Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

01 600 Air Box Question

This is a discussion on 01 600 Air Box Question within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I'm rebuilding my carb and in the process I removed the air cleaner air box; but i had trouble doing so and broke something on ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

1BadGriz2Play is on a distinguished road

01-20-2011, 09:45 PM
01 600 Air Box Question

I'm rebuilding my carb and in the process I removed the air cleaner air box; but i had trouble doing so and broke something on the bottom underneath the box toward the rear. It looks like a little port of some sort and it has some type of grease clamped to it. The plastic broke around the port and now there's a hole in the air box; can anyone tell me what this is? I cannot find it listed anywhere in the service manual. Can this be effectively glued back in and still function properly? It looks like it could be. BTW what is the function of this thing? Thanks!
1BadGriz2Play is offlineReport Post

Wemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant future

01-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Was it just a small piece of rubber clamped to the underside of the airbox? Drain probably. Post a picture if you can.
09 Blue Armour 700EPS 27" XTR's on 14's, HMF utility, K&N, HMF Optimizer, Mad Mikes mod's 2&3, 8-16 gram weights with orange secondary spring, Tiger Tail, Full Ricochet Skids, Warn XT 2500, Tamarack rear box, Rotopax gas/gas, storage/first aid. 08 Blue 700FI 27" XTR's on 12's, PCIII, K&N, Full Ricochet Skids, Warn RT 2500. Wemac
Wemac is offlineReport Post

01-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wemac View Post
Was it just a small piece of rubber clamped to the underside of the airbox? Drain probably. Post a picture if you can.
there is a tube of some sort with what looks like a sticky grease attached to what does look like a drain with a clamp on it as you can see. Is this normal? And if so for what purpose is it??? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
01 600 Air Box Question-drain.jpg   01 600 Air Box Question-broke-hole.jpg  

Wemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant future

01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
That is just a low point drain for your airbox. It is probably just dirty. Clean out that little tube and give your airbox a clean and you can reinstall that tube and clamp once you glue the piece that broke off.
09 Blue Armour 700EPS 27" XTR's on 14's, HMF utility, K&N, HMF Optimizer, Mad Mikes mod's 2&3, 8-16 gram weights with orange secondary spring, Tiger Tail, Full Ricochet Skids, Warn XT 2500, Tamarack rear box, Rotopax gas/gas, storage/first aid. 08 Blue 700FI 27" XTR's on 12's, PCIII, K&N, Full Ricochet Skids, Warn RT 2500. Wemac

01-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wemac View Post
That is just a low point drain for your airbox. It is probably just dirty. Clean out that little tube and give your airbox a clean and you can reinstall that tube and clamp once you glue the piece that broke off.
Ok so it sounds like that needs to be in there! Will do and thanks man!

01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Otherwise you will get some water coming in if it is not there. Enjoy.

keith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant futurekeith20mm has a brilliant future
01-22-2011, 08:13 AM
That's the drain. Don't worry about the broken piece.

Do worry about the fact that it's a rodent entrance hole. Stuff a piece of stainless steel scrubber pad into that hole, and cover the air inlet duct with a piece of hardware cloth, formed to snap over the rubber in duct.

Oh, I made the mistake of leaving my #1 600 in the garden shed this summer. When I went to find out why it wouldn't crank, I found the air box stuffed with eaten acorns.

The reason it wouldn't crank was, of course, the source/pickup coil, (but you know that already...)

Well, if you drive in water deep enough to enter that hole... duh.. .

The little flexible rubber nipple is a pinch drain. J-B Weld will make all correct there.

There is a way of installing that air box so you don't have to bash it in. You set the box in, nose first, on about a 45-degree slant, press down, and rotate to the final position. It's not an intuitive motion, though.

Last edited by keith20mm; 01-22-2011 at 08:17 AM..
keith20mm is offlineReport Post

01-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith20mm View Post
That's the drain. Don't worry about the broken piece.

Do worry about the fact that it's a rodent entrance hole. Stuff a piece of stainless steel scrubber pad into that hole, and cover the air inlet duct with a piece of hardware cloth, formed to snap over the rubber in duct.

Oh, I made the mistake of leaving my #1 600 in the garden shed this summer. When I went to find out why it wouldn't crank, I found the air box stuffed with eaten acorns.

The reason it wouldn't crank was, of course, the source/pickup coil, (but you know that already...)

Well, if you drive in water deep enough to enter that hole... duh.. .

The little flexible rubber nipple is a pinch drain. J-B Weld will make all correct there.

There is a way of installing that air box so you don't have to bash it in. You set the box in, nose first, on about a 45-degree slant, press down, and rotate to the final position. It's not an intuitive motion, though.
Thanks Keith! Will try the JB if the Gorilla glue I used last night fails! I will try that install; that was why it ended up breaking trying to remove that thing is not easy!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page
01 yamaha grizzly 600 air box
2000 grizzly 600 secondary pickup coil

600 grizzly air box

air box for 600 grizzly

grizzly 600 air box

grizzly 600 air box hose
grizzly 600 air duct drains
grizzly 600 hole in air box
stock air box 600 grizzly
yamaha 600 air box 5
yamaha grizzley 600 air box

yamaha grizzly 600 air box

yamaha grizzly 600 air tube

yamaha grizzly 600 airbox

yamaha xt 600 airbox mods
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.