Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Spark plug change. How often?

This is a discussion on Spark plug change. How often? within the Grizzly Talk forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; For the 700 guys. How often are you needing to change spark plugs? For me it seems to be every 400 miles or so. I ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

grizz4me is on a distinguished road

01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Spark plug change. How often?

For the 700 guys. How often are you needing to change spark plugs?

For me it seems to be every 400 miles or so. I know to change it when idle isn't as smooth or doesn't start up right away or will do the stall thing more often than usual.
grizz4me is offlineReport Post

SierraGrizz is a splendid one to beholdSierraGrizz is a splendid one to beholdSierraGrizz is a splendid one to beholdSierraGrizz is a splendid one to beholdSierraGrizz is a splendid one to beholdSierraGrizz is a splendid one to beholdSierraGrizz is a splendid one to beholdSierraGrizz is a splendid one to behold

01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Change spark-plug every year or about 800 miles with OEM plug. Works just fine for me and have about 1600 miles and have an 08 Grizzly 700.
SierraGrizz is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,120 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
These 09s and up have different plugs than the earlier models and they EAT them fast. I'm not the kind of guy who waits around for poor performance to happen. 250 miles and the plug gets thrown away and a new one put in. I change the oil-oil filter-plug and clean the airfilter OFTEN- that's the way I like to roll. If I wanted to putt putt around not changing anything I would own a honda.

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

Aarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
WUN why couldn't you just run a hotter plug
Louisiana mud boggers member #2
"YACC" member #1
Owner of Axle Customs ATV
2004 720 grizz with alot of other shit!

Rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.
Aarons grizznizz is offlineReport Post
DJ

Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,481 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
08 700 3300 mi. Have changed the plug one time after fouling on a cold start up in 30* temps at about 1500 mi. Other than that one time it has always started and run great.

09 550 2400 mi. Have never changed the plug. Starts and runs great.

IMO, the key to long plug life is to warm up the engine before giving any heavy throttle and to make sure and have some run time at high RPMS to keep the plug cleaned off. In other words, don't just "putt" around and then shut the motor off especially on a cold engine!!!

Those that have fuel controllers make sure you don't run too rich!!!!!

I do carry spare plugs on the bikes because you never know!!
08 Camo 700EPS, 26" BH OGs on Blk 108's, 1" frnt whl spcrs, Elka Stg 2, RDC 2" lift , Rhino axels, EHS Bullet Box & lid mod w/K&N, Dyna FS, HMF Swamp Exh, Coop45 sheave, greaseless wts, purple spring, Yami US HD frt bumper, Bison Hunter rear bumper, ViperMax 3500 w/syn line, ATVrocks skids & Rock Sliders, Rox risers & Solex tapered quad bars, Roto Pax, PIAA Intense White H4's, Plano 1510 rear box.
AZ08Grizz is offlineReport Post

ChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud of

01-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I change my plug often. In my case, that's about every 20 hours. It gets harder to start and I know I need to service the filter and change the plug. Not that it won't run much, much longer on a plug, but I can tell it gets a little finickey when starting and playing in the deep water.

These things go through plugs for some reason.

I don't putt-putt around too much, but I don't get many long, high speed runs either. In my case, I'm sure running them in the mud and them slamming them into the rivers and creeks creates temperature spikes and shortens the life of the plug.

Last edited by ChrisH; 01-11-2011 at 04:07 PM..
ChrisH is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,120 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons grizznizz View Post
WUN why couldn't you just run a hotter plug
Because people don't post up saying a hotter plug fixes the plug problem on these 09s and up. I always warm my engine up good when I get ready to ride. I never putt around much either, I work that engine alot. Sticking a new plug in there frequently doesn't bother me at all. I could care less. The plug isn't on my list of things to worry about. I know what to do, take them out frequently and throw them away. This isn't what everybody should do, do what ya want with yours

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

Aarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
No I'm not saying you I'm just saying in general. I put a hotter plug in mine when I did all my mods and I've never had to change mine and it still looks good. Now,before I was running rich that's why I tried a hotter plug.
Louisiana mud boggers member #2
"YACC" member #1
Owner of Axle Customs ATV
2004 720 grizz with alot of other shit!

Rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.
Aarons grizznizz is offlineReport Post

keeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond reputekeeter has a reputation beyond repute

01-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I agree with most of whats been said, it all adds up to your riding style, mods, conditions of your quad and the terrain you ride in and what works for you. Like mentioned carry spares because nobody knows when ones gonna go south on you and you know your riding partners most of the time don't have a spare plug!
Hell it aint rocket science it's common sense!
keeter is offlineReport Post
Moab Aficionado

Gusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond reputeGusman has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
1500 miles but it still looked nice. Good mocha tan color.
03camo660 (01-13-2011)

NeoNate77 has a spectacular aura aboutNeoNate77 has a spectacular aura about

01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Amen. The 09's Eat them. Every 10 - 20 hours, I'll pull it out and check it. I went through 2 in 09, and just changed mine while doing fluid change last week. Start's like crap, idles like crap, time to change plug. I always keep a spare.
Full Muzzy Exhuast
Dyna FS Ignition
Uni Filter
Coop mods 2 and 3
16g Weights
Faast Flexx bars
ROX 3.5" Risers
26" Zillas on 14" MSA M12 GREEN Diesels
26" Swamp Lites on stockers for the salt
6000k HID's
PIAA 510 SMR's

"Never let a Polaris go first"

Last edited by NeoNate77; 01-13-2011 at 07:03 PM..
NeoNate77 is offlineReport Post

Mill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud ofMill has much to be proud of

01-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I also change my plug, oil, filter, diffs and clean the air filter alot.

Considering it is so cheap to keep it all fresh, the question is why not do it a few times a year/season. Whats cheaper, a little maintenance here and there or a new engine?

Piece of mind for me and hopefully I can extend the grizz's lifespan due to all the abuse I inflict on it.
ODI Grips
Ricochet Guards
Kimpex rear box
Uni Filter
26" Swamp Lites
Warn Winch
1" Wheel spacers
2R Tip
Mill is offlineReport Post

DRKnight5515 is a glorious beacon of lightDRKnight5515 is a glorious beacon of lightDRKnight5515 is a glorious beacon of lightDRKnight5515 is a glorious beacon of lightDRKnight5515 is a glorious beacon of lightDRKnight5515 is a glorious beacon of light

01-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I have 8500 miles on my Grizz now and am on the second plug. The first plug was changed at around 3500 miles and looked good and no issues. Runs and idles fine and gets excellent fuel mileage. I will be changing it at the next service, but just for peace of mind, not because it is worn out.
Mad Dog bags,Pioneer Jr fuel packs. Garmin 276C GPS...
DRKnight5515 is offlineReport Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRKnight5515 For This Useful Post:
AZ08Grizz (01-14-2011), COtoMTgriz (01-14-2011)
Ride to Live!

COtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond reputeCOtoMTgriz has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2011, 11:39 AM
It seems the more engine mods, the more you monkey with it. Its makes sense, your getting more out of the motor, so maybe it burns plug faster.

I'm at 1000 miles on mine, 70 hours, and always let it warm up while I gear up. Runs like a top. I don't plan on changing it until it runs bad. Even on the trail if it took a crap, I'd hope to be able to clean it enough to get me to my truck. Plugs, in my experience are not on / off, they run like crap and enough to get you home.

I follow my manual for all service. I'm not a mudder, and lucky to get water over the wheels every 100 miles I've gone.

Now if I lived were a real griz could tear me apart while walking back ( i've had to walk back in CO), I'd carry an extra and sidearm.
COtoMTgriz is offlineReport Post

07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Mine usually gets changed ever couple hundred miles but thats cause keep changing stuff and always throw in a new plug.
07grizzlymud is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Search tags for this page
08 yamaha grizzly 700 spark plugs
2008 yamaha grizzly 700 spark plug change
changing spark plug in yamaha rhino
dow to change a sparkplug in a 2008 yamaha grizzly 700 atv

grizzly 700 spark plug change

grizzly 700 spark plug location
how do you know if 01 yamaha 350 4 wheeler is getting proper spark
how offend do you change the spark plug in a yamaha atv
how often to change atv spark plug
how to change spark plug on a 2008 grizzly 700
how to change spark plug on grizzly 700
how to change spark plugs on yamaha grizzly 700
when to change sparks plug on yamaha atv
yamaha grizzly 400 atv spark plug

yamaha grizzly 700 spark plug location

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.