Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

starts hard cold and low compression

This is a discussion on starts hard cold and low compression within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; this might be long,but please bear with me. my bike has 6000 kms,left my bike outside this weekend,tried to start it up sunday morning(temp was ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

bigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of light

12-20-2011, 08:48 PM
starts hard cold and low compression

this might be long,but please bear with me. my bike has 6000 kms,left my bike outside this weekend,tried to start it up sunday morning(temp was -3C,27F) and it started very,very hard. thought it was valves and checked them and they were good. dicided i would check my compression,the engine was cold,and got 90 PSI,put a little oil in the cylinder and got maybe 93-95 PSI. the bike has been using a little oil lately and can see blue smoke when you are really in the throttle hard. would that low of compression make it start hard? does it sound like rings?
now another question,if it needs a top-end rebuild,would you recommend a stock rebuild or go with a HC piston,cam,exhaust,filter and jet kit? do the timing chains wear on these bikes? i need this bike to be reliable and start good and run good at any temperature,even down to -20C.
looking forward to your responses, thanks
ehs big 3 with uni air filter
jbs sheave,18gram weights,purple secondary
500 rpm stall springs
perfex skid plate
heat demon heated grips and thumb
rear pass. seat
bigredgrizzly is offlineReport Post

bigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of lightbigredgrizzly is a glorious beacon of light

12-21-2011, 08:31 PM
bump-nobody?
500 rpm stall springs
perfex skid plate
rear pass. seat

Mill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud of

12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Stock compression is around 188 psi. You need a new top end and that is why you can barely get it to start. Once winter really kicks in for us it will not start at all.

As to the HC piston, cam hey once its open then the sky's the limit on what you want to spend.
ODI Grips
Ricochet Guards
Kimpex rear box
Uni Filter
26" Swamp Lites
Warn Winch
1" Wheel spacers
2R Tip
Mill is offlineReport Post
DJ

Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,481 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredgrizzly View Post
this might be long,but please bear with me. my bike has 6000 kms,left my bike outside this weekend,tried to start it up sunday morning(temp was -3C,27F) and it started very,very hard. thought it was valves and checked them and they were good. dicided i would check my compression,the engine was cold,and got 90 PSI,put a little oil in the cylinder and got maybe 93-95 PSI. the bike has been using a little oil lately and can see blue smoke when you are really in the throttle hard. would that low of compression make it start hard? does it sound like rings?
now another question,if it needs a top-end rebuild,would you recommend a stock rebuild or go with a HC piston,cam,exhaust,filter and jet kit? do the timing chains wear on these bikes? i need this bike to be reliable and start good and run good at any temperature,even down to -20C.
looking forward to your responses, thanks
The engine has a built in compression release. You must use the proper technique to get a proper compression reading. Refer to shop manual. In those low temps you should be using a 0w-40 engine oil which will allow the engine to crank faster in cold temps.
08 Camo 700EPS, 26" BH OGs on Blk 108's, 1" frnt whl spcrs, Elka Stg 2, RDC 2" lift , Rhino axels, EHS Bullet Box & lid mod w/K&N, Dyna FS, HMF Swamp Exh, Coop45 sheave, greaseless wts, purple spring, Yami US HD frt bumper, Bison Hunter rear bumper, ViperMax 3500 w/syn line, ATVrocks skids & Rock Sliders, Rox risers & Solex tapered quad bars, Roto Pax, PIAA Intense White H4's, Plano 1510 rear box.
AZ08Grizz is offlineReport Post

01-01-2012, 08:35 PM
well,i did a leak-down test and had a fair amount of air coming out the exhaust,and a little in the crankcase. took it apart tonight and found the exhaust valves are not sealing very well at all, and the cylinder has light scratches and one spot that looks and feels like a rough texture. going to take cylinder and head to machine shop tommorow and find out the damages.
500 rpm stall springs
perfex skid plate
rear pass. seat

01-01-2012, 08:35 PM
well,have to bore out .5mm and the shop said he could grind the valves and the valve seats. i was thinking about changing the timing chain,the guides have no wear and looks like the tensioner could still come out another half inch. would the chain be stretched with 6000 kms?
500 rpm stall springs
perfex skid plate
rear pass. seat

01-06-2012, 08:37 PM
well, its all back together. where i bought the piston they sent me a hc piston by accident so that is what i put. started it up last night and it started on the first crank,idled nice. tommorow is the big day ! have to break it in on a good ride. cant wait to see if that hc piston makes any difference!
500 rpm stall springs
perfex skid plate
rear pass. seat

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page

2002 arctic cat 90 hard start

2008 yamaha grizzly 660 hard starting when cold

arctic cat 250 hard start when cold

arctic cat 90 55psi compresion

arctic cat 90 low compression

low compression adjust valves grizzly 660
low compression hard to start

low compression when cold

ltr 450 low compression

starting a polaris ranger that has low compression

starts good low compression

yamaha grizzly 660 compression

yamaha grizzly 90 compression problems

yamaha rhino compression psi

yamaha rhino runs good but compression is 95 psi

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.