Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Grizzly 600 rear end and motor help?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  grizzgreen600 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was at the local mud park ridin around and I got in a mud hole and started gettin on it in 2wd messin around and heard a snap.well then I only had one wheel pullin but I could ride in 4wd so I limped it around and got back to the truck which was probably a mile and didn't have any problems so I went and took it up to talk to someone and my wheel fell off.well the splines in my hub were ground down but not off the axle shaft it's self and I lost the nut and cotter pin.they were there when it snapped so I'm not sure how that happened but it's had a slight wobble in that wheel for the few years I've owned it but the bearing is tight.i couldn't move the axle shaft ones the hub was off.any thoughts on what might have broke in there? And will the hub or rear end off a 350 big bear rear end work . Now for my other question I'm pickin up another 600 for 100 bucks that's locked up of blown up and the plans are to fix it up so I have another wheeler to ride if I break the other one. I was planning on puttin a big bore kit and doin clutch mods if they can be done on the 600's.i was wantin the 673 big bore kit but I'm not sure if the clutch will be able to handle it cause it's probably gonna be runnin 28's at some point.any help will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Hubs wear out and the splines strip with lack of maintenance. The wobble you seen could of been a bent hub or a bent wheel. Due to the axle design on the 600, it's extremely difficult to bend. I have never seen a 600 axle bent.

If the axle splines are still in decently good condition, then you got lucky. Replace the hub, washer and nut and ride it. If you need the axle as well, this will be the expensive part. Unfortunately, as far as I know the hubs/axles only fit the 600.

I would stay away from the 600 Big Bore Kits. While they make lots of torque, they are not very reliable. They are known for over-heating (which is a problem the 600 has in stock form), and shearing decompression pins. They can also be very difficult to getting the carb jetted properly.
In my opinion, if you want it to be reliable second bike, put it back to stock piston/bore and ride it.....or use that second bike as a parts bike for the one you already have. That's probably your best bet.

#3 ·
Hubs wear out and the splines strip with lack of maintenance. The wobble you seen could of been a bent hub or a bent wheel. Due to the axle design on the 600, it's extremely difficult to bend. I have never seen a 600 axle bent.

If the axle splines are still in decently good condition, then you got lucky. Replace the hub, washer and nut and ride it. If you need the axle as well, this will be the expensive part. Unfortunately, as far as I know the hubs/axles only fit the 600.

I would stay away from the 600 Big Bore Kits. While they make lots of torque, they are not very reliable. They are known for over-heating (which is a problem the 600 has in stock form), and shearing decompression pins. They can also be very difficult to getting the carb jetted properly.

In my opinion, if you want it to be reliable second bike, put it back to stock piston/bore and ride it.....or use that second bike as a parts bike for the one you already have. That's probably your best bet.

It's wobbled ever since I've owned it for the last 4 years or so but we think the spline's striped and the nut broke and that was the snap I heard. I'll find out when I get this other one I'll use the hub off it but mine needs a lot of work so I was gonna put one to 635 and one at 673 and have the 635 for my main wheeler but I go to a lot of mud parks and I wanna have one for playin and one just ridin. I was gonna put an oversized oil cooler located on the rack on the mud wheeler to help keep it cool.the reason for boring both is that mine has been rebuilt twice or 3 times since I've had it from sinking it and every time we go into the motor we always hone and re ring it but it's starting to use oil agian and blow lots of blue smoke and is leakin oil from the head.

#6 ·
Were you using metric or sae Allen keys? Everything on a Yamaha is metric.
You can try driving a torx bit into them with a hammer to remove.

#8 ·
On the big bore kit yall said there had about over heating and shearing decompression pins.my plan to get around the over heating was a large oil cooler mounted on the rack to keep it up outta the mud because I'm gonna make it a mud toy and keep my other one for just riding. It'll be snorkeled with a clutch kit and a lift and I want the most power I can get out of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.