Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

rebuilt top end,mystery oil leak.please help

This is a discussion on rebuilt top end,mystery oil leak.please help within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; installed BBK(2002 660)& stage 1 hotcam.used manual think i did everything by the book.engine runs great,but ive got an oil leak i just cant locate ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

mark600x is on a distinguished road
10-22-2010, 05:53 AM
rebuilt top end,mystery oil leak.please help

installed BBK(2002 660)& stage 1 hotcam.used manual think i did everything by the book.engine runs great,but ive got an oil leak i just cant locate the sourse of.pretty substantial leak.theres oil on the front left corner of the valve cover oil on thatfront left corner of the motor and spray on the left plastic cover near gas shut off.,near the valve cover.i completely cleaned entire motor and fired it up,trying to locate leak.i just cant find it.its a small leak so it doesnt show source while running in garage.so i take it for a short ride(5 minutes)come back in garage ,that left corner of engine from the valve cover down is wet w/oil and oil drips off of skid plate on the floor of garage.i did use tourqe wrench on all bolts to spec,i retourqed valve cover.cant find leak.anyone got any thoughts?
mark600x is offlineReport Post

JNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to beholdJNelson is a splendid one to behold

10-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I would try using brake cleaner on the engine followed by compressed air. It cleans off all of the oil and makes it a dull grey look. Oil leaks are then easy to spot. Re run and inspect frequently.

I'm not familiar with the 02 660 engine. I had a 450 that had a plug that leaked on top of the engine. The oil would blow out the plug towards the front of the quad, hit the fan, and blow back everywhere. It took awhile to locate the problem.
B-Line Control Suspension, Penland Exhaust, Power Commander III Fuel Optimizer, Dynatek CDI Controller, EPI Clutch kit, Rath Racing Front Sway Bar, EHS Air Box Mod, Thumb/Grip/Seat Warmers, Horn, Bottle holder, Grip Donuts, Warn 3k with remote and synthetic wire, Moose Hand Guards, Mud lights/ATR's/Outlaw Tires, ITP Rims, Tamarack Trunk, Fuel Pak, ATV Rocks Skid Plates, 2r Foot Pegs and Rails.

Red = Provided above and beyond support
JNelson is offlineReport Post

10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
tell me more about the leaking plug on ur 450.i did the brAKE cleaner trick,didnt narrow it down.im wondering is the any breather etc on the front of motor that im not seeing?
DJ

Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,453 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Remove the valve cover and check the o-ring or gasket and eliminate that as posssible source. Make sure crankcase vent hose is properly connected and not plugged/kinked.
08 Camo 700EPS, 26" BH OGs on Blk 108's, 1" frnt whl spcrs, Elka Stg 2, RDC 2" lift , Rhino axels, EHS Bullet Box & lid mod w/K&N, Dyna FS, HMF Swamp Exh, Coop45 sheave, greaseless wts, purple spring, Yami US HD frt bumper, Bison Hunter rear bumper, ViperMax 3500 w/syn line, ATVrocks skids & Rock Sliders, Rox risers & Solex tapered quad bars, Roto Pax, PIAA Intense White H4's, Plano 1510 rear box.
AZ08Grizz is offlineReport Post

10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
no gasket @ valve cover.yamabond only.as far as i can see theres only one breather and its behind cylinder,is there any others?

esibrogden is on a distinguished road

10-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I had a similar problem with the rebuild of my 600 grizzly top end , I had a loose bolt even though we had used the correct torgue settings. It took a while to spot which bolt on top had the leak. I had to remove the Head & re-tap the hole , also checked manual for bolt length. Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by esibrogden; 10-22-2010 at 08:32 PM..
esibrogden is offlineReport Post
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2010, 07:39 AM
I had a similar problem on my 700 it was the oil feed line to the head the crush washer had a piece of dirt under it. I don`t know if the 660`s have a oil feed line or not.

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
2000 grizzly 600 cylinder head plug leaks

2001 660 oil leaking from cylinder head

660 grizzly leaking oil from exhaust valve
660 rhino rocker cover
grizzly 125 valve cover leaking
grizzly 660 oil leak cylinder head
grizzly 660 oil leak head
grizzly moter leaking out of top
install valve cover 660 grizzly
my kfx 700 started leaking oil from top end
raptor 700 leaking oil
raptor leaking oil from valve cover
valve cover 05 rhino 660

yamaha 660 valve cover torque

yamaha raptor 660r oil leak on exhaust
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.