Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Belt broke

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Hebs 
#1 ·
Ok, so my belt decided to break at 710 miles... I'm still uncertain as to why it happened. Up until it snapped, I had never gotten a drop of water into the clutch case, so we can rule that out. I was just driving down the side of a gravel road when I started hearing a weird noise. At first I thought it was coming from the front brakes. (I've had to replace them for the second time already) I pulled it over and had to trailer it back to the house. When I got the housing off I found about a 6 inch section of the inner part of the belt missing and in chunks in the housing.

Has anyone else seen or had this problem?

#2 ·
That sounds like the belt delaminated from heat? Although your belt has never been wet, has it been really hot? Have you worked it a lot?

#7 ·
Easing thru may very well build more heat than a good steady clip. I don't just blast thru but I try to keep the clutch fully engaged and the CVT more than at full reduction (so as not to groove the sheaves). But, it sounds like you might have just had a faulty belt from the getgo at that mileage. It's definitely a possibility.

#8 ·
Dude !! I have seen the way you ride - your lucky the belt is the only thing that has gone up on that bike. I cant believe you even asked for an opinion on this !

#9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captjack @ September 17, 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude !! I have seen the way you ride - your lucky the belt is the only thing that has gone up on that bike. I cant believe you even asked for an opinion on this !

[/b]

Oh whateva Jack... I don't ride it that hard...
Not hard enough to wear out the belt at least. My 660 has 3000 miles on it and I have yet to replace the belt on it...

#11 ·
Yeah your right it was your buddy that was riding hard - you had the blouse on - sorry got you guys mixed up - lmao

Im with gary - bad belt -- I blew apart my clutch and my motor and the belt was still good !!

sorry dude I have one laying around I will sell to you cheap if you can hold off till we go to wv

#12 ·
Aftermarket ones dont seem to get the miles the OEM ones do. Stay away from the Goodyear Gatorback, as they measure too narrow new. The EPI belt is also under spec for width. The carlise belts seem to have odd lengths, which will take away tension, or gearing. Daycos seem to be the best, however, they dont seem to take the abuse the OEM does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.