2017 Grizzly - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-14-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

2017 Grizzly

Hi new owner here. Looking for advise on waking this machine up. I'm an engineer so not worried about getting into something. I'm thinking the first enhancement will be a tuner by EHS however they don't list a 2017. What do you all suggest as good bang for the buck I.e. Exhaust tip, clutch spring, air filter, air lid, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-14-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanked 3,197 Times in 2,008 Posts

Welcome from Colorado.
New tires make for a better grizz, but some wait for the new to wear off some.
Many use C.V.T. mods to change the pulley ratio, then a stiffer secondary spring if the belt slips. It worked great on the older machines.
Call Eric to ask when he will offer a tuner for the '17's.

Jim,
Fast Green Convertible "06" 660 on 26" BH OG's with Stock Wheels.
COOP45 Primary, 1.5 mm shim, -1.5 mm belt, Purple Secondary Spring,
21 gram weights, weight covers reduced to 29 mm diameter and a 2 mm Cut Cam Plate.
2 heat range hotter plug, Warn Winch, Passenger Foot Rests, Rock Deflectors, Heated Grips and Hand Mitts,
Grab Strap, Cooling System Up-Grade and multiple position mirrors.
8040 miles, 812 hours on 1-1-15
Y.A.C.C. #43
The Following User Says Thank You to Ridgway81432 For This Useful Post:
eggmantaxi (04-18-2017)
post #3 of 21 Old 04-14-2017, 06:04 PM

Thanked 1,247 Times in 858 Posts

Welcome! Go get 'er dirty first!

Seriously though, I avoid high pressure anywhere around the top half of the machine and use my pressure washer on the bottom half. No issues so far.

*·-:¦:-·* Silver 2011 Grizzly 700 Special Edition *·-:¦:-·*
Diablo Beadlocks with Pit Bull Growlers
Warn XT-30 Winch with Remote

Moose Front & Rear Bumpers
Ricochet Full Skid Plates
Garmin Montana 610t
Maier Hand Guards
Plano 1510 Box
2" Receiver
Rigid D2's
ODI Grips
RotoPax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Welcome to GC from TN. and X2 on programmer , exhaust and clutch mods being the best bang for your buck mods

08 700 EPS
27"BHOG's W/ITP SS112 rims
Ricochet full skids
1.5xxbillet spacers
1.5shimw/EPI purple spring
HMF XL pipe w/optimizer
Uni air filter
Moose front and rear bumpers
12" LED bar
Rotopax 3gal fuel cell
Yami overfenders
Yami hand guards
Warn XT2.5 winch w/syn. rope
LED reverse light
ODI grips
Rhino axles and etc etc....
post #5 of 21 Old 04-15-2017, 04:24 AM

Thanked 1,214 Times in 903 Posts

Welcome 2 GC, congrats on the griz.

07 GRIZZLY 700 eps in CAMO
12" ITP SD Series Single Bead Locks W/
27" ITP Black Water EVO'S
OMI greaseable steering stem mount
Upgraded Stator/ Crankcase Cover
JBS Sheave,16gr.Ods,Gold Spring
ROX PowerMadd handguards
ROX 5in. Grizzly 700 package
Trail Bright Led Back-up Light
J&T atv Digital Temp. Gauge
Heat Demon heated grips
Yamaha rear storage box
2012 oil access footrest
Kuryakyn battery meter
XXbilletXX 1" spacers
Yamaha overfenders
Blue Sea Fuse Block
Yamaha Glide Plate
Level One footpegs
ELKA'S STAGE 3
ODI Rogue grips
Trail Tech Tach
Warn 3500-s
UNI air filter
Gold Plugs
LED bulbs
Tiger Tail

post #6 of 21 Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Thanked 1,292 Times in 774 Posts

