrs, Elka Stg 2, RDC 2" lift , Rhino axels, EHS Bullet Box & lid mod w/K&N, Dyna FS, HMF Swamp Exh, Coop45 sheave, greaseless wts, purple spring, Yami US HD frt bumper, Bison Hunter rear bumper, ViperMax 3500 w/syn line, ATVrocks skids & Rock Sliders, Rox risers & Solex tapered quad bars, Roto Pax, PIAA Intense White H4's, Plano 1510 rear box.
AZ08Grizz is offlineReport Post
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

10-01-2010, 02:21 PM
what kind of oil is he using? I had a honda that burn`t amsoil like I used to drink beer switched back to honda oil all was good. is he over filling it? if all he has is 1,000 miles on it he didn`t break it in right if it turns out to be a ring problem.

A big bore kit will solve the problem if it is the rings. if it`s the valve guides then no it will still burn oil maybe even worse. if he`s going into the top end he mize well do the head (valve job).

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).

Last edited by Mad Mike; 10-01-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post

DEWFPO is a name known to allDEWFPO is a name known to allDEWFPO is a name known to allDEWFPO is a name known to allDEWFPO is a name known to allDEWFPO is a name known to all

10-04-2010, 06:09 PM
As others have said, if he doesn't have a mechanical problem.... check the oil level, if good, run some cleaner like Marvel Mystery Oil thru it or switch over to synthetic. If it stops burning oil, the oil rings were likely gummed up. Some folks start their ATV's and drive them to the mailbox and back and they rarely warm up so the oil rings get gummed up. Then they trail ride and they smoke.

I once switched a car with 109K miles on it over to synthetic motor oil and the consumption went from 1 qt. per 1,000 miles to 1 qt. per 2,500 miles in a few months. All I can figure is the synthetic oil cleaned the ring lands so they oil rings could work again and the synthetic oil is less volatile at operating temps so it wasn't vaporizing as easily as the dino and getting burned off.

DEWFPO

thomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to allthomasakehoe is a name known to all

10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd recomend getting a cheap leak down tester from somewhere like Harbor Freight and just follow the directions to figure out where the problem is. If you go step by step you can pinpoint if it's in the cylinder/rings, valve seals etc.... A big bore kit will solve the issue if it's just a worn set of rings and cylinder, but as madmike said ounce you crack into things this deep go the extra mile and check the condition of the valves and repair anything that is not in spec it will save a lot of headaches down the road and also save money in the long run.
TKO Custom Jetting
EHS Racing Air Box Lid With K&N Filter
Supertrapp Mud Slinger Exhaust
Odyssey PC545 Battery
More new factory parts than I care to remember.
But, Green Mountain Grizzly Lives.
thomasakehoe is offlineReport Post

jackedup1630 is on a distinguished road
10-07-2010, 01:54 AM
has he fliped it over? my buddie fliped my 700 over and it must have cooked somthing. im not sure what he did i wasnt there but mine eventually went now i gotta replace the crank and the whole top end so find out what it is now before it gets to bad!
jackedup1630 is offlineReport Post

muddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to behold
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Im in the same boat I have a 09 700 with only 610 miles on it, I broke it in as the owners manual told me to (which sucked) and 2 weeks ago while we were on a trip at Hatfield it started smoking like a freight train and the one-way bearing came out of it. so now its sitting at the dealer waiting to see if yamaha will cover the repairs since im 3 weeks out of warranty.
2009 700 GRIZZLY EPS BLUE, 28" ZILLAS,AIR BOX MOD, 11:1 H/C PISTON, STAGE 2 HOT CAM, HOT ROD SHEAVE, 16 GRAM OD WEIGHTS, GOLD EPI SPRING, DYNATEK FS CDI, EHS BULLETT BOX, 4-1.5" SNORKLES, BIG GUN ECO SLIP-ON, 1.5" SPACERS

2013 TERYX4 LE
muddygrizz is offlineReport Post

JNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to behold

10-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Rings
B-Line Control Suspension, Penland Exhaust, Power Commander III Fuel Optimizer, Dynatek CDI Controller, EPI Clutch kit, Rath Racing Front Sway Bar, EHS Air Box Mod, Thumb/Grip/Seat Warmers, Horn, Bottle holder, Grip Donuts, Warn 3k with remote and synthetic wire, Moose Hand Guards, Mud lights/ATR's/Outlaw Tires, ITP Rims, Tamarack Trunk, Fuel Pak, ATV Rocks Skid Plates, 2r Foot Pegs and Rails.

Red = Provided above and beyond support
JNelson is offlineReport Post

muddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to beholdmuddygrizz is a splendid one to behold
10-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Thats what I figure it is, guess its time for a 802 kit then.
2009 700 GRIZZLY EPS BLUE, 28" ZILLAS,AIR BOX MOD, 11:1 H/C PISTON, STAGE 2 HOT CAM, HOT ROD SHEAVE, 16 GRAM OD WEIGHTS, GOLD EPI SPRING, DYNATEK FS CDI, EHS BULLETT BOX, 4-1.5" SNORKLES, BIG GUN ECO SLIP-ON, 1.5" SPACERS

2013 TERYX4 LE
muddygrizz is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page

05 rhino rering now smoking bad

1998 yamaha grizzly 600 burning oil
2005 yamaha big bear blue smoke
4 stroke atv blue smoke

4wheeler smokes bored out thicker oil

atv stop smoke

best oil to stop a fourwheeler from smoking
grizzly 700 smoking blue and smells

honda atv blue smoke

how to make 4 stroke atv stop smoking

moter start smoking on my 4wheeler

my 2001 yamaha grizzly has lots of exhaust

stop piston rings smoking with marvels

yamaha kodiak 400 blue smoke

yamaha rhino wont go over 25 mph

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.