Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Broke my winch cable while plowing, how do I fix it?

This is a discussion on Broke my winch cable while plowing, how do I fix it? within the Grizzly Talk forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; So the plow has been working great this winter right up until I snapped the last 12 inches of cable down by where the cable ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

Xeo

Xeo is on a distinguished road
01-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Broke my winch cable while plowing, how do I fix it?

So the plow has been working great this winter right up until I snapped the last 12 inches of cable down by where the cable runs through the pulley on the plow assembly. It looks like I could just simply cut the frayed end and reattach the hook, but I don't know if there are any techniques and also what is that clear material I see that they use to bind the cable back to itself after it goes through the eye of the hook? Thanks in advance.
Xeo is offlineReport Post

Poorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to behold

01-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Use the Search feature in the forum. Loop the cable to it self and use 2 cable clamps. After you break the cable 10 or 20 more times or just want it right use a boat winch strap or a seat belt.
Also you will need a new fairlead.Warn winch line broke while snow plowing...
Poorfolks 1 inch HD lift
Poorfolks exhaust mod
handwarmers
Warn winch & fiddy inch eagle plow
sway bar delete
reverse light
4 Maxxis 25/10/12s
SS 108s
Poorfolks is offlineReport Post

awames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of lightawames76 is a glorious beacon of light

01-22-2011, 09:13 AM
theres a few ways, i use a flemish eye, u take about 8 to 10 inches and split the cable, 3 strands and 4 strands, take the 3 strand and put the middle of it and put it where the 2 split then take the 4 strand and wrap it around the 3 strand when u get to the end wrap the 2 together and i use a clamp to keep the end nice, u can do it in about 3 to 5 mins after uve doen a few, u dont even have to cut the end, ive done it outside, all u need is a wrench for the clamp, if interested i can make a video, we do a flemish eye with 1 1/2 cable its a little harder

where co u live?

other ways are 3 or 4 clamps or new crimp clamps

im sure there are other ways that people like
china 49cc 4 wheeler for son 9 yr old]
electric 4 wheeler for son [5 yr old]
payed $50 for a non runner needs carb, cable, throttle to run
nothing for my daughter yet [2 yr old]

just added a 1.1mm shim $.48

Green Grizzly Owners Club #2
awames76 is offlineReport Post

Wemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant futureWemac has a brilliant future

01-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Cable clamps work great but the crimp on ones look better. If you are using the clamps ( ubolt and saddle type) remember "never saddle a dead horse" meaning the u bolt goes on the piece of cable that you fold over to make the loop.
09 Blue Armour 700EPS 27" XTR's on 14's, HMF utility, K&N, HMF Optimizer, Mad Mikes mod's 2&3, 8-16 gram weights with orange secondary spring, Tiger Tail, Full Ricochet Skids, Warn XT 2500, Tamarack rear box, Rotopax gas/gas, storage/first aid. 08 Blue 700FI 27" XTR's on 12's, PCIII, K&N, Full Ricochet Skids, Warn RT 2500. Wemac
Wemac is offlineReport Post

Rivan has a spectacular aura aboutRivan has a spectacular aura about

01-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wemac View Post
Cable clamps work great but the crimp on ones look better. If you are using the clamps ( ubolt and saddle type) remember "never saddle a dead horse" meaning the u bolt goes on the piece of cable that you fold over to make the loop.
Yesssir! X2 Excelent point Wemac.

The cable clamps do have a direction...if the u-bolt is put over the tension cable, you are going to have a weak link because it will kink the cable. The saddle displaces the pressure more, not damaging it. I did it bass-akwards the first time.
Red 2000 Grizzly 600, 27" Pirelli Mudwisers, 2" wheel spacers, 33 AH Battery upgrade, UNI Filter, Shifter Mod, Stock 2000Lb Warn Winch, Rivan built Plow, Superwinch handlebar switch upgrade kit, red LEDs around headlights.

View my garage:
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...age-16903.html
Rivan is offlineReport Post

rick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud of

01-23-2011, 07:15 AM
The best idea I have ever read in here about this is to replace the cable with a boat winch strap. It is $10 at walmart. Get a new cable (or fix it) and put it on it when spring rolls around.

01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick25s View Post
The best idea I have ever read in here about this is to replace the cable with a boat winch strap. It is $10 at walmart. Get a new cable (or fix it) and put it on it when spring rolls around.
Some guys on here use a seatbelt from an old car. The problem with buying a strap is that you should use a new roller fairlead as the one from the cable will be too abrasive and damage the strap.
Red 2000 Grizzly 600, 27" Pirelli Mudwisers, 2" wheel spacers, 33 AH Battery upgrade, UNI Filter, Shifter Mod, Stock 2000Lb Warn Winch, Rivan built Plow, Superwinch handlebar switch upgrade kit, red LEDs around headlights.

View my garage:

froy is a jewel in the roughfroy is a jewel in the roughfroy is a jewel in the roughfroy is a jewel in the rough

01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
you can take the roller out of the fairlead and slide a 4" pice of plastic heat shrink over it.boat strap will not wear out
froy is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to froy For This Useful Post:
Rivan (01-24-2011)

01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by froy View Post
you can take the roller out of the fairlead and slide a 4" pice of plastic heat shrink over it.boat strap will not wear out
That's a great idea....thanks

View my garage:

kfp673 is a glorious beacon of lightkfp673 is a glorious beacon of lightkfp673 is a glorious beacon of lightkfp673 is a glorious beacon of lightkfp673 is a glorious beacon of light

01-24-2011, 05:45 PM
When you use a boat strap do you remove the existing cable first? Or do you just wind it in and add a small section of strap. If this is the case I would thin it would start getting to thick on the winch? Also, how do you run a thick strap like that through the cable pulley on the plowsince it is small and designed for a cable? Please explain. Thanks!
kfp673 is offlineReport Post

rick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud ofrick25s has much to be proud of

01-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
When you use a boat strap do you remove the existing cable first? Or do you just wind it in and add a small section of strap. If this is the case I would thin it would start getting to thick on the winch? Also, how do you run a thick strap like that through the cable pulley on the plowsince it is small and designed for a cable? Please explain. Thanks!
You take the cable off. There is no room to overlay it. You have a pulley? A strap may not work in that case. Post a pic if you can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Search tags for this page
broken winch cable
fix atv winch cable
fix winch cable
fixing winch cable
how to fix a broken winch cable

how to fix a winch cable

how to fix broken winch cable
how to fix winch cable
how to repair a broken winch cable
repairing winch cable loop
warn winch cable repair
winch cable clamp
winch cable crimping tool
winch cable end repair

winch cable repair

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.