Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

what size is the secondary spring nut

16K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  14grizzly550 
#1 ·
what size is the secondary spring nut iv'e read its a 45 and a 46 below is some of what i read thanks

You will need a 22mm deep well to remove both the primary and secondary sheaves. The spring retainer nut on the back of the secondary is a 45mm, but a 1 13/16" will work also. That is what I used You will need a 22mm deep well to remove both the primary and secondary sheaves. The spring retainer nut on the back of the secondary is a 45mm, but a 1 13/16" will work also. That is what I used posted bt sean

We will need some tools for this, namely a 46mm socket Last edited by TxChristopher

so i need help getting the right one

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm 100% sure a 1 13/16" works on a 2013 550 and 700. That is what I actually used on an electric impact. It didn't damage the nut or round any of the corners. I looked it up on a parts page online. It calls for a 45mm. I measured the retaining nut on mine to confirm the size before going out to buy one. Only reason I went with SAE vs metric is because no one carried a 45mm in stock.

#3 ·
Sean posted the correct size at 45mm however wasn't able to find one and ended up using the 1 13/16" to get the job done. If you can find the 45mm, she's the one.

#6 ·
lol I just took a hammer and flat head to a corner of the nut with the spring tool installed. Worked fine for me.

#10 ·
So are you guys using a 1/2 inch drive 45mm socket? if so where are you buying them. Most everything I've run into is 3/4" dr. I prefer not to use a adapter on my 1/2" torque wrench.
Thanks

#11 ·
45mm for me. i bought a full set of 3/4" drive sockets from harbor freight. i thought it was a 46mm, but the 45 from the set worked. i assumed it was the shoddy chinese sockets, but i guess not.

#13 ·
x2. well, i ordered one from amazon the other day... when i took the nut off a couple weeks ago, i actually took a 3/4" head bolt and ground off 2 of the corners so it fit in the 45mm sockets 3/4" drive hole. sandwiched 2 nuts together and then used an 3/4" impact socket to take it off. ******* for sure!

Reactions: BDSNJ
#14 ·
Only reason I asked is that I bought a 46mm socket from Amazon and it was a 1/2 Inch Drive, figured if I can get a 46 in the 1/2" drive should be able to get a 45. Oh well?
Thanks guys

#16 ·
45mm = 1.77165
1 13/16 = 1.8125
.04085 off.. a 1 13/16 worked fine..

I used it on mine.. 3/4 to 1/2 drive impact off and torqued wrenched down... you can find 1 13/16 at your local hardware store too.

and if your like me you use it and don't scratch or scuff it and return it.
rent a tool program..

#17 · (Edited)
#18 · (Edited)
Get the 45mm 3/4 and get a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Off-Road Forums mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.