School me on Wet Clutch Deletes - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

School me on Wet Clutch Deletes

I've read a few threads on this but suprisingly there is not a lot of information out there on this.

From what I've been able to find out, folks are having issues keeping the cam plate splines from letting go due to the hammering they take from the 700's. Is anyone have any success with their deletes?

Also,
Without a wet clutch how is it possible to come to a complete stop with engine running in gear since the primary and secondary are always engaged? What takes the place of the wet clutch to allow disengagement from the motor to trans aside from Nutral?

Thanks,
Robert

2016 Grizzly LE * 26" Bighorn Tires on Stock LE Rims * Yamaha Glide Plate * Warn Provantage 3500 S * 2MM Shim * Purple EPI secondary spring * Heat Demon Grips and 4 way controller * Front/Rear LED Light bars * Factory Yamaha Storage Box * EHS EFI Tuner, Intake and air box cover* HMF Exhaust * Ricochet Floor Board Skids * Rox Risers * Elka Stage 4's front and back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Thanked 1,070 Times in 848 Posts

As far as I remember, the wet clutch delete also replaces the complete primary clutch. It uses a centrifugal clutch like a snowmobile (or like Polaris, Can Am, Kawasaki and some Arctic Cat models use on their machines).

I still do not recommend wet clutch deletes on Yamaha's. It is just not a proven reliable system. And the speed of customer service is dismal at best. While the guy who does it seems like a great stand up guy, the cost is high and repair times can cost you months of lost riding.....that's even if you can get a hold of him. The last I knew, it was still just about impossible.
There will be a couple guys on here that should chime in. One guy lost pretty much a year of riding due to constant failures and repairs taking months to complete. In the end, he ended up selling the complete kit and went back to stock.
In my opinion, the performance results are just not worth it. What is the good of having better performance for 1 day, just to have it fail and cost you months of lost riding time to get it repaired. And what about the price of getting the repairs completed, including shipping the parts back to the guy to do it.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 04:13 PM

X2 on what dezz said.

The only one currently out there is over 2k iirc and doesn't stand up to any abuse from what I can tell.

Even if it was reliable, it wouldn't be as reliable as the stock design, because the sheave opens up far enough that it won't grab the belt. So when you take off the sheaves close and grab the belt, they are designed to slip, but Yamahas is designed with constant tension since the wet clutch slips instead of the belt.

Until there's a better wcd out there, id stay away. Wet clutches last a looooong time.

YACC #44

'13 camo 550-SOLD

'15 700 SE-

-27"bearclaw HTR's/STI beadlocks
-2" snorkels/EHS fuel cont./extended. batt. cables/exh. tip OR barkers
-rox setup
-Switch panel/voltmeter/temp gauge/20"light bar/eagle eye rear lights/led TL panel w/ flash module
-2x pelican 1200/2x pelican 1400 cases
-viper max 3500#/1/4" amsteel blue rope
-ODI rogue
-DIY 1/4" skids/bumper repl.
-machined sheave 3.13:1 ratio, cut camplate
-blocked A.I.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeymike View Post
X2 on what dezz said.

The only one currently out there is over 2k iirc and doesn't stand up to any abuse from what I can tell.
Airdam clutches no longer doing them? He pioneered it.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM

conversely, these guys came up with a way to convert a polaris cvt to be more like a yamaha ultramatic: POLARIS RZR and RANGER CLUTCH SYSTEM | DURACLUTCH not what the OP was asking about, but i found it to be interesting. video on their page though is good for seeing how a cvt that uses the primary opening up enough to act as a clutch works in comparison to a constant belt tension cvt.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
it's finicky and a turd but
i'm not cruel enough to sell it
post #6 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezz View Post
Airdam clutches no longer doing them? He pioneered it.
There was a link to them from one of the threads I read earlier, and yes they were still in business, or at least the website is up. And yup, about $2K

2016 Grizzly LE * 26" Bighorn Tires on Stock LE Rims * Yamaha Glide Plate * Warn Provantage 3500 S * 2MM Shim * Purple EPI secondary spring * Heat Demon Grips and 4 way controller * Front/Rear LED Light bars * Factory Yamaha Storage Box * EHS EFI Tuner, Intake and air box cover* HMF Exhaust * Ricochet Floor Board Skids * Rox Risers * Elka Stage 4's front and back
post #7 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Yes, I was referring to airdam.

I would like to have my try at it eventually but no time, no money.

