Primary Sheave Question - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-12-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Primary Sheave Question

I have a 1998 600 Grizzly. Wasn't running when I got it, but I have it going now. Took it out this weekend and it was struggling going up hills. The motor was revving up just fine, but it just didnt have any power. In Low it was better, but still not what it should be. Got it back in the shop and pulled off the primary sheave. When I opened it up, the weights were not even in their grooves, so no way it was functioning correctly.

Questions:
1. The service manual shows that this should be lubricated. Not sure what kind and how much. I saw a video of an after market sheave and that guy used alot (I mean really ALOT) of grease in there. With my stock sheave, should I be using ALOT of grease? Any idea on what kind? Wheel bearing grease?

2. Mine did not have an o-ring seal under the cover plate, not really sure what it would seal off anyway. Is the seal really needed?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-12-2016, 01:45 PM

High temp wheel bearing grease is fine, doesn't take much at all. About a tsp. per channel

The seal keeps grease from slinging on the belt

Im running factory weights with no grease, no problem yet. I don't have alot of miles that way, but other members have plenty of miles on factory weights with no grease. If you want to grease it, you'll want the seal.

YACC #44

'13 camo 550-SOLD

'15 700 SE-

-27"bearclaw HTR's/STI beadlocks
-2" snorkels/EHS fuel cont./extended. batt. cables/exh. tip OR barkers
-rox setup
-Switch panel/voltmeter/temp gauge/20"light bar/eagle eye rear lights/led TL panel w/ flash module
-2x pelican 1200/2x pelican 1400 cases
-viper max 3500#/1/4" amsteel blue rope
-ODI rogue
-DIY 1/4" skids/bumper repl.
-machined sheave 3.13:1 ratio, cut camplate
-blocked A.I.S.
The Following User Says Thank You to whiskeymike For This Useful Post:
Ridgway81432 (12-12-2016)
post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Thanked 2,987 Times in 1,884 Posts

The grease is slung to the outer end of the weight channels and the o-ring keeps the grease in the primary.
I suggest you go slow and see if there is a reason the weights had fallen out of the channels.
Was the cam plate nut tight?
Do your weights have covers on them?

Jim,
Fast Green Convertible "06" 660 on 26" BH OG's with Stock Wheels.
COOP45 Primary, 1.5 mm shim, -1.5 mm belt, Purple Secondary Spring, 21 gram weights, weight covers reduced to 29 mm diameter and a 2 mm Cut Cam Plate. 2 heat range hotter plug, Warn Winch, Passenger Foot Rests, Rock Deflectors, Heated Grips and Hand Mitts, Grab Strap, Cooling System Up-Grade and multiple position mirrors.
8040 miles, 812 hours on 1-1-15
Y.A.C.C. #43
post #4 of 6 Old 12-13-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Ridgeway asked if mine had covers on them... The only cover that it has is the "Primary Pulley Cam" (see page from service manual below). Notice that in my manual, it shows a o-ring (not ballooned), but it does not list it in the parts list. I found the o-ring listed in a parts break-down on yamahapartshouse for my bike.

When I took the off the "sheave cap", the rollers were all over the place. Here is a pic of what I seen.

Yes, the big nut on the outside that holds the sheave was tight. I put the weights back into the grooves and put everything back together, but it didnt work right. The cam plate didnt move down against the weights, so when I turned it back up on its edge to install it, the weights fell out of their grooves again.

I am going to look at it again tonight and pay more attention to it when I put it back together. I am going to run it dry for now since that is how the factory built this one. I might put a very light coat of grease on the weights.

I bought this bike and it wasnt even running. The odometer shows 4,500 miles on it and the speedo cable is broke. Who knows how long it has been broken.

Thanks,
Kirk
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2016, 09:14 AM

Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,569 Posts

Hey KA... The rollers fell out while you were installing the primary. It is very important that after you drop the rollers in the channels, drop in the cam plate and install the grease cover that you do not tip the sheave over without holding the camplate tight on against the roller weights. You can stuff a rag or a piece of hose in between the grease cover and the camplate to hold everything in place while installing it on the shaft. Don't forget to remove it when done.

When running greaseless you do not need the grease cover. However you will need to be more careful about the rollers flopping out.

Some folks still buy the legacy roller weights that have the covers loose. These are inferior because the plastic is not as durable as the modern roller weights. Also when installing the old style weights because the covers are loose you must install them with the cover shoulder facing the loaded side of the channel (to the left).

I believe the 600's have a electronic speed sensor. Not 100% sure. Don't see a cable in the SM.

2013 blue 700
No eps has MMS
360/120 CVT
UniFilter
26"Reptiles
STI HD1 Beadlock wheels
grezzzless clutch.

Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700
Camo
25" Reptiles
STI HD1 Wheels

05 camo 660
KN filter w/outerwear
grezzzless clutch

TRADED IN
11 green 450eps
The Following User Says Thank You to reogem For This Useful Post:
wgc (12-13-2016)
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
Hey KA... The rollers fell out while you were installing the primary....

Some folks still buy the legacy roller weights that have the covers loose. These are inferior because the plastic is not as durable as the modern roller weights. Also when installing the old style weights because the covers are loose you must install them with the cover shoulder facing the loaded side of the channel (to the left).

I believe the 600's have a electronic speed sensor. Not 100% sure. Don't see a cable in the SM.
They were messed up like this when I took it off. Pretty sure someone else had been messing with and they didnt know what they were doing. I didnt either the first time I took it off. Thanks to this forum and good ole' Youtube I am a little more informed.
I reinstalled it last night the correct way and I test ran it with the cover off. I put a very light coat of grease on each roller and against each side of the groove the weight ride in. It works perfectly now. The sheaves opens and closes when I rev the engine. Pretty sure the bike will pull much better now.

Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode