Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

grizzly 550eps vs kingquad 500axi

This is a discussion on grizzly 550eps vs kingquad 500axi within the Grizzly Talk forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I would like to update my present grizzly 350 4x4 to one with independent suspension, efi, and power steering. I will admit I am biased ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

idahotruckman is on a distinguished road
03-12-2010, 10:22 PM
grizzly 550eps vs kingquad 500axi

I would like to update my present grizzly 350 4x4 to one with independent suspension, efi, and power steering. I will admit I am biased toward Yamaha, as my little 350 has served me well.
I have reviewed many reviews on the grizzly 550 eps and they all seem favorable. However, Yamaha has a rather steep price on these machines in comparison to the Suzuki Kingquad 500axi. The 500axi reviews indicate that it is extremely comfortable, reliable, and has a stellar tranny and engine. Suzuki has apparently worked out the "twitchyness" of the steering on the 500axi. It is significantly cheaper than the Yamaha.
The Kingquad has a little less power, but I plan on trail rides and using the quad for a little work on my property.
So those of you with any experience with those machines, or knowledge of such - I should would appreciate your input about which machine might be the most value for the money.
Thanks for the great forum!
Idahotruckman
idahotruckman is offlineReport Post
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

03-13-2010, 06:34 AM
there is a reason Yamaha cost more. Ya get what ya pay for.

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post

oldstyle is a glorious beacon of lightoldstyle is a glorious beacon of lightoldstyle is a glorious beacon of lightoldstyle is a glorious beacon of lightoldstyle is a glorious beacon of light

03-13-2010, 06:34 AM
You can't go wrong with either bike. Three friends each have a Suzuki 700 so I've ridden and compared them with my Grizzly 700. I prefer the Grizzly and paid $500 more for it. All of these bikes have 1,000 plus miles without problems.

penngrizz has much to be proud ofpenngrizz has much to be proud ofpenngrizz has much to be proud ofpenngrizz has much to be proud ofpenngrizz has much to be proud ofpenngrizz has much to be proud ofpenngrizz has much to be proud ofpenngrizz has much to be proud of

03-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Do yourself a favor get the yamaha. You will not be disappointed.
penngrizz is offlineReport Post
Ride to Live!

COtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2010, 11:58 PM
My bro rides a Suzuki 500. Not a bad machine. His is a 05 and it has a solid rear axle. It is also not efi. No lockers. He had 6k miles on it, runs fine. My old Yamaha has close to 8k miles on it.
Yamaha is a better 4x4 machine. Quality is great. IRS.

What are your application needs for the machine?

If you don't mind, what is price on a 500axi?

Last edited by COtoMTgriz; 03-18-2010 at 12:00 AM..
COtoMTgriz is offlineReport Post

UpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Besides being the better bike, don't forget, theres a lot more you get with the Yamaha than meets the eye.

US !!!!

Well worth the extra money and more !

Ricochet Skid Plates & Rock Sliders
Superwinch ATV2300 w/Amsteel Blue
Mad Mike Clutch Mods 2 & 3 w/orange 2ndary spring
Plano Rear Box
Rotopax Fuel Pack
Tomahawk Front Bumber w/Rigid D2's

2009 Rhino 700 Black Special Edition
27in Sedona Rip Saw on ITP Black SS108 Wheels
Viper Max 4000 w/Amsteel Blue
Yoshimura RS-8 Muffler, K&N Filter, EZ Steer Power Steering
J Strong Roof w/lights & stereo
J Strong Full Windshield
J Strong Front & Rear Bumpers
J Strong Dual Battery Isolator

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population.

Last edited by UpstateNYGrizz; 03-18-2010 at 07:57 AM..
UpstateNYGrizz is offlineReport Post
Ride to Live!

COtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Few more spec's for you to consider. Going off MSRP, the Yamaha is $500 more from what I saw, but thats not your out the door, you can get them much better deals. Mine was out of the crate for 1200 less than MSRP from a dealer - not 1 fee, just tax.

Suzuki vs Yamaha side by side
493cc vs 558cc
2 disc and sealed oil bath rear brake vs 4 disc on the Yamaha
The Suzuki is 1'' wider in wheelbase and general width
The Suzuki is about 3'' longer
The Suzuki is just over 2'' higher
Suzuki is 60lbs heavier at 661 lbs. (Suzuki dry is 661, Yamaha wet is 648). Suzuki is over 700 easy with fluids. That is a heavy machine for 493cc.
Suzuki is 6.7 travel in front, 7.7 rear, 11' of ground clearance
Yamaha is 7.1 and 9.5 travel, and 11.8 ground clearance and its adjustable 5 ways, Suzuki is not.

Yamaha hold almost a gallon more of gas. Suzuki being a heavier machine might burn more gas and it holds less, so consider that or bring gas with you.

Overall, the Suzuki is a larger, heavier machine with less power, travel, and clearance.

Also remember the design of a Grizzly, fuel tank is centrally located under the seat, so its more stable, lighter, and still has more clearance everywhere...That is HUGE with ATV's. Imagine on a trail which machine is more user friendly and safe.

Lastly, from what I read is the fuel light and such on a Grizzly is digital with a warning light, on a Suzuki, its a little gauge. (not that accurate).

Sources:
King Quad 500 AXi
2009/2010 Yamaha Griz 550 EPS

ATV.com Side by side of Yamaha vs Suzuki

Last edited by COtoMTgriz; 03-18-2010 at 11:19 AM..
COtoMTgriz is offlineReport Post

GRIZBOB has a spectacular aura aboutGRIZBOB has a spectacular aura about

03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Last fall I traveled that same road trying to decide tween the zook & Grizz. The zook sure felt good, smooth and comfortable. No brand loyalty as my past experiences are mostly with an older Vinson and an even older Big bear.
Loved that Vinson, wished they still made it. The Big bear is still one of the most capable machines I've ever ridden.
Back to the 500 vs 550, the Grizz seemed to have a little more snap than the king, Zook felt like the suspension wanted to roll under on hard cornering, liked the smaller-lighter feel of the Grizz, Sealed rear brake on king sure seems like a good idea but it sure is mushy, Grizz brakes bring things too a quick stop with just finger tips, looking over the small details switches, controls, levers, connectors, and so on, the Grizz just seemed to be of better build quality.
Oh and aftermarket support of the Grizz is far better.
GRIZBOB is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Search tags for this page
500 king quad vs 550 grizzly
grizzly 550 vs king quad 500
grizzly 550 vs king quad 550

king quad 500 vs grizzly 550

king quad vs grizzly
kingquad 500 vs grizzly 550

suzuki king quad 500 problems

suzuki king quad 500 review

suzuki king quad 500 vs yamaha grizzly 550
suzuki king quad 500axi review
suzuki king quad vs yamaha grizzly
suzuki vs yamaha atv
suzuki vs yamaha atvs
yamaha grizzly vs suzuki king quad
yamaha vs suzuki atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.