YACC #44

'13 camo 550-SOLD

'15 700 SE-

-27"bearclaw HTR's/STI beadlocks
-2" snorkels/EHS fuel cont./extended. batt. cables/exh. tip OR barkers
-rox setup
-Switch panel/voltmeter/temp gauge/20"light bar/eagle eye rear lights/led TL panel w/ flash module
-2x pelican 1200/2x pelican 1400 cases
-viper max 3500#/1/4" amsteel blue rope
-ODI rogue
-DIY 1/4" skids/bumper repl.
-machined sheave 3.13:1 ratio, cut camplate
-blocked A.I.S.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

So whyle in class, can any tell me if there are any gains to be had from wet clutch slugs? The reading ive done seems indicate there wasn't much of a differance in wet clutch engagment.

post #9 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 PM

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tythomps View Post
conversely, these guys came up with a way to convert a polaris cvt to be more like a yamaha ultramatic: POLARIS RZR and RANGER CLUTCH SYSTEM | DURACLUTCH not what the OP was asking about, but i found it to be interesting. video on their page though is good for seeing how a cvt that uses the primary opening up enough to act as a clutch works in comparison to a constant belt tension cvt.
That's cool. But not 2 G's cool. I'll just tote an extra belt in the rzr. If I'm gonna drop that kind of dough, the Griz will have Elkas. No need for comment, PA.........

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 w/ Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo bar, WM custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gal, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos
-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
post #10 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbear View Post
That's cool. But not 2 G's cool. I'll just tote an extra belt in the rzr. If I'm gonna drop that kind of dough, the Griz will have Elkas. No need for comment, PA.........
They must have gone up in price. The Duraclutch used to be $1200, and was worth every damn penny. It simply is the best modification you can do to a Polaris drive system, bar none....at least in my opinion anyway....lol.
It offers almost Yamaha belt reliability to a Polaris, as well as giving a lower clutch gear ratio which equals to more tiring turning torque, better/stronger engine braking, way smoother engagement....it just simply better in all ways compared to oem Polaris clutches.
post #11 of 22 Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 PM

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
They must have gone up in price. The Duraclutch used to be $1200, and was worth every damn penny. It simply is the best modification you can do to a Polaris drive system, bar none....at least in my opinion anyway....lol.
It offers almost Yamaha belt reliability to a Polaris, as well as giving a lower clutch gear ratio which equals to more tiring turning torque, better/stronger engine braking, way smoother engagement....it just simply better in all ways compared to oem Polaris clutches.
That price was off their site. I'm sure their distributors are probably cheaper. I don't doubt that setup is the shiz. I'd love to have it for my wife's machine.

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 w/ Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo bar, WM custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gal, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos
-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
post #12 of 22 Old 01-12-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbear View Post
That price was off their site. I'm sure their distributors are probably cheaper. I don't doubt that setup is the shiz. I'd love to have it for my wife's machine.
sorry about the thread hijacking. not trying to convince anybody of anything, just being objective about their listed price, still $1200: RZR900-B | DURACLUTCH and that's still a hefty price IMO to save a few belts on a trail machine, so i agree with you there, okbear. but if i owned a popo and used it as a strictly work or rock crawling machine, i could see how it woukd easily be worth the $1200

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
KFI 48" plow

2004 Rancher AT
post #13 of 22 Old 01-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTaco View Post
So whyle in class, can any tell me if there are any gains to be had from wet clutch slugs? The reading ive done seems indicate there wasn't much of a differance in wet clutch engagment.
Bumping this for you since I added distraction into the thread you started. Though I have zero experience with wet clutch slugs.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
KFI 48" plow

2004 Rancher AT
post #14 of 22 Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTaco View Post
I also have to apologize for getting the thread off topic. I was just a big a factor in it.

Anyway, wet clutch slugs have been shown to slightly lower engagement rpm of the wet clutch, smoothing an already smooth engaging clutch. Additionally they have shown to decrease wet clutch wear because the clutch is grabbing harder due to the increased weight being thrown out by centrifugal forces. In my book, it's a win-win to install clutch slugs. I will be doing them myself the next time I service my clutches (which should be this spring).
post #15 of 22 Old 01-12-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I also have to apologize for getting the thread off topic. I was just a big a factor in it.

Anyway, wet clutch slugs have been shown to slightly lower engagement rpm of the wet clutch, smoothing an already smooth engaging clutch. Additionally they have shown to decrease wet clutch wear because the clutch is grabbing harder due to the increased weight being thrown out by centrifugal forces. In my book, it's a win-win to install clutch slugs. I will be doing them myself the next time I service my clutches (which should be this spring).
Thanks and no worries-

What you've mentioned is on par with what I've read. So what is it about the delete that is increasing gains in power transfer to the wheels? Is it just the reduction in rotating mass? Or is the wet clutch with or without slugs slipping under more extreme torque?

-Robert

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode