Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

stuck in 4 wheel drive

This is a discussion on stuck in 4 wheel drive within the Grizzly Engine & Transmission forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Hey guys, Im a newbie here and have a issue w/ my 2003 grizzly 660. During my ride last weekend I noticed that the servo ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

rotalaris is on a distinguished road
06-26-2012, 09:45 PM
stuck in 4 wheel drive

Hey guys, Im a newbie here and have a issue w/ my 2003 grizzly 660. During my ride last weekend I noticed that the servo motor for the 4 wheel drive "sounds" like its working but the unit will not come out of 4 wheel.
Could the mechanism be broke in the diff.? The Diff lock works fine.
Any help would be great.
The pic below is what I do on the weekends when Im not riding the 4 wheelers
Thanks
Rot.
Attached Thumbnails
stuck in 4 wheel drive-pic008.jpg  
rotalaris is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,054 Times in 659 Posts
AUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond reputeAUSSIE BATTLER has a reputation beyond repute
Location: TOWNSVILLE , AUSTRAILIA When injustus becomes law,Resistance becomes duty !!

06-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Thumbs up

HAVE A LOOK AT THIS SHOULD HELP YA OR DO A THREAD SEARCH FOR" SERVO MOTOR"

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

oleblue22

06-14-2012, 08:18 PM Cheap alternative to replacing 4wd servo in your 08-11 Grizzly 700
I found a way to replace the servo motor only on the newer 700's. Some of you may remember my older post about replacing them in the 02-08 660's.

While I can still can get those motors as well. I finally got the newer servo motors back from the machine shop.

The newer ones fit the following models

07-11 Grizzly 700
08-11 Grizzly 450
09-11 Grizzly 550
08-11 Rhino 700
07-11 Big Bear 400

I just did an install on one yesterday and I took pics and wrote a how to.

This install was on a 08 Grizzly 700 but they should all be the same for the most part.

If you have a skid plate it would be easier to remove it to access the bottom bolt on the servo and also to let the oil drain. I also recommend having the bike in 2wd to ease in installing the servo back on the diff.

Hereís what it looks like in the bike.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 140KB.

Hereís what it looks like when the servo assembly is removed.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 137KB.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 172KB.

Remove the 3 10 mm bolts that hold the servo on the diff. Gear oil is going to pour out unless you drain it first.

Remove the six phillips head screws that hold the servo assembly together and it will look like this.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 136KB.

Take care not to turn the big black plastic gear. This will cause you problems and will be a headache trying to get everything back in time.

Once apart youíll see the motor and the two small phillips screws holding it in. Donít worry about moving the small white worm gear next to the motor to get the motor out. That wonít be a problem, just donít turn anything on the other half of the case. Once the two screws are removed, carefully pry up on the motor to remove it.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 119KB.

Motor once removed. Old motor on left, new motor on right.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 146KB.

Put the new motor in and reinstall the holdown bracket with the two small phillips screws.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 144KB.

Put the two halveís back together again making sure not to turn the black plastic gear. Reinstall on your bike, fill with gear oil and enjoy the money you saved vs buying a new servo.
If anyone has any questions or needs a motor please donít hesitate to shoot me pm. Hope this helps.
STELTH SNORK SET UP
UPGRADE TO CAN AM 650 XT
WITH RAD RELO KIT
LED BAR
660 SS MEMBER
SOLD >>GROC MEMBER
06 /660 GRIZZ
FULLY SNORKED
KOLPIN 2 X FUEL CELLS
BEAR CLAW TIRES
1.5MM SHIMS
MAIER OVER FENDERS
TMAX 1500 KG WINCH
6 MM SKID PLATE [HOME MADE]
RICOCHET CV SKIDS
MAGELIAN GPS UNIT
2" ATV MOD TIP
1.5 " SPACERS
DWT NITRO WHEELS 1 INCH OFF SET
DOG BOX
STUBBY COOLERS
PISS ESKY
AUSSIE BATTLER is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to AUSSIE BATTLER For This Useful Post:
Downeaster (06-27-2012)

waltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
before you pull the servo off the diff... check the plugs on the servo to make sure they are seated...then..

just for grins swap the 2 black relays under the seat..one puts it in 4wd the other puts it back into 2wd...(the big white one is diff lock)

let us know..thanks
walt
waltinbatonrouge is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to waltinbatonrouge For This Useful Post:
reogem (06-27-2012)

rotalaris is on a distinguished road
07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
The 4 wheel/diff lock works great now.No troubles after getting hit by a car the other nite. I replaced the front upper A arm and now it shifts in and out of 4 wheel nicely.
Thanks for the help guys
Rot.
rotalaris is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Search tags for this page

09 grizzly 700 stuck in 4wd

2002 grizzly 660 stuck in four wheel drive

2003 grizzly 660 4wd shift motor

2003 yamaha grizzlg 660 fore wheel diff light is stuck on

big bear stuck in 4wd

grizzly 660 stuck in 4wd

grizzly 700 wont come out of 4 wheel drive

grizzly for wheeler locked in 2 wheel drive
how to fix 4wheel drive on a 660 rhino
is a grizzly wheeler wheel drive
massimo 500 4x4 stuck in gear
what makes a yamaha grizzly shift into 4 wheel drive
why is my grizzly 660 locked in 4x4
yahama servo motor for in and out of four wheen drive on atv's
yamaha rhino not shifting in and out of fourwheel drive
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.