Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Warn winch line broke while snow plowing...

This is a discussion on Warn winch line broke while snow plowing... within the Grizzly Talk forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; ok so i have a brand new warn provantage plow system with a brand new rt2500 winch on my 09 grizz 700. i have the ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

grizz700nj is on a distinguished road

12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Warn winch line broke while snow plowing...

ok so i have a brand new warn provantage plow system with a brand new rt2500 winch on my 09 grizz 700. i have the standard winch cable that comes with the winch. i used it a couple times and loved it. recently we were blasted in the northeast with a descent blizzard and i used it quite a bit for 3 days strait... as i was plowing tonight the winch cable snapped and broke. i looked at the winch line and it was beat to hell. funny coincidence is that it happened to my brother in law yesterday on his can am and we chalked it up as bad luck... but now we are wondering if it is a flaw in the warn winch line. does anyone have any experience like this? any good remedies? any advice on to prevent it from happening in the future?

Dan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't know if you have one already, but they make those little rubber donuts that fit between the end of the cable and where the cable feeds into the rollers (or hawse if you have that). That's pretty cheap insurance and saves on multiple parts.
RED 2002 Grizzly 660, 28" Gorilla Silverbacks, Wiseco 11:1 Piston, HotCams Stage 1 Raptor Cam, Raptor Valve Springs, DizGrizz Serious Air Filter Mod HERE, K&N Air Filter, Custom Rad Relocate, 1mm Shim, 660 Mega-Air Snorkels HERE,Powermadd Handguards, ODI Rogue Grips.
Dan1724 is offlineReport Post

burntwoodsboy will become famous soon enough

12-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm hearing more ond more people going the way of Nylon flat cable, probably stronger and has a small amount of give to it. Ive used my 2500 warn a few times hauling logs and it's kinked badly already.

2010 700 FI EPS Stock out of the box.
Aftermarket rear bumper, fender extensions, hitch reciever, back seat,
Ran out of money, come on Payday!!!!
burntwoodsboy is offlineReport Post

grizz700nj is on a distinguished road

12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
its not the issue of the hook pulling into the fairlead, so im not sure the rubber donut would help. the damaged area is the first 24-36 inches that gets used while the plow is raised and lowered while plowing. the winch cable looks kinked and frayed in many spots. it seems that the friction of the metal to metal contact of the cable to fairlead is an issue. or maybe its the angle of the winch cable going from the fairlead down to the plow. whatever it is really sucks

jake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond repute
01-03-2011, 05:19 PM
are you backing up before lifting the plow.
jake72 is offlineReport Post

Steelworker is on a distinguished road

01-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Try the synthetic rope. Its much better for plowing snow. I have also heard of people using seatbelts from a junk car, or tow straps that have been shortened.
Steelworker is offlineReport Post

awames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of light

01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
i broke the wifes cable on her 450 saturday was pushing wet dirt and forgot to back up first, i lost about 1 foot with repair. i repaired using a flemish eye, its where u seperate the cable into 2 parts and weave them together, we use it on a crane with 1 1/2inch cable, its easy and takes less than 5 mins. and if done right u dont need any clamps
china 49cc 4 wheeler for son 9 yr old]
electric 4 wheeler for son [5 yr old]
payed $50 for a non runner needs carb, cable, throttle to run
nothing for my daughter yet [2 yr old]

just added a 1.1mm shim $.48

Green Grizzly Owners Club #2
awames76 is offlineReport Post

Transam355 is just really niceTransam355 is just really niceTransam355 is just really niceTransam355 is just really niceTransam355 is just really nice

01-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I broke my cable once and switched to a 2" wide ratchet strap 1200 lbs load capacity works great it spreads the load and stress across the whole roller fairlead instead of just a 1/4" from cable.If your fairlead is chewed up from your cable smooth it out or u will most likely rip or tear the strap.So basically 12 bucks and no issues since last winter about mid way threw.
Transam355 is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Transam355 For This Useful Post:
DigginGrizz700 (01-06-2011)
I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I use old seatbelt when plowing and it works perfect.
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

~Muckboy is offlineReport Post

UpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond repute

01-03-2011, 08:19 PM
The problem with the winch cable or rope snapping has very little to do with the wear on the end of the cable or the angle it is coming out of your roller/hause fairled. The problem occurss usually when your overload the cable. This can happen several different ways. Winch cable/rope is not made does not stretch like a seatbelt or towstrap does, thus does not absorb or store energy. Therefore when you hit something when plowing or run your plow into the snowbank, you increase the tension and load on the rope. When this happens, sometimes the shock and increased load at that point is enough to cause the rope to snap. Other times it places the rope at its limits and something as easy as trying to winch up the plow while still under load is enough to exceed the ropes limits. Back out of the snowbank a little and continue to back out while winching the plow up.

The rope is not made to absorb this shock, it is made for a steady load, like when you are winching. This is the same reason you are not suppose to pull with the ATV when you are connected with the winch line. If you pull with your ATV you should be using a tow strap like the Tiger Tail or other brand which is made to absorb energy.
Ricochet Skid Plates & Rock Sliders
Superwinch ATV2300 w/Amsteel Blue
Mad Mike Clutch Mods 2 & 3 w/orange 2ndary spring
Plano Rear Box
Rotopax Fuel Pack
Tomahawk Front Bumber w/Rigid D2's

2009 Rhino 700 Black Special Edition
27in Sedona Rip Saw on ITP Black SS108 Wheels
Viper Max 4000 w/Amsteel Blue
Yoshimura RS-8 Muffler, K&N Filter, EZ Steer Power Steering
J Strong Roof w/lights & stereo
J Strong Full Windshield
J Strong Front & Rear Bumpers
J Strong Dual Battery Isolator

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population.
UpstateNYGrizz is offlineReport Post

rick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud of

01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Save your cable for winching out. Use a strap or seatbelt for plowing. I used two strands of 1800 lbs mule tape, and I broke it three times while plowing 12-18 inches of snow last week. I re-wound it with 4 strands and it worked perfect. UpstateNYgrizz is correct; one split second of too much tension on that cable will snap it.

My theory is that I don't care how many times I snap my winter setup. I just don't want to have a weakened cable when I have to winch out of something.

01-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Make sure the roller fairlead is smooth when you switch to something other than the steel cable. If you don't, then whatever you put on your winch will be torn up in a short amount of time. I took my roller fairlead and just rotated it 180'. Saves you from having to buy a new one.

Kurt V is on a distinguished road

01-04-2011, 10:18 AM
So do you guys completely unwind and remove the wire rope and then how do you attach whatever strap, belt, etc.?
Kurt V is offlineReport Post

01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Yes, remove the steel cable from the winch before you put anything else on it.

rick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud of

01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I removed the cable completely. To attach my strap, I was able to stuff it through the hole in the spool and tie a figure-8 knot. My strap/muletape covered up the knot with no problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Search tags for this page
atv plow webbing winch
atv winch limit switch
four wheeler winch and plow

grizzly 450 plow cable how does it hook to wench

how do you make some thing to stop my snow plow from going to high and snapping by cable
how to fix broken wiinch line snow plow four wheeler
how to hook up a winch cable on warn provantage plow
how to hook winch to warn plow on atv
how to keep winch cable from snapping

how to tie a nylon strap to winch rope for atv snow plow

i snapped the cable on my winch on my atv i need someone to show me how to fix it so i can plow snow
warn atv winch cable broke
warn snow plow
what winch for warn plow
why does my winch rope break while plowing
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.