Garage
Welcome to GC

- Brad, '07 Grizzly 700 (bought 02/14) | Updated '09 oil line cover w/ RM Stator | Dynatek DFCA-13 FI Controller | 26" BigHorns OG | Yamaha Rhino SE wheels w/ 1" spacers | Coop45 Primary Sheave mod3 & .7mm shim | EPI purple spring | RoxRisers w/ Renthal Fatbar | Ricochet Full skids w/ UHMW Overlays | BlueSea Fuse Block | Yamaha HD bumper w/ Totron 12" LED light bar | Back-up LED light | Heat Demon grips/throttle | Kolpin Fuel Pack | Uni air filter
post #7 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone I ordered the EHS lid and Uni air filter kit as this seems to be a major weak point of the Grizzly. Anything else I should consider is much appreciated. I also plan to block off the AIS.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badweather View Post
Thanks everyone I ordered the EHS lid and Uni air filter kit as this seems to be a major weak point of the Grizzly. Anything else I should consider is much appreciated. I also plan to block off the AIS.
Since you asked twice;
The low end pull can be greatly improved with C.V.T. mods that raise the pulley ration. This multiplies the engine torque (snap) produced just as using a lower gear in a truck is needed to pull heavy loads.
I got with COOP45 (Arnie) and ended up with him machining the movable primary sheave.
I use shim in combination with the machining to achieve the highest pulley ratio, without rubbing a hole in the C.V.T. cover, which produces best pull with the stock engine configuration.
The shim mod produces a linear effect which reduces the grizz top speed slightly so I cut the cam plate to counteract the shim after the grizz reaches @25 m.p.h., and this put the top speed back where it was. Arnie perfected the shim mod and does this work too.
Much of what I did was to match my grizz to the riding conditions in my area. For the best low speed crawling performance in the rocks using high gear, the machining and shim made the grizz user friendly with throttle control, then in more open areas between towns, once higher speed is reached the cam plate allows for higher speeds without stopping to shift gears.
To complete my combination, I installed heavier weight primary weights to regulate the up-shift for smooth cruising at lower engine r.p.m., and this increased the m.p.g.
Along the way I installed a heavier secondary spring to prevent belt slip from the high pulley ratio, and the heavier spring also produced more back-shift for improved engine deceleration. In the mountains, using less brake input is good.
Your area conditions may cause you to install some but not all of the above mentioned options.
The Yamaha C.V.T. system is very adjustable, I suggest you go slow and add mods one at a time to understand how each mod changes the overall system.

Jim,
21 gram weights, weight covers reduced to 29 mm diameter and a 2 mm Cut Cam Plate.
2 heat range hotter plug, Warn Winch, Passenger Foot Rests, Rock Deflectors, Heated Grips and Hand Mitts,
Y.A.C.C. #43
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridgway81432 For This Useful Post:
okbear (04-16-2017), Telluride (04-17-2017)
post #9 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Garage
I would think Eric's website just doesn't list the 2017. It's going to be the same as the 2016.

I think the best bang for the buck and with no internal modifications is with the big 3 kit, which he says he has dynoed and increases power 25%. While most big 3 kits include the airbox mod, the one listed on his site doesn't include it, as likely this kit was made before he made the airbox mods. A tip will mostly just be louder. The barkers duals with the spark arresters will give it a nice note, but even be a bit quieter than stock.

I would think you would want to start there, as even if you get to internals, you are still going to want to have it free flowing. Get the Barkers duals, fuel controller, airbox uni filter converter and airbox lid from him for a complete setup. I'm sure he'll cut you a deal on the whole setup, just like he does for the rest of his big 3 kits. Then do CVT mods. See if that's enough.

2016 Grizz EPS LE
Painted Red Winter Edition
26x9-12, 26x12-12 Bighorn OG
Just purchased, give me some time and this list will get much longer. Best mod here is the San Juan Mountains!
post #10 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 03:09 PM

The 25% will be at W.O.T.
Let us know how the low end performance works out.

Jim,
Y.A.C.C. #43
post #11 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Garage
I'm new to this, so I certainly don't have the experience, nor first hand knowledge, but from the torque curves and hp curves documented on you tube, there seems to be a steady increase across the entire powerband.

I guess it's all up to the OP, and what he means by waking it up. I agree tires and CVT mods to dial the bike in will allow you to tune it in to terrain and riding style, which may make enough of a difference for him, and is a good first step. It seems like those that went the big 3 route claim that it's really a whole different beast, though I haven't heard any complaints about the low end?

It's all a matter of how much you need and how much you want to spend. Reliability shouldn't suffer with either set of mods, other than additional speed can cause additional carnage, but otherwise all these mods should just optimize what's already there.

Good luck with the build!

2016 Grizz EPS LE
Just purchased, give me some time and this list will get much longer. Best mod here is the San Juan Mountains!
post #12 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 06:18 PM

Garage
Ridgway, I'm closely following your build, as I likely will be riding in the same spots as you, and you definitely seem to have it dialed in for here. I'll have to update those mods to make sense with a 708 that is already geared for factory 26" tires, but your end result throughout the range is what I will be shooting for. It's nice to have a starting point. Looking forward to riding together.

2016 Grizz EPS LE
post #13 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
Ridgway, I'm closely following your build, as I likely will be riding in the same spots as you, and you definitely seem to have it dialed in for here. I'll have to update those mods to make sense with a 708 that is already geared for factory 26" tires, but your end result throughout the range is what I will be shooting for. It's nice to have a starting point. Looking forward to riding together.
Before you get started, and as I have an older model, I suggest you determine what you have with the stock set-up. This will be important latter when you start making changes.
Start with the tires, and measure the true diameter. I do this by measuring the distance the rear tire rolls over one revolution. I call this the roll-out, which is the circumference, and put that number into the radius calculator;
Circle And Sphere Calculator
I went from 25" stock tires that actually measured less than stated, to 26" tires that measured 26.5"s true.
As a percentage, the actual difference was much more than calculated from the stated tire sizes, and this became important to understand what C.V.T. mods to do.
Then I learned my stock pulley ratio was 2.5:1, so when I added 11% taller tires I knew to increase the ratio by the same percentage to get the stock feel back. Then I went beyond that to 3.5:1. I learned to work the engine closer to the point where the torque and h.p. curves cross, most of the time.
These mods are very important the higher you ride as its the torque that is more important than the horse power, and torque can be multiplied while h.p. cannot.
Also when riding in Moab, the denser air benefit is also magnified.
Another great benefit from raising the pulley ratio is the wet clutch lives longer with hard take-off demands.
I'm sure we'll see each other on the trail.

Jim,
Y.A.C.C. #43
The Following User Says Thank You to Ridgway81432 For This Useful Post:
Telluride (04-17-2017)
post #14 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Garage
Sorry to thread jack OP, but Ridgway, do you do most of the work yourself, or use a local shop too?

2016 Grizz EPS LE
post #15 of 21 Old 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM
wgc

Garage
Ridgway does his own work and he changes ratio's on his 660 like most people change underwear. His 660 is a beast out of the hole, not to mention the "Boy can Ride". He's one of the few that I know of that can ride the "Wall" at Poughkeepsie Gulch and make it look easy. I've had the "Ridgway Experience" on numerous occasions, made me wonder a couple of times about his sanity, lol. He's a CVT Guru with the Grizzly's, he'll teach you a lot.

2004 660, 25" BigHorns, 1.5mm shim, 2.85:1 ratio, orange spring, Garmin 60CSx, Pioneer fuel pack, STi HD6 rims
2013 700EPS- Coop45 Mod#3, .7mm shim, 3.1:1 ratio, Purple Spring, Roto-Pax, 25" Bighorns, ITP SS-112, Garmin Montana 600, Plano 1510 rear box
The Following User Says Thank You to wgc For This Useful Post:
Ridgway81432 (04-17-2017)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode